Author Topic: Anyone missing Audax?  (Read 7573 times)

Re: Anyone missing Audax?
« Reply #25 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:25:26 pm »
Yes very much. But I know what the health and care sector is under so really it's easy to count myself lucky.

+ another.  Only been near the bikes to clean and service them.

WOT

« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2020, 06:59:57 pm »
Missing the 200 I would have been preparing for and running tomorrow.  Today I rode past the silent and deserted Arrivee and some of the final lanes of the audax.

I think this was due to be my first 200km and actually 1st Audax too. Ah well looking forward to getting out again later in the year.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27 on: 28 March, 2020, 07:02:31 pm »

Today was supposed to be my first event as an organiser.

Right now the main thing I'm missing is exercise. Proper decent high heart rate exercise.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #28 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:08:09 pm »

Today was supposed to be my first event as an organiser.

I was looking forward to that!   But as was said earlier it's not that important, I can do without, as long as the government allows me to ride my bike I'm happy enough.
Regards,

Alan

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #29 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:26:57 pm »
Cancellation of events last w/e caused a mass of re-thinking; if I had kept to last year’s timing (day after Cheltenham Racing Festival) the Cheltenham New Flyer would have happened (decent weather too). My main disappointment is the block to consecutive rides in RRTY leagues; cannot even ride a private unvalidated 200 under current restrictions. Riding a long town circuit to the shops on quiet roads is a bonus for maintaining some fitness and mental challenge. Agree comment above about busy schedules on resumption and possible cancellation, rather than re-arrangement of 2020 events. Then just a mass of admin to re-direct entry fees.

I wonder if the Board might permit resumption of Perms if/when the Government announce a partial relaxation of travel restrictions, before resuming the Calendar programme?

My sole consolation, which I would rather not recognise, is that all my time now is concentrated on my role as Carer to wife Shirley, slowly losing her battle against Pancreatic Cancer. My resumption to ride Audax events is likely to combine more sadness than joy for me.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #30 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:30:12 pm »
^very sorry to hear that, Steve, and thinking of you.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 28 March, 2020, 08:33:59 pm »
Our thoughts are with you both.

What is that fundraising site you’d set up?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #32 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:11:41 pm »
Here's a thing. With my DIY org hat on, I was kinder dreading this summer, as the number of rides to process increases year on year and the current way of doing things just cannot cope. This pause at least provides a window of opportunity to regroup. We shall see.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #33 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:20:56 pm »
Also very sad to read Stephens post, and very concerned about older members of my family. The latest statistics regarding Covid19 make very sobering reading.

« Reply #34 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:40:29 pm »
Yes.
This was my comeback year.

I'm pushing more watts and will cat up in zwift in the next few races but it's a sideline.

The Annual spreadsheets:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:51:24 pm »
I was particularly looking forward to riding with you again this year, boab.

« Reply #36 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:56:04 pm »
There'll be rides, again, after this. And boy will you appreciate those extra watts and fewer kilos.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:57:40 pm »
But will those rainy descents be as thrilling?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #38 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:23:46 pm »
I don't ride many, I'm the kind of person who's happy to head out for a solo 300km bike ride without the 'restrictions' of it being an audax - but (as a socially awkward b******) I have to admit I'm missing the social aspect.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #39 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:32:56 pm »
Our thoughts are with you both.

What is that fundraising site you’d set up?
Thanks for your thoughts and concern:

You can contribute towards my sponsorship by visiting my CRUK Donations account: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/stephens-cycle-300-fundraising-page-108

I have a special Audax-based 3Peaks project in mind for later this year. It will all depend on so many variables.
SteveP

« Reply #40 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:43:15 pm »
Thoughts with Steve.

As others have said, it's the friendships forged along the way.  I'm getting out for solo rides every few days, to keep fit.  I have the rollers setup in the cellar, if it comes to that.  We're also walking good distances in between my cycling (living in a rural area does mean social interactions are easier to avoid).

Missing it?  Well, I have stuff to do.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:50:22 pm »
Not missing audax specifically, though I'd entered a few.  I've been concentrating on the silly bike racing, and had hoped to do well in the 2020 season on account of a) cheating[1]  and b) more cheating[2].  But what I'm mostly missing at this point is the ability to make future plans, especially at the more touring end of the spectrum.

