Author Topic: Fettled any computer stuff today?  (Read 214243 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Reply #1000 on: 28 March, 2019, 09:54:51 am »
Anywhere you might have bonding / link aggregation set up, you need to ensure at least 60% of the cables are un-plugged to simulate the security queue experience.

« Reply #1001 on: 28 March, 2019, 09:58:05 am »
Nah Border Force / Home Office run their own separate network. So that ones not on me.

The hand luggage and body scanners are on the airports LAN though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1002 on: 28 March, 2019, 10:09:43 am »
Get it to re-boot randomly, when you are in a hurry...

(after first de-booting ;) )
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1003 on: 28 March, 2019, 12:27:27 pm »
WiFi drones, you know it makes sense.

ian

« Reply #1004 on: 28 March, 2019, 12:34:17 pm »
In a brief moment of candour regarding the train disruption I encountered yesterday, Southern did basically say that they had to wait for Network Rail engineers to 'reboot the signalling system.'

ian

« Reply #1005 on: 28 March, 2019, 01:43:16 pm »
Today I'm contemplating Tableau vs Qlik vs QuickSight vs some other BI/dashboard stuff. Frankly without a lot of enthusiasm since they're all about the same and I'll do all this and then someone in the business will decide to use something else anyway and the developers will complain that they could build an even better wheel.

ian

« Reply #1006 on: 28 March, 2019, 06:23:48 pm »
I also discovered the hard way that Tableau doesn't auto-save. Oh well, that's one for science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1007 on: 01 April, 2019, 04:43:20 pm »
After some experimentation, I have created a dedicated wireless VLAN[1] for special snowflake Android devices which get their knickers in a twist when they see IPv6 router advertisements.  My Samsung fondleslab (like the Fruit[2] and real computers with grown-up operating systems) can stay connected over IPv6 just fine, but Moto stuff seems to panic when it gets a whiff of a RA, repeatedly tear down the interface, re-associate with the AP and do whole new DHCP cycle (thereby b0rking IPv4 connections as well, and doing a passable impression of a layer-1 WiFi problem).

Particularly, but not limited to, when coming out of sleep mode.  My spidey sense says timeouts, and not enough testing of the notwork drivers.

This IPv6 stuff isn't hard, it's only been around for about 22 years FFS.   >:(

[1] SSID="💩"
[2] I don't have an iThing to hand, but I expect they make up for it with WiFi roaming shenanigans.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1008 on: 02 April, 2019, 04:15:31 pm »
I wanted to fettle but Octix sent me a cable with the wrong plug on it. :-)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1009 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:07:53 pm »
Put something solid in the lapdancer...

Installed an ssd with the old hd cloned on it onto this laptop. It seems to have JUST WORKED  :o :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1010 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:18:47 pm »
Just spent 2 hours trying to work out why the filestore and the Google Home had stopped working.

It all came down to a TV, which had been working fine for months on one IP address but had decided to change today, to the same as the filestore.  The Google Home issue was a ??? one, but once I had cleared up the TV one it resolved itself.

Still am confused as to why this happened.

I amused myself by committing a total rookie mistake by deactivating a netwrk interface, whilst I was SSH'd in to it...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1011 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:23:33 pm »
Just spent 2 hours trying to work out why the filestore and the Google Home had stopped working.

It all came down to a TV, which had been working fine for months on one IP address but had decided to change today, to the same as the filestore.  The Google Home issue was a ??? one, but once I had cleared up the TV one it resolved itself.

DHCP server lost track of its dynamic leases?  Nothing good can come of that happening.

I amused myself by committing a total rookie mistake by deactivating a netwrk interface, whilst I was SSH'd in to it...

We've all been there.   :facepalm:

Feanor

« Reply #1012 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:33:03 pm »

It shouldn't have happened.
How it the filestore IP assigned?
If the filestore is on a static IP, is that either reserved or excluded in the DHCP scope?

Even if the DHCP setup is broken, the client TV should be doing Duplicate Address Detection ( usually by gratuitous ARP ) and saying no.
But the Internet of Shit is full of broken and badly implemented IP stacks, so I'd not be surprised if the TV is broken.

Yes. We've all been there. At least the device was not hundreds of miles away in a locked datacentre.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1013 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:39:23 pm »
It shouldn't have happened.
How it the filestore IP assigned?
If the filestore is on a static IP, is that either reserved or excluded in the DHCP scope?

