General Category > Rides and Touring

Winter Tan Hill overnighter - now Friday 15th December

(1/27) > >>

Deano:
Here we go again - in proper winter this time.

I'm planning to take a tent, and the bunk rooms usually go fast, so book early and book often if you want a bunk bed. It's £30 for a bunk, including breakfast.

I'll plan another one in February. Let me know if there's any preference on date - OD said late Feb worked, so I'll go with that unless there are any objections.

So a quick poll - I've suggested the weekend of the 15th/16th December, which appeals to me as it's close to my birthday (and Peter's birthday, clarion's birthday, CrinklyLion's birthday, and lots of other birthdays I'm sure), and the dark of the year. It's a stupid time to go to Tan Hill (the highest pub in the UK, often snowed in), and that's kind of the point.

However, as it's peak Christmas party period, and there's always other stuff going on, it may be wrong for other reasons.

I've also suggested either the now-traditional Friday night, or the Saturday night, as Saturday would mean everyone who works your trad Mon-Fri would have the full Saturday to ride up, but trains back on the Sunday are generally more restricted.

January is also doable - maybe someone can check when it's likeliest to snow up there, as Dale really wants to camp in the snow.

February - I've put this as an option since fboab suggested it (something to do with dry January?)

There it is. Take your pick, but please note that a December date would not preclude a date later in winter :)

Oscar's dad:
Just voted for February, the later in the month the betterer.

mrcharly-YHT:

--- Quote from: Oscar's dad on 10 October, 2017, 04:49:02 am ---Just voted for February, the later in the month the betterer.

--- End quote ---
Is that because there is more chance of snow?

phantasmagoriana:

--- Quote from: mrcharly-YHT on 10 October, 2017, 08:12:21 am ---
--- Quote from: Oscar's dad on 10 October, 2017, 04:49:02 am ---Just voted for February, the later in the month the betterer.

--- End quote ---
Is that because there is more chance of snow?

--- End quote ---

Snow does sound fun. It would give me an excuse to ride the MTB!

I voted January because I could only pick one option - but anything other than 15th December would work.

D.A.L.E.:
How good does this look man?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version