Author Topic: non control "controls"  (Read 2574 times)

non control "controls"
« on: 10 August, 2019, 03:52:15 pm »
I hate to show my ignorance (again), but at the stops that aren't controls but one can go for a pee or sleep or eat if one doesn't want/need to go there does one just cycle by or actually HAVE to go in/through them? (notice I used proper grammar (if one is royalty ;D))

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: non control "controls"
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2019, 04:25:27 pm »
There was excellent free soup at St. Nick last time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2019, 04:51:43 pm »
You don't have to stop at 'optional' controls, unless they are secret controls. One of them was a secret control last time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2019, 04:56:46 pm »
You don't have to stop at 'optional' controls, unless they are secret controls. One of them was a secret control last time.

Is there something in large friendly letters and multiple languages declaring "secret control"?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2019, 05:08:23 pm »
Usually a few geezers in hi-vis ,waving torches and ushering you into the school/ gym or whatever.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2019, 10:34:37 pm »
Usually a few geezers in hi-vis ,waving torches and ushering you into the school/ gym or whatever.

I always though it impossible to ride past a PBP secret control. You'd have to  ignore the flashing lights and ride past the aforementioned geezers.

However ... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52021.0
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2019, 10:38:51 pm »
They are good to fill up the water bottle

If you have enough water just ride straight through

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2019, 11:24:46 am »
Just keep an eye on your brevet card, if a food station does not have an entry and a space for a stamp then you can stop if you wish or just carry on, but as mentioned it could be a secret control. In 2015 though, i cannot recall any of the feed stations being a secret control, but I could be wrong. I would check but cannot find my 2015 brevet card.

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2019, 11:46:53 am »
Just keep an eye on your brevet card, if a food station does not have an entry and a space for a stamp then you can stop if you wish or just carry on, but as mentioned it could be a secret control. In 2015 though, i cannot recall any of the feed stations being a secret control, but I could be wrong. I would check but cannot find my 2015 brevet card.

In 2015 st Nicolas du Pelem was a secret control. I have a stamp from there.

« Reply #9 on: 11 August, 2019, 03:39:16 pm »

In 2015 st Nicolas du Pelem was a secret control. I have a stamp from there.

Quedillac was a secret in 2011 if I remember correctly.

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2019, 05:57:26 pm »
As others have hinted, unless you are at the pointy end of the ride you just have to keep an eye on twitter to find the locations of the secret controls.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #11 on: 11 August, 2019, 08:03:35 pm »
As others have hinted, unless you are at the pointy end of the ride you just have to keep an eye on twitter to find the locations of the secret controls.

Just keep your eyes out on the way to Brest.