Author Topic: HGVs and cyclists. How can we share the road safely?  (Read 12362 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: HGVs and cyclists. How can we share the road safely?
« Reply #175 on: 07 October, 2011, 04:18:22 am »
We have them here along with tracking the vehicles it records stuff like harsh braking.
The drivers will get pulled up on it along with speeding.
Some companies have cameras fitted in the cab that activate when the driver brakes hard.

I found out today that part of the drivers CPC is a drive where you have to look around when you drive and tell the instructor the hazards you see.
All new drivers have to do this and current drivers have until 2013 to get it done also.

« Reply #176 on: 07 October, 2011, 09:05:02 am »
I found out today that part of the drivers CPC is a drive where you have to look around when you drive and tell the instructor the hazards you see.
All new drivers have to do this and current drivers have until 2013 to get it done also.

'Commentary driving' is nothing new, and as far as I know, has been part of the IAM driving course as well as advanced police driver training.
I did some when I was working for the well known motoring organisation.
It's an incredibly useful exercise in making the driver aware of how much there is to see, how much they do see and how much they actually miss.
Needless to say is requires a highly competent instructor in the vehicle to monitor, and give feedback to the driver.
After my short session (maybe 20 / 30 minutes of urban and motorway driving) I found myself totally exhausted through having to concentrate much more than I normally would  :-[.

In addition to regular re-testing, commentary driving should be part of the driving test for everyone who drives IMHO.
That it is used as part of a vocational driver's CPC, can only be a good thing.

« Reply #177 on: 07 October, 2011, 10:17:41 am »
There is an interesting link to a similar thread on the CTC.
CV Driver magazine gives one persons view of cyclists from his cab and as a cyclist
Page 28

http://www.cvdriver.com/magazines/0008.pdf

« Reply #178 on: 07 October, 2011, 10:41:01 am »

'Commentary driving' is nothing new, and as far as I know, has been part of the IAM driving course as well as advanced police driver training.

It's an incredibly useful exercise in making the driver aware of how much there is to see, how much they do see and how much they actually miss.

Yes, that is part of the IAM training, and as a member of the IAM you are encouraged to re-examine your driving every few years. The reason that I stopped being a member (20 years ago?) was because there was no financial benefit - the companies allowing discount on insurance were more expensive (even with the discount) which is nuts. However, I've always felt that my driving training helps a lot with my cycling, I'm thinking of re-testing so have started vocal commentary at times, and including self criticism. It is a salutary experience.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #179 on: 07 October, 2011, 10:45:48 am »
CV Driver magazine gives one persons view of cyclists from his cab and as a cyclist
Page 28

The article before that is like an Arrivée article by a trucker.
It is simpler than it looks.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #180 on: 07 October, 2011, 11:08:37 am »
Page 28

I can understand his frustration - the vast majority of HGV drivers are excellent, and highly aware of me as a cyclist. However the awareness training is not aimed at them - it is aimed (as always) at the clueless minority.

« Reply #181 on: 07 October, 2011, 01:50:05 pm »

Yes, that is part of the IAM training, and as a member of the IAM you are encouraged to re-examine your driving every few years. The reason that I stopped being a member (20 years ago?) was because there was no financial benefit - the companies allowing discount on insurance were more expensive (even with the discount) which is nuts. However, I've always felt that my driving training helps a lot with my cycling, I'm thinking of re-testing so have started vocal commentary at times, and including self criticism. It is a salutary experience.

Well, that's interesting. The IAM insurance brokers now price match and beat, so I think I may well join again. Amusing it was to learn that I'd only let my membership lapse in 99 (I'd have said 89 if you asked me).

AndyK

« Reply #182 on: 12 October, 2011, 08:11:16 am »
"There are also a range of measures local authorities can take, for instance, safer road infrastructure, cycle lanes, local safety campaigns, 20 mph zones and better traffic management. These will, however, depend on local decisions and need to reflect local priorities." Michael Penning (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Roads and Motoring), Transport.

There's a rather handy 'no' button on the right at this page: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2011-10-10a.71774.h

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #183 on: 12 October, 2011, 12:54:28 pm »
The delightful Mike Penning has decided to allow an 'experimental' increase in lorry length. Apparently, this will not adversely affect cyclists' safety...

AndyK

« Reply #184 on: 12 October, 2011, 01:16:04 pm »
The delightful Mike Penning has decided to allow an 'experimental' increase in lorry length. Apparently, this will not adversely affect cyclists' safety...

I do like his use of the word 'experimental' to describe a ten year trial of these leviathans on British roads.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #185 on: 23 November, 2011, 10:25:11 am »
Today I saw this sign on the back of a (relatively small, non-artic) lorry parked near the hospital.

It says
WARNING
DANGER ZONE
WHEN VEHICLE IS LEFT
DO NOT PASS ON THIS SIDE

I hope cyclists take note of it and that the driver remembers to check his mirrors when moving off and turning, just in case some don't.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #186 on: 23 November, 2011, 01:40:24 pm »
I am in two minds about those signs, although they send a very good warning, it just seems to absolve blame for the driver.

« Reply #187 on: 23 November, 2011, 01:47:09 pm »
I would be happier if there were complementary ones in the cab - "Do not position this vehicle in such a manner that you've put a cyclist into your Danger Zone"

« Reply #188 on: 23 November, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »
I was going to add sometimes you have no choice in the matter, but you worded it much better than I ever could.

I would be happier if there were complementary ones in the cab - "Do not position this vehicle in such a manner that you've put a cyclist into your Danger Zone"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #189 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »

This.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #190 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »
My problem with those signs, which I have mentioned before (albeit about 3 years ago) is that, certainly with the Cemex trucks, and maybe others, is that they place them so far up, out of the eyeline of cyclists (I only saw one because I was in a car and travelling downhill towards the truck).

My email to Cemex was replied to, stating that the placing was such because that was the only place they could put them! ~15 foot in the air is just too high up for cyclists to see!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #191 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:47:25 pm »
This one was nowhere near 15 foot up, it was about eye level. Box truck so easier to find somewhere to put it.

Yes, a reminder in the cab would also be good. Even better would be training drivers so that they check their mirrors, all of them, before moving off or turning, automatically out of force of habit. Or perhaps even better, not just force of habit but conscious thought! TBF though I think most do, but of course it only takes one to kill. Many cyclists seem totally unaware of the danger and their confidence is falsely boosted by the design of many cycle lanes, especially those which feed ASLs. So a sign I'd like to see is "Think what other traffic will be alongside this cycle lane" in the planner's office.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.