Author Topic: The phone rang  (Read 8510 times)

Re: The phone rang
« Reply #25 on: 07 June, 2020, 02:26:29 pm »
I have this delight on mine.

https://bigsoundbank.com/detail-0451-iphone-ringtone-alarm.html

The first time I heard it on someone's phone, I was on  a train in a station.
My instinct was to run for the doors.
Snap (at least on my work phone). Set to full volume. Impossible to ignore.

It's the sound which tells you that Things. Have. Gone. Really. Badly. Wrong. And. You. Should. Leave. As. Soon. As. Possible.
It's what would've gone off in Chernobyl.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #26 on: 07 June, 2020, 02:34:42 pm »
It's the sound which tells you that Things. Have. Gone. Really. Badly. Wrong. And. You. Should. Leave. As. Soon. As. Possible.

Reminds me of the fact that the alarm clock on the MIR space station was the same as the emergency alarm, so waking up in the morning Cosmonauts didn't know if there was a new emergency, or just a normal new day...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2020, 02:53:40 pm »
My phone is a Nokia. So it has to be that tune...
Though it seems to be a fancy modern version, not quite as annoyingly bleepy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJezRcy2P8g

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2020, 02:57:30 pm »

In the very distant past I worked at a large government site in Berkshire which didn't appear on OS maps*. There were 2 alarms: one indicated you had to leave the building by the signposted route, the other was an instruction to close all windows and stay inside.

* I see on bikehike that the buildings and internal roads are now shown, but it's  just labelled 'Depot', although Google maps give the name of the establishment.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #29 on: 07 June, 2020, 03:53:28 pm »

Reminds me of the fact that the alarm clock on the MIR space station was the same as the emergency alarm, so waking up in the morning Cosmonauts didn't know if there was a new emergency, or just a normal new day...

J
That's a nice way to start your day...

« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2020, 04:10:59 pm »
Mine used to be the opening to Bat Out Of Hell, but I've completely failed to work out how to use that on recent phones. As a result, I have no idea what my phone sounds like, it's usually on silent and my watch lets me know it's ringing.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2020, 05:22:25 pm »
Have had the ITV TDF music for years.
Great until someone rings as you are riding past someone else  ;D

Same for me on my old phone but because of some legal problem (to do with Apple demanding information) I can't have it on my i-phone so  I just have one of the standard ones.  It's a shame as the TdF one would always 'out' any fellow cyclists in the vicinity.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2020, 05:48:10 pm »

J
That's a nice way to start your day...

Given the state of Mir in the late 90s (it was in orbit for around three times its original intended service life), a normal new day was one with a new emergency.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #33 on: 07 June, 2020, 06:31:58 pm »
Tour de France team car horn for phone calls - it's quite insistent!

Rob

I'd quite like that horn on my car.
It also seems quite popular on Italian trucks and buses in the Alps.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #34 on: 07 June, 2020, 07:55:43 pm »
I have this delight on mine.

https://bigsoundbank.com/detail-0451-iphone-ringtone-alarm.html

The first time I heard it on someone's phone, I was on  a train in a station.
My instinct was to run for the doors.
Snap (at least on my work phone). Set to full volume. Impossible to ignore.

"What steps should we take?"
"Bloody great big ones"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #35 on: 08 June, 2020, 09:57:24 am »
I'm dull, so it's the standard iPhone ring, which amuses me because I have in my hand a sophisticated computer and it sounds like the first analogue BT phone my parents had (we weren't allowed to use it, on account it 'cost too much' so it sat in the corner, a source of constant ominous temptation).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #36 on: 08 June, 2020, 10:06:35 am »
John Cage.  Never need to answer at all.

A group of us persuaded Oscar's Dad (aka Violet Beauregard Partridge or some such OTP) to download 4' 33" as his ringtone when we were in a pub one evening. He was not amused, which left him in a minority of one. I think the chief cause of his Victorian temperament was the fact that it cost him 50p.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #37 on: 08 June, 2020, 10:20:36 am »

A group of us persuaded Oscar's Dad (aka Violet Beauregard Partridge or some such OTP) to download 4' 33" as his ringtone when we were in a pub one evening. He was not amused, which left him in a minority of one. I think the chief cause of his Victorian temperament was the fact that it cost him 50p.
;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #38 on: 08 June, 2020, 11:35:35 am »

J
We had the same at school with the fire alarm and the bell for end of break. There was only ever one fire while I was there. Guess when it was discovered...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #39 on: 08 June, 2020, 11:52:14 am »
The first 22 seconds of Cannonball Adderley's Dancing in the Dark

https://youtu.be/wsxcZ8qNCAQ

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 08 June, 2020, 01:39:21 pm »
We had the same at school with the fire alarm and the bell for end of break. There was only ever one fire while I was there. Guess when it was discovered...

