Author Topic: UK Rider Taking EPO ?  (Read 1609 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
UK Rider Taking EPO ?
« on: 04 July, 2010, 09:54:19 am »
I wonder if any of this is true ?  "VeloResults is aware that at or about the time of the Jock Wadley road race, an English rider failed a test, the substances were EPO and steroids, we know his name and can tell you that there is zero doubt in our minds about his guilt...

...Take it from us that if that test result is never released - as looks increasingly likely - there's been a cover-up, justified by the facts that the Olympic and Commonwealth Games are just around the corner and there's enough drugs grief with the Landis/Lance scandal.

We have also had strong tip offs that another rider failed a test at or about the time of the Rutland, we don't have a name but we have suspicions - again, we believe that it will never see the light of day"

From  Scandals and gossip – it must be Tour time! | VeloResults
Aero but not dynamic

Re: UK Rider Taking EPO ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2010, 11:03:37 am »
That one has been doing the rounds for a while. I forget the riders name, which tells you something about his significance

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2010, 11:12:40 am »
That one has been doing the rounds for a while. I forget the riders name, which tells you something about his significance

Regardless of who the rider is, it would be very significant indeed if they got a positive result but, as the article suggests, covered it up.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2010, 11:15:49 am »
Is there a test for EPO now ? Or do the still test for the effects of it ?

« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2010, 11:28:45 am »
There is a test for it. It was a retrospective test of Armstrong's piss that l'equipe got hold of a few years ago. 

Even so, it would appear that there are still ways round it, including repeated very small doses

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2010, 11:32:45 am »
I've remembered the name of the guy who is reputed to have failed the test

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:38:31 am »
...and?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2010, 10:44:35 am »
I'm not saying

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:11:03 am »
In that case I don't think you really know.  :P
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #9 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:11:30 am »
That article just reads like the ramblings of someone who's upset that the regulations won't allow for tin foil hats to replace cycle helmets.

Summary of the article:

We're too busy to report on actual cycling.
We're not to busy to run down another journalist.
We've heard a name associated with a positive test and we're damn sure he's guilty and happy to trot out witless scandal as if it's the concrete truth.
We've heard, with no real certainty, of another positive test and even though there is no further details, we'll fit someone up for the job, probably because we're childish and don't like them.
Padded out with Daily Mail Rantings.

Or to shorten it even further, Scandals and Gossip, mostly invented and perpetrated by us.

I've never read VeloResults before and as a first article to come across, it seems to bear all the hallmarks of shoddy journalism, which isn't justified by sticking under an Editorial heading. As damaging to bike racing as actual drug taking.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 05 July, 2010, 11:15:48 am »
It isn't that hard to find out his name Mr Gates.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2010, 06:46:10 pm »
So, of the thousands of amateur racers in Britain, one might be a cheat. That's news?!

As for the "cover up" allegation - what would BC stand to gain from covering up a failed test by an amateur rider who, as far as I can see, has no connection whatsoever to the GB squad? More likely, they are doing things properly, and waiting for the "B" sample results before publically announcing the failed test, rather than destroying a rider's reputation on the basis of a less reliable "A" sample test. If there was even a failed test in the first place...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »
Well, I love a bit of detective work! I'd never heard of him, but he seems to have been around in the results over recent years. Not in any big races though.

Apparently there's a more well-known rider in a similar position, trickier to work out who he is.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2010, 12:52:15 pm »
Mmm, pussyfooting.

What are the drug rules and regimes for footy?