Author Topic: Other people...  (Read 854 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Other people...
« on: 26 November, 2020, 09:04:39 pm »
As you may remember largely due to lockdowns my son has not managed to take a driving test, which in itself is a bit of a first,world problem. However, he’s a social worker in deepest darkest Suffolk, and getting to see his clients is impossible without personal transport, so I’m currently his driver. It’s a pain, but it’s necessary.

As we spend so much time together we talk about his cases in general terms, ie no names, and I never drop him of outside his clients houses, so no addresses either. It amazes me the variety of issues, and the social breadth of his client base. But the decisions he has to make, the impact he can have on people’s lives, and the hours he has to put in

I don’t know about doing his job for a gold clock, I wouldn’t go near it for St Stephens tower in solid gold! He obviously gets his compassion from his mother.

It’s good to see that nice Mr Sunak is saving him from drinking too much though, by denying all public workers a pay rise this year.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Other people...
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2020, 06:20:58 am »
I'm with you Beardy, I couldn't do his job and you're right to shine a light on him. I'm sure there must be a range, when you take into account the varying reasons for social worker engagement, from the worst cases of abuse through to monitoring Foster parents, to cases like ours with a vulnerable person and a statutory visit requirement.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 27 November, 2020, 04:37:30 pm »
Frankly, I think social workers are fab.

If he's having problems getting a driving test, he can ask to be prioritised as a key worker.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2020, 05:55:06 pm »
He was planning to book a key worker test when he took his theory test. He took that on a Saturday and wen on line immediately after only to,find that he could not book a key worker test on line and the call centre didn’t work weekends. He called up 9am on the Monday morning only to be told that key worker tests were stopped on that Monday and he couldn’t book one! He ended up booking a 5 day course with an organisation because driving schools running concentrated courses got priority bookings (he couldn’t book a test through normal channels until February) The instructor wouldn’t let him take the first booked test due to lack of progress, and his second booked test was cancelled when the current lockdown was announced. He’s currently waiting for the DVSA to announce what it plans to,do going forward. It’s a shocking mess to be honest.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2020, 09:58:41 pm »
So he’s got a date for his test. As you might have seen from my message elsewhere, I’m sitting with him a lot at the moment. Ok, he made a mistake or two this morning, but on the whole he is a lot better than he was a short while ago and I now believe that we might have a chance. If you’d asked me last weekend, I’d have been noncommittal at best.
It’s hope that gets you in the end...