Author Topic: Reporting a car with foreign plates  (Read 5633 times)

Reporting a car with foreign plates
« on: 25 October, 2020, 01:51:59 pm »
Is there much point expecting much to come of reporting a car with foreign plates? They're EU but I can't make out the country code, possibly someone with a decent computer that does better freeze-frames might be able to. I've got the reg itself but no way of looking it up that I know of.

Essentially I was following Jane down a very narrow, skoggy lane (Nash Lane in Bromley if you're local). Anyone who's cycled with me knows I'm a very cautious descender and given it was hissing it down and the lane was covered in chutney today was no exception.

Jane had just gone round a bend a little way ahead when a VW 4x4 coming towards us pretty much forced her off the road (she told me this later as she was out of my sight by then); luckily there was a track that she was able to swerve into, then the driver comes round the bend and drives towards me only stopping at the very last moment (he essentially fills most of the lane with his car so I've not got anywhere to go). I braked sharply and managed to fall into the hedge next to him as in my efforts to get out of the way I'd slipped in the leaves at the side of the road.

As I briefly lay in the verge/hedge feeling a bit dazed he shouted 'Get out of the fucking way' and drove off, clipping the back of my bike as he went. It doesn't seem to be damaged luckily, I think he clipped the wheel/tyre and the Surly has pretty bombproof wheels with eleventy million spokes.

It's all on front and rear camera, but I wonder if much will be done given the foreign plates and the fact that I didn't actually die (but could have done if I was a bolder descender). It shook me up though and I needed to take a few moments before we carried on, resisting the strong urge to cut the ride short and cycle home crying. I'm not physically hurt or anything thanks to the slow speed that I fell over.

Re: Reporting a car with foreign plates
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2020, 01:59:42 pm »
That sounds awful.
I would see if your local police force have a system for uploading camera footage. Ours, Avon and Somerset, do and they certainly follow up some of the cases.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:04:27 pm »
What Steve said.

A bit dumb shouting 'Get out of the fucking way' when you're already flattened. Hope they get the bastard.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:06:31 pm »
What is with people like this ? That's awful. Glad to hear you're physically unscathed. All I can suggest is uploading the footage to the appropriate Police site.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:08:29 pm »
That sounds horrendous. As you've got the reg it should be possible to work out the country from the format. I would go to the plod and see if you get a sympathetic response from the desk. Be warned that they may say "there was no RTI as you are not injured and your vehicle is not damaged". If the clipping of your wheel is caught on camera it would be worth saying your wheel was put out of true and you repaired it in the meantime. This should elevate it to leaving the scene of a collision. You might also get some truck from the road rage, particularly if the driving looks like deliberate intimidation.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:08:53 pm »
That sounds awful.
I would see if your local police force have a system for uploading camera footage. Ours, Avon and Somerset, do and they certainly follow up some of the cases.

Oh the Met do and this was technically Bromley so I'll report it to them. They've followed up on quite a few bad drivers (I do live in Croydon after all) but nothing quite as bad as this. I'm just worried that the foreign plates might mean he can do this kind of thing with impunity.

(I promise I do not cycle round looking for trouble so I can post it on youtube etc, but a few too many bad incidents that I simply could not avoid convinced me to get a cheap set so they could at least get some kind of police followup).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:19:48 pm »
Horrible. It's got to be worth reporting. Even if nothing comes of it, whether that's due to foreign reg or police sloth, it should be good for your peace of mind. And if the reg is legible, it should be possible to work out the country from format, font, etc, even if the code isn't there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:32:22 pm »
The foreign plates should matter not a jot. In some European countries driving licenses are linked to I.D. cards as well.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:45:42 pm »
I've uploaded it to the Met site along with footage. At worst I've wasted an hour of my life, but I find it helps me mentally to draw a line under these things.

I must say I've been really impressed with how the Met have acted in the past, for lesser incidents than this (mainly very close passes) but they were all UK plates.

« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:49:42 pm »
What was the reg?

« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:52:18 pm »
[redacted just in case] I can make out the EU stars but not the country code.