Mixing DHCP and static allocation is a bugbear of mine.  It might work fine now, but at some point something gets changed and there's an overlap and it bites you in the arse (especially with embedded devices which can't alert you to an address conflict).  If you're going to use DHCP on a subnet, use DHCP for everything, setting up permanent allocations in the DHCP server as required.  At least that way everything's in one place where you can see it...

Feanor

« Reply #1014 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:47:32 pm »
My preference is to leave the top 50 or so addresses in the subnet out of the DHCP scope.
These I use for static assignments for 'infrastructure' things, like switches and wireless access points, and the DHCP server itself!

Then, within the DHCP scope I use reservations for things I want to use DHCP but don't want wombling around, eg printers and other servers.
For the reasons you say: all managed from one central point.

Chris S

« Reply #1015 on: 10 April, 2019, 08:50:35 pm »
Reservations in dnsmasq is how I work here - for anything that needs a fixed address. But you know - fixed addressing is a PITA for anything except maybe router forwarding, and even then - if the router doing the forwarding is also the dnsmasq server, well - it should just KNOW the address.

It annoys DD1 that I insist on full network names in our business networks, all the time. If he has some kind of networking issue he wants help with, and starts quoting IP addresses at me, I kinda glaze over and ask inane questions like "What DNS server are you using, out of interest, DD?".

ETA: I appreciate that the DNS server is kind of irrelevant if you start quoting IP addresses, but so are IP addresses if you use a DHCP server; we have an app that persists network addresses, so proper names and a functional DNS set up are my preferred solution to the naming issue.

---------------------
[1]A colleague of mine.

« Reply #1016 on: 10 April, 2019, 10:12:08 pm »
Not very exciting, but a Windows update yesterday decided it would be a good idea to wipe out my fixed IP address and substitute DHCP instead.  Result:  no access to shared volumes on my database PC, no Internet access.

Grrrr.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #1017 on: 11 April, 2019, 12:06:50 am »
Finally got all three VMWare hosts hooked up to a little Synology iSCSI box. Should have been simple but for some reason ESXi 6.7 didn't want to cooperate where previous version have been fine with it.
The rest of 6.7 is well worth it, though :)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1018 on: 11 April, 2019, 08:31:57 pm »

Installed an ssd with the old hd cloned on it onto this laptop. It seems to have JUST WORKED  :o :thumbsup:

It's so quiet... shhh  :P

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1019 on: 12 April, 2019, 09:54:38 pm »
 :-\

Gah, spoke too soon. No sound  :(

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1020 on: 14 April, 2019, 09:55:07 pm »
:-\

Gah, spoke too soon. No sound  :(

Stumped  :(  ???

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1021 on: 15 April, 2019, 03:19:40 pm »
If it's running Windows, it may have got it into its tiny head-branez that you want the sound to come from device X rather than device Y, which can be particularly irksome when device X has nothing plugged into it and/or doesn't actually exist.  Disabling everything in sight – via Device Mangler as well as the Control Panel "Sound" thing – except the one you want has cured one of mine from using anything except the optical output as that's the only output with sound reproduction Stuffs attached.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1022 on: 15 April, 2019, 09:04:57 pm »
Yay  :) \o/ Mrs Pingu found the solution on the interwebs  :-*

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1023 on: 19 April, 2019, 06:54:09 pm »
Today I added a usb card into my computer. This gave me five more USB 3 sockets.  I connected my slightly old Audiolab 8200CD to my computer.

I played some flacs using Groove Music. I initially tried Audacious but that could not find the files. It imported the details and the album cover but when I clicked play it failed to find the file it listed.
I do not trust Groove Music to get the best out of my Flacs.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #1024 on: 20 April, 2019, 08:57:28 am »
Wednesday late pm the heating goes off. Investigation revealed no power to the boiler, a check of the DU revealed the power to upstairs had tripped. Reset and restart boiler and all was well. Later that evening go to put some music on (Raspberry Pi + external DAC running Volumio into hi-fi system) - can't find music on the NAS. Investigation reveals no power on the NAS (HP Microserver running Freenas). There has been a magic smoke visitation  :-[ . New power supply arrived yesterday via Ebay, 15 minutes later all is restored. Huge sigh of relief as there are >3000 albums on the NAS and although they are backed up, the back up is split between several disks and putting it all back together with all the album art etc and getting Volumio the re-catalogue it would be a major pain in the bum.