Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 847052 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5150 on: 13 April, 2021, 03:38:17 pm »
And then there's the Holy Order of Jenolites, who follow the Word of St. Mick and paint everything black.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5151 on: 13 April, 2021, 04:30:05 pm »
I see no mention of the Skatalites.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5152 on: 13 April, 2021, 04:56:58 pm »
Me ears are alight.

ian

« Reply #5153 on: 13 April, 2021, 05:24:45 pm »
If you had read the Book of Mormon, which was faithfully transcribed word for word by Mr Smith upon Heavenly Pain, you'd know that angels actually speaketh just like the King James Bible.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5154 on: 13 April, 2021, 08:21:48 pm »
I tried bleaching the black bits on the silicone round the shower. I learned that not only did it do next to sod all (as expected) but it also turned some of it pink as well.
Not a very successful experiment, but worth a try.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5155 on: 13 April, 2021, 08:35:57 pm »
I learned that recently too. I suspect it might work if you don't leave it untouched for > 5 years.
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #5156 on: 13 April, 2021, 08:48:40 pm »
Once upon a time (when we moved into this place and discovered that yes, we were going to have to live here for a while before the period known as the Great Refurbishment, and it was skanky), I discovered a substance, a restorative nothing short of miraculous. It smelt of the sort of chemicals that could dispose of the bodies and scrap metal, and would send lily-livered regulators running for the hills where'd they hide and cry like scaredy little boys. A no-nonsense kick in the gametangia for any outbreak of mould smaller than an overweight hippo. I went mental and demoulded a small county. Late at night, in mould circles, the still talk about dark time when their numbers were decimated and then decimated some more (to account for pedants who will be like but decimate means..., pedants whose bodies were never found).

Then I lost the bottle somewhere (it was so effective that it dissolved its own label), probably in the garage, but it's not come to light since. I figured the easiest option was to buy another bottle. But what was this magic decoction called? I have no idea. I've bought a half dozen different bottles and they're all just dilute bleach which, as you've discovered, doesn't work.

It smelt of some kind of long-chain alkanes and party aromatics. I need to find this stuff. It's awesome and the bottom of our shower
is starting to turn and there are some things that I won't put up with and that includes mould. This is, in part, the fault of Waitrose who took the good stuff out of their shower spray. I suspect I may end up getting a man (my wife always stresses a man) to replace, though our handyman is apparently fitting a kitchen somewhere. He can do the cooker element while he's here, another job I'm unlikely to get around to. I'm more of a theory kind of guy.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #5157 on: 13 April, 2021, 09:15:31 pm »
You're probably not alliwed to buy it anymore, like paraquat or something.

ian

« Reply #5158 on: 13 April, 2021, 09:38:17 pm »
I have a feeling it's the same stuff as uPVC cleaner, which is in fact a mixture of solventalicious funstuff that seems approximate to my nose-derived recipe. Whether it was packaged as mould remover (I have a feeling it was) or whether it was me doing some chemical jiggery-pokery just because (I was never happier than upon receipt of a radioactive chemical labelled 'explosion hazard').

I give it 50/50 odds of dissolving silicone, of course. I'd test it on a Playboy model first and see if she strategically deflates.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #5159 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:00:34 pm »
Me neither. Long overdue.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5160 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:30:01 pm »
But will no-one think of the clay minerals?

The Illites
The Chlorites
The Montmorillonites
And all the other-ites

These guys are seriously under-represented.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5161 on: 14 April, 2021, 12:00:31 am »
I'm going to have to start taking notes, just in case I ever feel the urge to launch another rant inna-KJV-stylee.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5162 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:12:18 am »
Me neither. Long overdue.

Skata from the Greek?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #5163 on: 14 April, 2021, 03:11:35 pm »
Did you have to mention HRH?
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5164 on: 14 April, 2021, 05:09:11 pm »
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5165 on: 14 April, 2021, 08:56:18 pm »
I tried bleaching the black bits on the silicone round the shower. I learned that not only did it do next to sod all (as expected) but it also turned some of it pink as well.
Not a very successful experiment, but worth a try.

Marigolds. Roll up a bit of loo roll, saturate it with bleach, press it along the affected section of silicone and leave for a day or two. Apply more bleach if it dries out. It does work.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5166 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:01:16 pm »
I tried that and drenched the loo roll in neat bleach and left it in place for a week, then repeated twice more.

There's still black bits.
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #5167 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:03:52 pm »
My colleague was telling me today she had great success with Cillit Bang Black Mould Remover.
I did wonder if my bleach had lost its potency as I was using it neat and the smell didn't blow my head off in the same way I remember it did the last time I used it,

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5168 on: 15 April, 2021, 07:47:07 am »
My colleague was telling me today she had great success with Cillit Bang Black Mould Remover.
I did wonder if my bleach had lost its potency as I was using it neat and the smell didn't blow my head off in the same way I remember it did the last time I used it,

Bleach, like Round-up weed killer, is a mere shadow of its former self nowadays - Nitro-mors paint remover is heading the same way . . . . it's all this "water based/no solvents" stuff that the H&S Gestapo is ruling on!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5169 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:13:15 am »
That there is (at least one) real place called Gotham. It's part of Nottingham.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5170 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:15:48 am »
That there is (at least one) real place called Gotham. It's part of Nottingham.

It may be in Nottinghamshire but I wouldn't describe it as part of Nottingham.  I ride through it fairly frequently and it is more of a village than a city ;)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5171 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:26:02 am »
Ah yes, the wise men of Gotham.

« Reply #5172 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:29:26 am »
And that is where the Batman Gotham City comes from.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5173 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:30:01 am »
Though I believe the locals pronounce it 'goatam'.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5174 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:31:53 am »
From Wiki (this is delightful).

The village is most famed for the stories of the "Wise Men of Gotham".[3] These depict the people of the village as being stupid. However, the reason for the behaviour is believed to be that the villagers wished to feign madness to avoid a Royal Highway being built through the village, as they would then be expected to build and maintain this route. Madness was believed at the time to be highly contagious, and when King John's knights saw the villagers behaving as if insane, the knights swiftly withdrew and the King's road was re-routed to avoid the village.

Reminded of the foolish ingenuity of Gotham's residents, Washington Irving gave the name "Gotham" to New York City in his Salmagundi Papers (1807). In turn, Bill Finger named Batman's pastiche New York Gotham City.
Rust never sleeps