The destructions for my fire alarm panel walk you through using the somewhat arcane cause-and-effect configuration system to provide exactly this functionality, so it's obviously a popular approach.  As configured, you'd get a second or two burst of the sounders to denote the class change, but continuous ringing (or continuously stuttered, IYSWIM) for a fire alarm.  I suppose it has the advantage that sounders get a regular test.

Our primary school had completely independent systems, with almost-but-not-quite-identical sounding mechanical bells.  I was, for a time, designated swot with a digital watch who got to sneak out of class without seeking permission in order to press the button at the start of break.  (12 year olds being cheaper and easier for primary school teachers to program than electronic timers.)

Secondary had independent systems with different sounding bells.  We got regular practice with the fire alarm, because some genius had installed a bunsen burner storage rack next to one of those break glass manual call points, and you could guarantee one accidentally falling off its hook in a tangle of rubber hoses and hitting it every term or so.

« Reply #41 on: 08 June, 2020, 01:44:41 pm »
The first 22 seconds of Cannonball Adderley's Dancing in the Dark

https://youtu.be/wsxcZ8qNCAQ

Class!
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 08 June, 2020, 02:09:46 pm »

Ok, I cannot stop laughing at this. Excellently well done!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #43 on: 08 June, 2020, 02:27:14 pm »
I used to have the theme tune to Roobarb & Custard as my ringtone but I would have a heart attack every time my phone rang, so I changed it to something less exciting.

Other TV theme ringtones I have had at various points:
Robinson Crusoe
Black Beauty
Airwolf

Airwolf works really well as a ringtone. Tempted to put it on my current phone.

I never watched the programme. I just like the theme tune.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 08 June, 2020, 02:30:48 pm »
I never watched the programme. I just like the theme tune.
  • Someone gets kidnapped by the Bad Guys.
  • The good guys with their SEEKRIT stolen prototype super-helicopter are dispatched to rescue them by a shady Gestapo-esque guy in a white suit.
  • This invariable involves shooting down a several of vietnam-era Hueys, and occasionally violating the laws of physics.
  • The End.

On a related note, the A-Team theme would seem like ideal ringtone material.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #45 on: 08 June, 2020, 02:34:35 pm »

The destructions for my fire alarm panel walk you through using the somewhat arcane cause-and-effect configuration system to provide exactly this functionality, so it's obviously a popular approach.  As configured, you'd get a second or two burst of the sounders to denote the class change, but continuous ringing (or continuously stuttered, IYSWIM) for a fire alarm.  I suppose it has the advantage that sounders get a regular test.

Our primary school had completely independent systems, with almost-but-not-quite-identical sounding mechanical bells.  I was, for a time, designated swot with a digital watch who got to sneak out of class without seeking permission in order to press the button at the start of break.  (12 year olds being cheaper and easier for primary school teachers to program than electronic timers.)

Secondary had independent systems with different sounding bells.  We got regular practice with the fire alarm, because some genius had installed a bunsen burner storage rack next to one of those break glass manual call points, and you could guarantee one accidentally falling off its hook in a tangle of rubber hoses and hitting it every term or so.
Control panel? What is this? You'll be expecting detection systems next. A minion was sent out with a hand bell. Ring it for one minute, end of break. Ring it continuously or until overcome by smoke, fire. Fires to be detected by mk one eyeball, nostril or ear. IIRC the source of ignition was someone setting fire to a text book as a jolly jape.

Ringtones: Nothing exciting this end but I do know someone whose selection of personalised tones includes a submarine type noise followed by "Warning! Warning! It's the wife!"  ::-)

I have on occasion thought The Undertones 'Why don't you ring my number?' would be good, though perhaps a bit too obvious.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #46 on: 08 June, 2020, 03:16:19 pm »
Which reminds me - I had Teenage Kicks as my ringtone for ages.

Can’t believe I’d forgotten that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #47 on: 08 June, 2020, 03:30:02 pm »
My work phone is unmodified, except for one particualr individual who triggers the Benny Hill theme when he calls. And that's being kind.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #48 on: 08 June, 2020, 05:32:04 pm »
The intro to Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #49 on: 08 June, 2020, 05:48:20 pm »
The intro to Once In A Lifetime by Talking Heads
Psychokiller for selected individuals?  :demon: