Author Topic: Rubbing noise after replacing the chain.  (Read 2580 times)

Rubbing noise after replacing the chain.
« on: 29 November, 2010, 08:03:08 pm »
My chain has worn so I replaced it but noticed marks on the cassette.

When I ride the bike, there's a noise from the rear of the drivetrain when I pedal but it's not there when the bike is in the workstand.

Changing back to the original chain, the noise disappears. Changed the cassette (to an old but not worn one) & I get the same problem with the new chain.

I've checked the shifting & the B screw & everything seems fine but I can't fathom out where the noise is coming from.

The noise becomes more evident when the larger sprockets are used. I also noticed that the rear mech springs ack & forth when.

Ideas??

Re: Rubbing noise after replacing the chain.
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:06:03 pm »
Your cassette needs replacing too.

« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:09:25 pm »
Is that side wear on both sides of the sprockets or just on the side shown? How many sprockets are on the cassette and is the chain a compatible one?

If the side wear is on one side, are the limit screws and indexing correct?

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:10:33 pm »

He's tried a "not worn" one though.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:23:29 pm »

He's tried a "not worn" one though.

Rusky needs to measure the old chain as described on Sheldon Brown Chain Maintenance ("Measuring Chain Wear")
I'm sure Tewdric is right and that the old chain will be past the point where the sprockets and the chain both need replacing

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:53:21 pm »
Old & new chain

Both chains are same make & model.

The cassette that's on the bike now isn't new but hasn't done more than a couple of hundred miles.

8 sp cassette & chain & the marks are only on the outer face.

I think I'll order a new cassette & chain so I know where I'm starting from.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #6 on: 01 December, 2010, 02:10:50 pm »
IMO just needs bedding in. After about 50 to 100miles, the non matching corners will wear off the sprockets, and it will quieten donwn

That at least is what happened to my hub gear when I replaced a worn chain.

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2010, 01:25:45 pm »
Right, fitted a new chain & cassette but it's no different.

Indexing is spot on & B-screw adjustment is fine.

During the ride in, I did notice that the cage was flicking back & forth slightly.

Any more ideas??

« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:02:20 pm »
If it makes the noise when you are pedalling, but not when in the workstand, it might be nothing to do with the chain/cassette.  Are the bearings in the cassette carrier or hub getting very worn?  Do you have loose spokes? 

And given your last comment, are you absolutely sure the noise is from the rear end, and not the chain touching the front mech cage?  Again, slight give in the components when pedalling can distort the line slightly.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:16:07 pm »
The rear mech shouldn't be relevent if it was ok with the previous chain, and the new chain is the same length.

It just may be that the new chain is noisier because of the way it fits the teeth (despite the cassette being new as well), or because it contains less gunge to quiten it.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:18:55 pm »
I read the title as "Rubbing nose after replacing chain".   I was expecting tales of oily facial grime.

I'm disappointed. :(

« Reply #11 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:23:33 pm »

During the ride in, I did notice that the cage was flicking back & forth slightly.

Any more ideas??

The cage flicking back and forth makes me suspect that in fact the indexing is slightly out.   Maybe only a quarter turn on the cable adjuster.
or possibly jockey wheels sticking ?

« Reply #12 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:19:07 pm »
On the way home I found that in the largest chainring it doesn't seem to happen.

The indexing is definitely spot on, hub bearings were checked about 200 miles ago.

I'm wondering if the jockey wheels are worn in some way?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #13 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:31:19 pm »
I appreciate you think the noise is coming from the rear, but now I would suspect your smaller chainring(s) are the cause, since it doesn't happen when on the largest ring.

Sprocket (including jockey wheel) teeth get spikier as they wear.

You can just carry on if the chain isn't skipping over the teeth.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 07 December, 2010, 12:21:19 pm »
Cage or jockey arm?  If jockey arm, then that plus rubbing makes me immediately suspect the #1 Numpty Error when refitting chains (we all do it) running it over the guide tab mid-arm instead of under it. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2010, 12:27:12 pm »
Cage or jockey arm?  If jockey arm, then that plus rubbing makes me immediately suspect the #1 Numpty Error when refitting chains (we all do it) running it over the guide tab mid-arm instead of under it. 

Did that myself this morning. Had just refitted the chain and gone inside to warm my hands back up before riding off. Got 10yards up the road only to have to repeat the whole process.

It's amazing how quickly fingers lose their dexterity in these temps.

« Reply #16 on: 10 December, 2010, 11:06:53 pm »
No different as in your original post, i.e. it's noisy? I find it helpful to lube even a brand new chain liberally and as someone said upthread, it will bed down quite quickly.

Any more ideas??
I usually find that when the cage flicks back and forth, assuming the indexing is OK, it's down to worn jockey wheels. I find I have to replace the wheels quite often - say every third or fourth chain - if I want things to stay smooth. I've found the Tacx ones seem to last a bit longer. Decent jockey wheels can help keep the indexing good too.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #17 on: 10 December, 2010, 11:28:58 pm »
Then its the front chain ring (s) that need replacing.

« Reply #18 on: 11 December, 2010, 06:59:50 am »
In the skip with it, and get a new bike