Author Topic: bryton gps  (Read 2351 times)

bryton gps
« on: 23 January, 2016, 03:42:45 pm »
Do these Brytons fit the standard Garmin gps twist mounts?

I've got a couple of very cheap ones on the way to me, just for the basics, speed/distance/avg/cadence etc.. Don't care about calories, altitude or mapping on these, I know if I'm on top of a mountain or hungry!. My old 705 is dead and my 605 is on its last legs. I'm going to get an etrex (aa batteries) for mapping which I can stick in my pocket for when I'm lost in the hills.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: bryton gps
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2016, 10:15:09 am »
Yes, but it's not a positive fit like Garmin - Garmin. It seems to click into a couple of different positions but the hold feels firm enough. The problem I had with my Bryton GPS was the connection to the data lead eventually became a bit crappy and you had to hold the lead to the GPS unit to get a decent connection.

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2016, 10:25:45 am »
Cheers Windy, I'll give it a try. At least I now know the Bryton will go into a Garmin mount.

I'm hoping the connections are good, I paid a whopping £25ea for them ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3 on: 30 March, 2016, 02:48:18 pm »
My quick review of these:

shite

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:43:17 pm »
Which is why Bryton have abandoned the market.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:48:11 pm »
Mine lasted a couple of years - GPS was fine but the connection to the data lead failed in the end because of the wierd non usb contact arrangement.

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:49:59 pm »
both of mine are dead!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2016, 05:39:45 am »

Have they? Was on their website yesterday and they seem to still be active.

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2016, 08:31:40 am »
to be clear these were bryton 20 versions, the 310 I've got is still working perfectly.

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2016, 09:26:18 am »

Have they? Was on their website yesterday and they seem to still be active.

There is no UK distributor - it was Zyro, who dropped it and then Paligap, likewise. There is a new range of models but they haven't made it to the UK  because of this. Anecdotally, Bryton's support, via Taiwan, is diabolical and their UK Facebook page was dormant for 2 years before disappearing. Buy at your peril it would seem!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2016, 09:55:36 am »
Thanks - if I were in the market I'd be put off by their lack of support for Bluetooth. For the moment I'm happy with my old eTrex for navigation and iPhone for logging when I don't need navigation