Author Topic: Performer trike - toe-in adjustment  (Read 1351 times)

Performer trike - toe-in adjustment
« on: 19 May, 2016, 12:34:04 am »
Hello,

I recently purchased my first recumbent and have been having an enjoyable time setting it up, taking a few test runs and adding accessories.  It's a Performer Trike-E made in Taiwan and I bought it on a well known auction site from a chap who hadn't used it much.  The trike build quality and components seem very good for the (new) price.

It's now close to being setup as I would like but I have been having issues adjusting the toe-in setting.  The steering is under seat with crossed over tie rods (not sure if that's correct term) with a threaded rose joint and lock nut on each end.  I have watched a few youtube videos demonstrating how to adjust the setting for trikes from other manufacturers and the (very basic) manual describes a similar process of slackening the lock nuts and turning the tie rods to lengthen or shorten the rod.

This process doesn't work on my trike though because all the rose joints (track rod ends) have right hand threads, so turning the rod simply moves it up or down the thread of each rose joint, the same amount on both ends.  I have been able to set the toe-in by moving the clamps up and down the handle bar (again not sure if that's the right term, steerer maybe?) but it is a very crude adjustment.  It took a great deal of tweaking and I'm worried it's going to take an age to make minor adjustments.  I have ordered a couple of left hand thread rose joints and  left/right thread adaptors (motorbike mirror adapters) to fit next time I need to adjust the toe-in.  It will add an inch or so to the total length but don't think that will be an issue if I move the clamps further apart.

It could be my trike has an assembly fault but I suspect it is an indication of a manufacturer copying someone else's  design without fully understanding it's functionality.  Apart from this issue and perhaps the front mudguard mounts, everything else appears well thought out and well designed.  Time will tell when I start to put some miles on my trike but I'm curious to know if any other Performer trike owners have experienced this problem.

Looking forward to learning how to ride it now.........

Neil

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
Re: Performer trike - toe-in adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:32:03 pm »
That's - really inconvenient. How about unbolting a balljoint and giving it half a turn? A bit of a coarse adjustment but might get closer if the tracking is a long way out.

Re: Performer trike - toe-in adjustment
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2016, 11:50:32 pm »
Thanks, that's what I did in the end.  It worked but it was a bit of a faff.  It wouldn't be a problem if it was just once every 6 months or so but I have no idea how often I'll need to adjust the toe-in.  I would love to know if it is just my trike or if Performer build them all like this.   

My adapters and left thread track rod ends have arrived but I forgot to order left hand lock nuts so it will be sometime next week before I have all the bits together.  I also spoke with a Kart firm to see if I could get some extra long tie rods made up but they didn't seem interested.

Have been enjoying getting out on my trike.  I still can't get used to cars slowing down and passing very wide but I could learn to like it.  :-)