Author Topic: Olympic Road Race Predictions  (Read 29518 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Olympic Road Race Predictions
« Reply #25 on: 27 July, 2012, 06:20:43 pm »
So nobody has money on a break?

Mind you, the Sky Train are masters at hauling 'em in.

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #26 on: 27 July, 2012, 06:32:28 pm »
bonnen and gilbert will be keen on a break as will segan the problem i see is with names like that the whole peleton will have an interest in pulling them in !
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #27 on: 27 July, 2012, 06:40:14 pm »

Nice to see that Team GB allowed a kid in team strip to ride along with them on their practice, Isn't Stannard a bit on the heavy side for the much-vaunted Box Hill circuit? He looks like a hod-carrier compared to the rest.

welshwheels

« Reply #28 on: 27 July, 2012, 06:44:22 pm »
Thats not a school kid that is the fastest man in the world you silly sausage  :P which one is wigo cant really see him there ? ???*

*oh ther he is with a great big yellow hat on and nice yellow booties  :-*

« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2012, 06:48:27 pm »
Thats not a school kid that is the fastest man in the world you silly sausage  :P which one is wigo cant really see him there ? ???*

*oh ther he is with a great big yellow hat on and nice yellow booties  :-*

It's his way of coping with being overwhelmed by the attention since he won the Tour.

« Reply #30 on: 27 July, 2012, 06:50:20 pm »
Stannard is a big guy who can do long turns on the front. If Box Hill isn't too much for him, he'll be very handy to have on the team.

« Reply #31 on: 27 July, 2012, 07:01:40 pm »
Stannard is a big guy who can do long turns on the front. If Box Hill isn't too much for him, he'll be very handy to have on the team.

That's why I was concerned about some of the slower riders being lapped. Stannard might be used to keep the leaders together before Box Hill. If we equate the pace to the Tour, then we might expect some of the weaker riders of Tour standard to be up to 8% behind by the start of the 9 circuits of Box Hill, and riders below Tour standards to be further back, so it will be tight, and the last thing that's needed is knackered Iranians wobbling all over the road in front of the leaders.

« Reply #32 on: 27 July, 2012, 07:14:25 pm »
I'll be spectating on the Box Hill Circuit tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what Team GB do to the rest of the field if or when they get on the front and wind up the pace, which I think they'll do in the last half or quarter of the race to prevent or catch any breakaways.

welshwheels

« Reply #33 on: 27 July, 2012, 07:15:06 pm »
Lars Boom (NED
 Robert Gesink (NED)
Sebastian Langeveld (NED
Niki Terpstra (NED)
Lieuwe Westra (NED)    Just spotted the netherlands team no mugs here either  :)

welshwheels

« Reply #34 on: 27 July, 2012, 07:17:26 pm »
I'll be spectating on the Box Hill Circuit tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what Team GB do to the rest of the field if or when they get on the front and wind up the pace, which I think they'll do in the last half or quarter of the race to prevent or catch any breakaways.
I think you will have team GB and zee Germans pulling on the front to either pull in the breakaway or winding it up to stop any attacks for cav and greipel

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #35 on: 27 July, 2012, 11:53:13 pm »
Eddy Boss will go with the classic riders in an ardennes style break. David 'Enigma' Millar will have worked out who is what and there will be one hell of a chase back from Box Hill to London. The thing to remember is that there is 100km before they get to Box Hill which includes Staple Lane and some tight and technical descents which may be a bit greasy after tonights rain.  Expect lots of jostling to be on the front through the tricky bits so they don't get held up by crashes. There is a chance to regroup along the A25/A24 leading to Box Hill where again everyone will be fighting for the front. The stronger teams with classics riders will put the pressure on every time up the hill - it will be fast and frantic from the off.

Whoever wins this will be a worthy winner. I hope it is Cav but there are so many variables and it is not an easy circuit.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #36 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:21:39 am »
Now watching the live coverage on the Beeb.  I predict lots of letters about the peeing  :)
Aero but not dynamic

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #37 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:26:32 am »
Did anyone else pick up on this amazing photo from the Twittersphere ?
https://twitter.com/Greghenderson1/status/228879624074059777/photo/1
Aero but not dynamic

AndyK

« Reply #38 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:37:36 am »
Wouldn't be a proper British cycle experience without dogs and pedestrians in the cycle lane, glad they managed to include them.  ::-)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #39 on: 28 July, 2012, 10:47:44 am »
I also predict that I'll be switching over to Eurosport commentary just as soon as it becomes available.  Even after less than an hour I'm already becoming exasperated with Hugh Porter.
Aero but not dynamic

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #40 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:03:17 am »
Is it available on any free view channels? Ive looked at BBC1 and 3 but hey have other sports on, or will it switch from time to time to the cycling?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #41 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:06:42 am »
Paul F: it switched a few minutes ago from BBC3 to the Red Button.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

PaulF

« Reply #42 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:16:21 am »
Paul F: it switched a few minutes ago from BBC3 to the Red Button.

Thanks, we're house sitting and don't appear to have a red button :( fortunately I've found the online coverage :)

« Reply #43 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:24:28 am »
It's on freeview channel 301 here.

PaulF

« Reply #44 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:30:29 am »
It's on freeview channel 301 here.

And here now :thumbsup:

« Reply #45 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:49:52 am »
haven't seen any YACF shirts yet & I'm watching it on freesat 153 :)

« Reply #46 on: 28 July, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »
Will GB initiate a chasing gp soon do you reckon?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #47 on: 28 July, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »
Will GB initiate a chasing gp soon do you reckon?

Any group with Cav in it will get chased down pronto.  So they'll only be initiating a chasing group if they change their priorities about who they want to win.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #48 on: 28 July, 2012, 12:44:52 pm »
I can hear The Pixies!

Coverage on the Red Button has been excellent. It was HD too. I wasn't expecting that.

'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim KrabbĂ©. Possibly

welshwheels

« Reply #49 on: 28 July, 2012, 02:02:39 pm »
is philip gilbert strong enough to go from here !!!! c'mon philip  :thumbsup:   

may I add that I want cav to win but if gilbert goes from here no one can deny him a gold