Author Topic: Laptop charger cable severed while charging...damaged laptop ?  (Read 1099 times)

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
My laptop charger cable has been chewed through by the pet rabbits that often roam free around the house.
Unfortunately the rabbit survived and even more unfortunately it seems to have buggered something on the laptop.
I wasn't overly bothered as I had a spare charger, but it isn't working. I've repaired the original, again not working, I've checked them both with a multimeter and they're both giving a steady 22.3v so, in my very limited knowledge on these things I'm guessing something has shorted in the laptop ?
The laptop was functioning fine until the battery died, and when I pressed the power button the orange led flashed to signal the battery needs charging, but that eventually stopped.
My fault finding started and ended with thinking an internal fuse had blown so I've removed the back panel but can't see anything resembling a fuse, and can't find any reference to one in this model after doing some web searching.
It's a Lenovo Yoga 2.

Because it was working until the battery died I'm really hoping it can be fixed.
Before I find a repair shop and start throwing money at it, does any of the shared brains on here have any thoughts on what could've happened to it ?
Cheers.
Ben.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Laptop charger cable severed while charging...damaged laptop ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2019, 12:25:07 pm »
If a spare charger doesn't work, I concur the problem's in the laptop.

A fuse might do a passable impression of a surface-mount resistor, but my spidey sense says it's going to be something more annoying than that.

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2019, 07:51:34 am »
Very annoying !!

I'm certain it isn't the chargers. The spare I had was working last time i needed it and i don't see why the repair I did on the chewed one shouldn't work. The multimeter test seems to prove that.

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2019, 08:40:13 am »
How many cores are there in the laptop cable? Some have three, so +ve, -ve and a signal that tells the laptop stuff about the charger.

In some laptops there is an identifier circuit in the plug at the laptop end of the cable.

Either way, the identifier circuit in the laptop may be damaged by the full charging voltage.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2019, 08:49:02 am »
A short can cause the power supply to ramp up to maximum current. This is fine for as long as the short is there to drain it, but if the short is released there’ll be a spike in voltage seen by the laptop in the brief moment before the power supply backs off.

In theory there should be protection devices in the laptop, but if these are overwhelmed it’s going to fry some expensive bits in the laptop rather than blowing any sort of fuse.