Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 2457902 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #23025 on: 05 November, 2020, 03:29:37 pm »
Watching a steady stream of cars doing U-turns in the road outside my window.

They've all driven past two separate "ROAD AHEAD CLOSED" signs (with suitable diversions on them) but, being classic SW London, they've obviously decided that those signs probably won't apply to them and have pushed on through.

That is until they find the road impassable due to it having been dug up by Thames Water for emergency repairs.

Looking forward to the various private school buses that use this route too, they're due in an hour or so...

Ditto situation except that it's a gas main they're renewing here - best bit was a ready-mix truck that had to reverse almost 400 metres bleeping merrily as he went  ;D     At the moment there is a 7.5 ton truck with one of those very large tree-chipping trailers across the road, facing the wrong way to exit .... reversing that should be interesting.

When I carried my bike through the sea of mud around the hole this morning the men assured me that it would finished by the end of tomorrow.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23026 on: 05 November, 2020, 04:22:57 pm »
I know we're not supposed to be here. But we are.

Try this:
20201105_133628 by Basil W, on Flickr

Thanks kim.  I never can get Flickr to work from my mobile.

Oh. Sorry about the finger.  :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #23027 on: 05 November, 2020, 04:43:16 pm »
Penbryn?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #23028 on: 05 November, 2020, 05:15:32 pm »

« Reply #23029 on: 07 November, 2020, 04:39:58 pm »
Completing assessments about employment, character, teamworking and stuff which are entirely guesswork as none of them relate to having spent 30 years as a nanny. I've no idea how I cope with stuff like most of it, how you deal with a boss in whose house you live is rather different to the way you would deal with a boss who you only see at a weekly meeting. Explaining my skills (keeping children alive, personal care, organisation of the terminally disorganised and lego construction) as relating to any job that doesn't require personal care is difficult. I don't want to do care work, or work in people's houses, but I need to find a way to convince people that I have some transferable skills. I just need to work out what they are.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #23030 on: 08 November, 2020, 05:07:44 pm »
Sounds to me like developed interpersonnel, organisational and diplomacy skills. You must have had demanding/difficult clients.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #23031 on: 08 November, 2020, 05:11:43 pm »
Your powers of persuasion should be massive.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23032 on: 08 November, 2020, 07:23:14 pm »
Daydreaming about bicycles.

« Reply #23033 on: 20 November, 2020, 07:13:42 pm »
Sitting listening to Beethoven 5 with a glass of 94 Taylor’s port, the paper and the fire on.

Life does not get much better. Might listen to some Mozart piano next.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #23034 on: 21 November, 2020, 05:48:41 pm »
Sitting in my study watching Wales- Georgia.  It's only available on S4C so I don't understand a lot of what the commentators are saying.  Probably a good thing.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23035 on: 21 November, 2020, 06:25:24 pm »
It's on Amazon Prime.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23036 on: 24 November, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »
Watching some scaffolders playing Worst Ladder across the road.

ETA: They've driven off.  Highlights so far include one of them balancing on a telescopic ladder while telescoping it.  Then carrying the (evidently quite heavy) safety gate thing up one-handed, pausing halfway for the person below to reach up and pull his trousers up, before swinging the gate in an arc to get within reach of the person at the top, failing to account for the effect of our-favourite-telco's drop-wire[1] on the planned trajectory.

No prizes for guessing what PPE is in use.

[1] Surprisingly, it didn't.

« Reply #23037 on: 31 January, 2021, 03:01:37 pm »
Enjoying live cyclo-cross on the BBC website.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23038 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:28:48 pm »
Trying to ignore Pooch Perfect which has got to be the quite the daftest idea for a television programme ever. But teh good doctor does like to see me mutter at such programmes.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

fuzzy

« Reply #23039 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:37:19 pm »
Watching the NASA live feed of Mars 2020/ perseverance

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23040 on: 18 February, 2021, 08:46:00 pm »
Writing a letter.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #23041 on: 19 February, 2021, 08:41:09 am »
Exploring flickr settings.  I have taken to snapping with my phone camera.  I have a phone that has pro camera settings.  I once had a DSLR camera and just could not get the hang of it, mainly because it scared me.  I am less scared and happier to experiment with my phone - mainly because there are lower expectations of the outcome.  I have accumulated a lot of photos so want somewhere to put the ones that I like.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23042 on: 19 February, 2021, 01:44:47 pm »
Getting to grips with 3D representation of GPS tracks, cribbing from code I wrote ~18 years ago for sewerage modelling.  Brain was more agile then, along with the rest of me. No real motive for doing it, other than fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23043 on: 20 February, 2021, 12:08:04 am »

Getting to grips with 3D representation of GPS tracks, cribbing from code I wrote ~18 years ago for sewerage modelling.  Brain was more agile then, along with the rest of me. No real motive for doing it, other than fun.

Surely that's the best motive of all!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23044 on: 20 February, 2021, 10:41:07 am »

Surely that's the best motive of all!

That was the whole motivation for my career.  Even when I was managing development I used to get in a few hours of software demiurgy after all the botherers had gone home.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23045 on: 20 February, 2021, 11:32:38 am »
Not getting on with stuff, instead waiting for Mrs Ham to return from an emotional meeting with sister, BiL's cancer appears to have taken off again, not that it was ever in remission, just being treated. Not a time to leave someone alone.

ian

« Reply #23046 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:46:42 pm »
Singing the just one Cornetto song to the tune of the very optimistic ice-cream van up the road.

« Reply #23047 on: 23 February, 2021, 07:09:23 pm »
Singing the just one Cornetto song to the tune of the very optimistic ice-cream van up the road.

I was subjected to The Happy Wanderer by my local ice cream van yesterday. Probably the earliest in the year that I've heard it.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #23048 on: 23 February, 2021, 08:59:35 pm »
I have heard Ice Cream vans too. A bit odd for winter but there are lots of odd things happening now.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #23049 on: 24 February, 2021, 03:44:02 am »
Not sleeping  :(
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?