I'm expecting to start missing riding my bike at some point, either due to further restrictions on movement or myself or barakta becoming ill.  I've got a turbo, which is probably better than not maintaining my lung function, but it isn't really cycling.  (I also missed the boat on those expensive computer games.)

There will be rides again, of course, but the thing is we won't all be around for them.

[1] Molishment of aerodynamic aids.
[2] Maintaining a decent level of fitness through the winter.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 29 March, 2020, 08:57:34 am »
I'm missing the longer rides, and the company, though going out for shorter, faster rides at least makes a change. I've not done any proper training for speed since my last attempt at the Mersey 24 in 2013 and in the last week already I've seen a decent increase in average speed on my benchmark "hour" circuit. I'm a outdoorsy, restless soul (all cyclists must be, no?) and being indoors more is hard, though at least I'm out and about most days for work and there's a lot to do in the garden (mine and others)! And the sun is shining.

Mrs Tomsk, with her heart condition is probably the most high-risk person to worry about, but almost all the older generation in my family are gone. Those two that remain are living too far away to do anything about and are well cared for by nearer family.

This year was meant to be a "more touring" year, with less Audax organising and fewer to ride too, oh well ... Bikes are getting loads of tlc though.
I have seen a fully laden touring cyclist pass through town the other day, presumably stealth camping and living off roadkill, though maybe the panniers were just stuffed with toilet rolls?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #43 on: 29 March, 2020, 10:03:15 am »
i still go out quite often (have done over 700km since quarantine), so not missing longer rides. my regular training rides range from 70-150km.

i'm missing riding with others, be it audax, club ride or an impromptu group around the park.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #44 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:02:21 pm »
i still go out quite often (have done over 700km since quarantine), so not missing longer rides. my regular training rides range from 70-150km.

i'm missing riding with others, be it audax, club ride or an impromptu group around the park.

That is sounding rather selfish and irresponsible, especially if you boast about it and it appears on Strava!
I can get 10 km in with a burn to the supermarket for essential food and care supplies.
SteveP

S2L

« Reply #45 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:15:37 pm »

That is sounding rather selfish and irresponsible, especially if you boast about it and it appears on Strava!
I can get 10 km in with a burn to the supermarket for essential food and care supplies.

I don't think we should fall into the trap of expressing what we think is right or wrong to do and interpret the spirit of the rules.
As far as we are aware, he is following the rules.
These conversations have been done to death and always end up badly...

Back to topic...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #46 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:22:25 pm »

a lot of unnecessary judgement in this post; everyone can choose what kind of workout is appropriate for them as long as they act responsibly.

p.s.
strength, grace and courage to your wife.

Phil W

« Reply #47 on: 29 March, 2020, 01:29:24 pm »
Missing the 200 I would have been preparing for and running tomorrow.  Today I rode past the silent and deserted Arrivee and some of the final lanes of the audax.

I think this was due to be my first 200km and actually 1st Audax too. Ah well looking forward to getting out again later in the year.

If any consolation, it was snowing and strong winds when out earlier. But now blue skies and sun. Stevenage Start of Snowytime 200!

« Reply #48 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:18:48 pm »
Not really.

When I retired from work I did one season to give it a decent try. Completed RRtY & SR which convinced me audax was more about self harm than fun.

But having said that there was still unfinished business with the Chevy Chase (DNF and I missed riding the range roads bit) and I was also signed up to help Deano with the Highland Fling so I could see what it's like from the other side. Disappointed to miss out on those but wouldn't be too bothered if I didn't do another audax.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

S2L

« Reply #49 on: 29 March, 2020, 02:27:09 pm »
Completed RRtY & SR which convinced me audax was more about self harm than fun.

Kind of agree with this.
In addition, I always struggled to shift any weight doing long distance cycling... something about getting back home and eating three times what I would normally, counteracting any benefit of exercise, let alone the bloating and indigestion caused by eating large masses of food. After 6-8 hours on the bike, I would easily eat 300-400 grams of pasta, which is 3-4 times the recommended amount, that on top of the number of chocolate bars, cake and sandwiches consumed during the ride itself.
I don't get the same riding shorter/harder... happy to get back and have a slice of toast and a cup of tea.

I don't think I am alone in this, as most randonneurs I see at events are overweight, some dangerously overweight.

BMI now steadily under 23  :thumbsup: