Author Topic: An expensive blowout  (Read 1167 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
An expensive blowout
« on: 03 August, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lampre-lose-eur250000-of-kit-in-truck-fire

The Lampre-ISD team lost an estimated €250,000 of bikes and other racing kit when one of the team’s trucks was destroyed by fire on a motorway in north-east Spain. The fire broke out when a tyre burst as the truck was traveling on the AP-1 motorway near Burgos.
The explosion caused a fire to break out in the compartment containing the team’s bikes and other equipment. Although fire-fighters were soon on the scene, it took them almost four hours to put out the flames. They quickly had them under control but the heat was so intense that there was concern that they might flare up again. The incident caused huge traffic jams on the motorway. El Diario de Burgos reported that the jams stretched for 20km and took more than three hours to clear.

I had no idea that bikes were so flammable. 
Aero but not dynamic

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: An expensive blowout
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »
Bikes have paint, rubber and plastics which are all flammable. I don't know if carbon fibre is flammable, but the resins in it probably are. Then there's the other kit - clothing and such like. And the truck itself, with fuel, batteries, etc. What I don't get is how a tyre blowing out can cause a fire.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2011, 10:05:46 pm »
Truck tyres are at much greater pressures than car tyres - a truck tyre blowout will fire off shredded bits of tyre with considerable force. It's a bit like setting off a hand grenade, and it could be the case that a piece of rubber punctured an aerosol can (I was initially thinking of the blowout rupturing a fuel line, but I'm not sure how easy it is to ignite diesel when it's not under compression in teh cyclinders).
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2011, 10:35:06 pm »
Or if it wasn't an actual blow out but a gradual puncture. I remember being told that when a truck tyre gets a slow puncture, as the tyre deflates it gets overloaded because the whole axle sags towards that end, and so it overheats. This is why it's common to see charred, delaminated sections of truck tyre on the motorway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.