Author Topic: Shorter cranks?  (Read 5410 times)

Re: Shorter cranks?
« Reply #50 on: 22 January, 2022, 09:18:41 am »
Anybody got different pedal axle length?  My right leg always feels as if it is too close to the crank arm. I was thinking about getting a longer axle for the pedal.

Assuming that your cleats are in the same position, sideways, on the shoes, the first step might be to measure the “Q” measurement each side - the distance horizontally from the pedal to the centre of the bike ( centre of seat tube is the easiest one to get). Unless there’s a morphology reason why it should be different each side, it’s ideally the same. At the same time, the overall measurement- pedal to pedal horizontally, should reference the natural stance of the rider.
I use old Look CX pedals - that cleverly have adjustable width from the crank. These are long gone sadly, but different pedal spindles are available in some models of pedal, and there are also pedal extenders. Mark Cavendish is one rider who rides with a wider pedal stance - initially I think he used extenders, but manufacturers then started to offer different spindle lengths.

« Reply #51 on: 22 January, 2022, 10:48:44 am »
I have one leg shorter than the other and have shims following a fitting some years ago by Adrian Timmis. I suspect I have spent 63 years with my right hip at a slightly different angle to the left hip which makes it “normal” for me to sit with the right foot angled out and rotated. I was wondering about different length spindles. I may experiment.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #52 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:03:29 am »
Back in the old days, cranks always had the RH pedal a few millimetres further from the cycle’s centreline than the LH crank to accommodate the chainrings. Most folk didn’t notice it.

Most cleats have some lateral adjustment and I set my RH cleat to push my shoe further out to provide heel clearance from my RH foot being rotated outwards.

Some folk are comfortable with a 1 or 2mm washer under one or both pedal axles, though that does reduce thread engagement a little. Probably not a good idea if you are a watt-monster or have a history of breaking bikes.

There are aftermarket axle spacers but they produce quite a large increase in pedal width and are usually only chosen by people with a really splayed stance. You can use just one of them, of course. They increase leverage on the axle/ crank threads, so I would be careful about installing them on lightweight/ delicate cranks that have some history of failures e.g. bonded cranks.
https://highpath.co.uk/pedal-extenders/ from handcyclist OTP
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #53 on: 22 January, 2022, 08:56:22 pm »
Anybody got different pedal axle length?  My right leg always feels as if it is too close to the crank arm. I was thinking about getting a longer axle for the pedal.

I use a 175/172.5 crank combo to compensate for one fused ankle that has almost no movement and while it’s not what you asked, I recently fitted one pedal washer to each side as an experimental fix for knee pain on a new bike with a marginally (too small to be noticeable, you’d think) narrower Q factor – adjusting cleats used with various bikes wasn’t an option. No pain on todays Willy Warmer, so it seems to have done something.