« Reply #11 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:58:04 pm »
Irish ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2020, 03:01:58 pm »
Yup, Irish I reckon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Note: in the case of Counties Limerick, Tipperary, and Waterford, where a vehicle has been first brought into use in another country prior to 1 January 2014 and is subsequently imported into and registered in Ireland, the codes L, LK, TS, TN, W, and WD as formerly applicable continue to be issued for such vehicles. This is to maintain the integrity of the numbering system in place for the years prior to 2014.[8]

Former index mark codes
Codes used from 1987 to 2013:[8]

Code   County
LK   County Limerick
TN   North Tipperary
TS   South Tipperary
WD   County Waterford
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #13 on: 25 October, 2020, 03:09:03 pm »
As I suspected.

Just tried this: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/welcome.do

but it doesnt recognise the registration

« Reply #14 on: 25 October, 2020, 03:14:00 pm »
I can vouch for the fact that if you commit a traffic infraction overseas (at least in Germany) they will come for you In the UK so I guess the same applies in reverse. If it is Ireland you’ve a pretty good chance of spoiling their day at least as much as they have spoiled yours.

Good luck, nail the ass hole

A

« Reply #15 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:01:34 pm »
Right or left hand drive vehicle?

« Reply #16 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:03:03 pm »
Sorry to read about this, NSTN, and I hope action is taken regardless of the Irish reg, if that is what it is.

« Reply #17 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:10:14 pm »
Thanks everyone. Interesting to know it’s an Irish plate at least, I expect the police could also work this out if they’re so inclined.

It was a right hand drive.

ppg

« Reply #18 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:29:31 pm »
Yes they did with mine - or said they would, no updates as 'I was a witness' but I got a reply in under a day so I'm happy to believe they will.

I think mine was just sheer incompetence or impatience, yours sounds positively evil so I do hope you get a result.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:20:05 pm »
No advice that hasn't already been given, but that sounds awful.  Hope you're both okay.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 25 October, 2020, 07:51:35 pm »
Possible the driver is a member of the travelling community,  in which case it is likely other motoring offences were being committed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #21 on: 26 October, 2020, 06:26:09 pm »
Possible the driver is a member of the travelling community,  in which case it is likely other motoring offences were being committed.

Or the legality of the vehicle on the road.

This is from experience.  The two local traveller sites where the same vans and caravans are year round all the road vehicles aren't on the insurance database.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #22 on: 26 October, 2020, 10:27:09 pm »
Before you go and stake out Keston Showman's Ground it could have just been a dick driving a car. Car drivers are generally accomodating round there, but it's the time of year when dickishness abounds sadly
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #23 on: 27 October, 2020, 10:23:12 am »
Before you go and stake out Keston Showman's Ground it could have just been a dick driving a car. Car drivers are generally accomodating round there, but it's the time of year when dickishness abounds sadly

I've got no intention of staking out anywhere. I would just like the police to do something that makes him think twice before driving like that again.

Jane said he was already angry because he'd swerved round a car creeping out of a junction (which is why she was driven off the road) and he did that angry driver thing of accelerating off aggressively after, except I appeared around the bend which rather ruined it for him. She said she yelled at him to slow down because she knew I was a few seconds behind on the narrowest part of the lane and was worried for me, but if he heard he certainly didn't care.

That lane is on the regular route of club runs such as Penge CC and if there'd been a bunch of them coming down it they'd probably have been going rather faster than I was. Equally a car would likely have been going faster and not had the option of falling in a hedge. It's fortunate that I was creeping down it on the brakes or it would have been a head on collision. I remember being really surprised that he didn't slow and stop as soon as he rounded the bend and saw me, because to be fair that is what most drivers do on roads as narrow as that, and I always thank them.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 27 October, 2020, 10:41:11 am »
There are, alas, twats. I live in the area (ish, about 8 miles away, but it's much the same) and the admix of narrow rural lanes and close proximity of urban environments provide ideal opportunities for advanced twattishness. Urban youth + crappy Audi + tinted windows + delusions of rally driver prowess. Plus a fair number of stolen cars like to organize their get-togethers in New Addington.

We drove back along the same lanes (Laynham's Road from Hayes) on Sunday and there was an obligatory twat behind us, trying to get by despite the fact we were moving at a reasonable pace (he started flicking his headlights onto beam). Fortunately, he turned off down King Henry's Drive before the obligatory stupid overtake.

It's unfortunate, but they know there is little chance of encountering a police car.