Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2161453 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14300 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:10:35 pm »
Fitted disc, cassette and valve to HK’s shiny replacement wheel. Tyre and sealant tomorrow.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14301 on: 15 February, 2020, 01:17:18 pm »
Tyre and sealant into HK’s Kinesis’ wheel today after a run of late night working preventing fettling. The directional tread is reversed but I’m not too concerned about a rear road tread pattern.

Straightened up the rear wheel on my fixed after pulling it across during Friday’s commute. Rather than straighten along the way, I just rode gently home hoping not to throw the chain or jam the tyre against the chainstay. Lazy, I know, but the spanner is bolted under the bidon cage and just too much faff when I was already late leaving the office.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14302 on: 15 February, 2020, 01:20:13 pm »
A fruit cake. At a late stage in the proceedings I found that my Galaxy tablet I was reading the recipe off had slipped and was obstructing the scales, restricting their movement and possibly bollixing up the quantities.  The proof of the cake is in the eating , in a bit over an hour's time.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14303 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:35:57 pm »
The clutch on my venerable Makita went buggerup, not unexpected so I hied me down to ITS, there to buy a replacement. I looked at the Bosch, but the build quality was shockingly bad and have ended up with another Makita.

Anyhow, I thought I might have a fettle of the old gearbox, nothing ventured and all. Well, the (three speed) gearbox disassembled a little more speedily than intended, leaving an interesting Jigsaw puzzle. Satisfyingly, I got it all back together and working, although the wear justifies its replacement.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14304 on: 16 February, 2020, 06:00:37 pm »
Pulled the worn chain and cassette from the audax tandem. I thought I had replacement parts (did have a chain but no cassette the right size) and it turns out the rear mech is overly worn too. Regreased the front brake, which was sticking on one side.

Fitted a 3/32” 17t cog on the other side of my fixed’s hub.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14305 on: 17 February, 2020, 09:52:05 pm »
A replacement tube in the front wheel of my fixed during the commute home.

« Reply #14306 on: 18 February, 2020, 07:03:26 am »
A brake cable and brake pads on the sun ez3 front wheel 🙂
the slower you go the more you see

fuzzy

« Reply #14307 on: 20 February, 2020, 11:24:18 pm »
My first Bosch gen 2 Performance Line motor drop out and install today. The bike still works!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14308 on: 22 February, 2020, 08:12:33 pm »
a bit of surgery to the split seam on a pair of fingerless mitts
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14309 on: 23 February, 2020, 12:09:16 pm »
Fitted new pawls and spring to HK’s Campag Record hub after some funny behaviour during long brevets last year. Probably a greasing issue but replacing the parts improves peace of mind. At some point, I’ll have to replace the last original cone as there was a tiny change in the bearing track width. Swapped the cones side to side in the meantime. Her Roberts is basically set for the next campaign.

Fitted replacement rear mech, chain and 11-30 cassette to the audax tandem. Ready to rock and roll again.

Charged the taillights on my fixed.

Swapped in a couple of taillights on HK’s trike that are a bit brighter and less likely to be broken when knocked like the old ones.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14310 on: 23 February, 2020, 03:34:53 pm »
This weekend Pingu & I fettled the loft. Sorted out a load of tat, cardboard boxes etc and took it to the tip.
Today I tackled the foot high piles of important paperwork up there (including vet invoices for cats dead for nearly 6 yrs) and shredded so much of it I had to stop & let the shredder cool down 3 times.
Still a bag of clothes up there to go to the charidee shoppe.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14311 on: 23 February, 2020, 04:22:45 pm »
shredded so much of it I had to stop & let the shredder cool down 3 times.

Last time that happened I got bored waiting and got the drill out...

« Reply #14312 on: 23 February, 2020, 05:26:41 pm »
Cool.....!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14313 on: 23 February, 2020, 07:43:47 pm »
Took the broken lids off my (wonderful, but not as robust as it should be) Simplehuman butterfly kitchen bin.  Replacements are out of stock.  Bollocks.  Gave it a good declag with the steam cleaner anyway.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14314 on: 23 February, 2020, 07:51:56 pm »
The shed gutter and downpipe, and the associated water butt. Hopefully the gutter can now drain freely, and the shed roof boards can (eventually) dry out.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14315 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:22:53 pm »
shredded so much of it I had to stop & let the shredder cool down 3 times.

Last time that happened I got bored waiting and got the drill out...

That is cool, but not for the likes of me. I also need to have a poke and see if I can suss out why it only sucks the paper in on one side now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14316 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:39:18 pm »
It's also a really good way to continuously distribute paper dust around the room...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14317 on: 23 February, 2020, 09:40:32 pm »
It could do with being plumbed into an LEV, really...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14318 on: 23 February, 2020, 09:50:59 pm »
I dug up the sewer vent pipe as the toilet is syphoning when flushed.
I’ve discovered the not so creative bodge that links a 6” ceramic soil pipe to the 3” cast iron down pipe that the builder used to extend the down bit across 10ft of garden to the first drain cover. The two are not quite aligned so the joining pipe isn’t squarely connected to either side and only the ceramic pipe has a socket end so the joint between the cast iron down pipe and the intermediate misc ceramic pipe was just a butt joint.
It taken 85 years to,silt up, so it’s not a totally bad bodge, but it’s going to take some effort to clear out the pipes. And I need to get some parts to make a more creative bodge joint unless I decide to replace the whole down pipe and onward underground connection. That is of course the correct way to do it, but will mean getting down and dirty with the inspection chamber and I don’t think I’m up for that.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14319 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:05:47 pm »
Sounds lovely, Beardy.

This evening I fettled 2 catnip fish (1 had a hernia so I decided to stuff some more nip in both of them).
I absolutely reeked of catnip afterwards.

« Reply #14320 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:31:53 am »
New tyre (Panaracer Ribmo 26 x 1.25) which replaced a failing Conti Gatorskin 26 x 1.125. Surprised how much difference there is in terms of effort for .125 of extra tyre. Might move it to the rear. Also the rotary fastener cable on a shoe had snapped so I used a thin braided steel cable and the closure now closes

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14321 on: 25 February, 2020, 06:59:17 pm »
inspected the tyres and replaced the sealant (satisfyingly peeled the old sealant out of tyres before that).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14322 on: 29 February, 2020, 05:05:11 pm »
Flint-mined the tyres on HK’s MTB commuter and removed the Blackburn rack (panniers wearing through the Al rods) and the clapped out SPD pedals frozen into the cranks. Removed the bolt stub remaining in the dropout <sigh> before fitting the new Topeak rack. The ancient Vistalite didn’t fit on the rack mount, so a Blackburn taillight was pressed into service. New SS mudguard bolts all round. New pedals to be ordered and fitted, if the crank threads aren’t too bad, otherwise pedal bushes will also be needed.

Cleaned back the bodged Cyo for another go at repairing it for my fixed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14323 on: 01 March, 2020, 06:20:33 pm »
Rebuilt the Tune rear hub in HK’s Moulton. Measured it and the Moulton front hub for new spokes for the waiting Fratelli 406 tubeless rims. Hopefully there are some butted Sapim spokes available in the right sizes.

Had another go at bonding the loose brake lever pivot on my Frezoni.

Attempted to repair HK’s Knog bell but had chosen the wrong size SS spring. Time to order a spring the next size up before trying again.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #14324 on: 01 March, 2020, 06:23:02 pm »
I fettled the bejeesus out of an old Sora hub. The bearings will never run smoothly, given the rust/pitting, but it will get me to summer, and who knows what the gods will give/take by then?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?