Author Topic: News stories like this really piss me off  (Read 1483 times)

News stories like this really piss me off
« on: 12 August, 2011, 11:10:00 pm »
A man was killed in Doncaster last March.

But the fact that he was clearly a very good cyclist had bugger-all to do with his death.

So why is the headline on Teletext and the South Yorkshire page of the BBC website: "Man jailed for death of cyclist" - which sounds like a road incident - when he was clearly killed because he was being a good neighbour?

Are cyclists not people?
The journey is always more important than the destination

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: News stories like this really piss me off
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2011, 12:04:59 am »
A man is jailed for killing a former international cycling champion who died from "catastrophic" head injuries after stepping in to stop a row.

I don't see much wrong with this. He worked as a cyclist (courier) then won loads of races and reached a very high standard as a competitive cyclist - which is what most people remember him as. The unfortunate circumstances of his death are well-documented and the byline makes it perfectly clear.

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2011, 12:16:36 am »
HJ, I agree with Rhys on this.  I suspect what news people try to do with a short description like that is make a contrast between someone who made something of himself and the scrote who ended his life.

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2011, 10:20:56 am »
I see your points, but I get very fed up with headlines that describe people involved in road incidents who happen to have a bike about their person as "cyclist". Not "granny", "father-of-four", "librarian" or "shopkeeper".

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2011, 10:30:39 am »
Pisses me off too - less than five years for killing a man for no reason whatsoever.   Fifty years wouldn't have been enough IMO.   :(  :(  :(

« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2011, 10:36:56 am »
I see your points, but I get very fed up with headlines that describe people involved in road incidents who happen to have a bike about their person as "cyclist". Not "granny", "father-of-four", "librarian" or "shopkeeper".

John, In general, I actually agree with you, being a cyclist, a motorist, a teacher, a granny (well old enough to be described as such, anyway).  I just think that in this case they were making the point that the victim was a worthwhile member of society.  They also wanted to get people to read the article!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2011, 11:14:37 am »

He was not on his bike at the time, I think that's pretty clear. To most people who remember the name, they know him because he was a keen amateur cyclist who rose to the height of representing his country. They also mention his job and focus strongly on his family in the article. What more do you want?

<edit> I don't know why this has now been moved to On The Road - it's nothing to do with "commuting and campaigning." The mods (if it is they) have behaved in the exact way the OP accuses the BBC of behaving!  ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2011, 11:52:01 am »

He was not on his bike at the time, I think that's pretty clear. To most people who remember the name, they know him because he was a keen amateur cyclist who rose to the height of representing his country. They also mention his job and focus strongly on his family in the article. What more do you want?

<edit> I don't know why this has now been moved to On The Road - it's nothing to do with "commuting and campaigning." The mods (if it is they) have behaved in the exact way the OP accuses the BBC of behaving!  ::-)

I agree.
The Bill and The Bailey or POBI in the pub would be a better fit.

« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »
Hmmm...

When I saw the headline ("Man jailed for death of cyclist") I thought that a driver had been jailed for killing a cyclist for once.