Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3898776 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24250 on: 21 January, 2021, 12:00:24 pm »
Another VERY windy ride, 37km on Olive, yet another visit, 2 rides, 2 visits, 2 different bikes. Managed to get home before fixing it. Ho hum.

« Reply #24251 on: 21 January, 2021, 03:50:47 pm »
An outing to test new Zefal Espion Z56 mirror I’ve fitted to my recumbent.  Couple of hours and only saw one other cyclist on the last 17% hill on final leg back home. Resounding success with full road width view behind, no longer half blocked by shoulder, as per previous mirror.

It’s breezy, but Storm Christoph has mostly bypassed Hertfordshire.

« Reply #24252 on: 22 January, 2021, 03:08:40 pm »
Yes, 40km that started badly and got gradually worse ! Anything 3% and over I was walking. In my current state I’m may well have to give it up all together.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #24253 on: 22 January, 2021, 03:14:22 pm »
Yes, 40km that started badly and got gradually worse ! Anything 3% and over I was walking. In my current state I’m may well have to give it up all together.
Ach Jim, that's not good. Can't offer you any advice, just sympathy. I spent a couple of months last year on the verge of packing it all in, eventually diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, now under control with some scary meds.
Really hoping you get this sorted, all the best.

bairn again

« Reply #24254 on: 22 January, 2021, 05:00:09 pm »
Really hoping you get this sorted, all the best.
+1 to that.  Hope you're back firing on all cylinders before long.     

« Reply #24255 on: 23 January, 2021, 12:41:30 pm »
Outing in the freezing fog with the odd bit of black ice and ice. No frost.  Met couple of mtn bikers but otherwise quiet in the lanes. Guess others were waiting for the ice to melt. Sun burnt through towards the end, which I wasn’t ready for, wearing a beanie rather than cotton cap with peak. Roughly a couple of hours.

« Reply #24256 on: 23 January, 2021, 02:16:08 pm »
A standard loop out to the Surrey Hills. Gorgeous out there.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24257 on: 23 January, 2021, 07:01:37 pm »
Another 40k today, went out more in hope than expectation. Bought some new shoes yesterday, nice flat footed ones, Specialized 2FO half price from the local Evans, And after a very nervous flat 10k or so i felt a bit more confident enough to try and clip the right foot in which went ok as long as I had the left one unclipped.

I stuck to the flat wide roads to try and build the confidence again which seemed to help me as i then ventured on to the col du Muirhead (which is about 3%) I had to get off and walk this yesterday so i was delighted to make the summit today, albeit with the arch of my left foot balancing on the pedal but right foot still clipped in! HR was through the roof though. Called it a day after that as it was bitterly cold despite the sunshine on offer.

May try again once the pedals arrive and hopefully they'll help too, Shimano A530 touring one's with a bit bigger surface area for me to balance on.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6154901852
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #24258 on: 23 January, 2021, 09:47:38 pm »
I managed 61k just within 3hrs, sticking to bus routes until it warmed up a bit. I still found a few ice patches in the lanes.  My route shows some strange zig-zags as I followed my nose (in the general direction of...).

« Reply #24259 on: 23 January, 2021, 10:14:02 pm »
Wasn't planning to cycle today but sunshine and blue skies drew me out. 43 miles and whilst it was cold I wasn't uncomfortable. Got my layering pretty much right. Little bit of achilles pain towards the end but a soak in a nice hot bath appears to have done the trick.

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #24260 on: 24 January, 2021, 12:58:00 pm »
Managed 20km through the lanes near home (Soar valley). Bluddy freezing but ok once I got going as I’d wrapped up like Nanook of the North, a couple of dodgy moments negotiating frozen streams across the road from draining fields. In the end discretion was the better part of valour and called it a day, happy I did as it’s snowing  like hell at the moment

A

« Reply #24261 on: 24 January, 2021, 05:52:25 pm »
A late afternoon outing on my recumbent in the snow, a little before sunset. Great fun especially when I overtook a struggling 4x4. He should have put winter tyres on  ;D

« Reply #24262 on: 27 January, 2021, 01:43:33 pm »
A zigzag 28k around my local lanes.  It was a bit milder today than recently, although still a few patches of ice to avoid.  Used a nice new cycle path for part of the ride, unfortunately it was covered in hedge clippings thanks to the farmer.  No visitations so they must have been old enough to have softened a bit. This was my first outdoor ride of January, reasons being:

- I no longer commute to work
- dodgy weather (cold, wet, icy) for much of the month, I'm a bit cautious now in slippy conditions
- no events and rides restricted to the local area so less of an incentive to get out, turbo is a better option for a hard workout

If I hadn't gone out before the end of the month this would have been the first time since 1984 that I hadn't done any outdoor bike rides in January, so I'm happy to have made a start on 2021 cycling. 
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #24263 on: 27 January, 2021, 04:45:57 pm »
Variation of one of my local loops, about 3 hours.  Snow of weekend now gone and warm enough in Herts not to need gloves.  Little bit of flooding in places, but fairly shallow.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24264 on: 27 January, 2021, 06:05:43 pm »
Skoggy 44km today, Olive needed a wee clean.  (not a clean with wee  ::-))

« Reply #24265 on: 27 January, 2021, 06:15:48 pm »
A exceptionally mild ride today. Shorts and knee warmers and once going could have coped without the knee warmers. After far too many visitations recently decided on an little route to Interbike schills in Marks Tey.

Took advantage of a road closed to cars due to a damaged bridge which is lovely now its really quiet. Going up a short sharp incline I shouted across to my cycling buddy I'm going soft while standing up and leaning forward. He initially thought no your not as was passing him up hill but then realised what I meant. Visitation dealt with continued onto the cycle shop to restock then a direct route home for just over 40km

Putting some heavier tyres on tomorrow as well as changing the rear brake pads which have worn away incredibly quickly. I guess even with cleaning the rims the sheer amount of skud on the roads means its pretty much grinding paste a lot of the time

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24266 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:06:38 pm »
I have been out today! First time not on a turbo in 2021. 23km around the parish, avoiding the many hills as much as possible, and doing battle with genuine fords as well as temporary floods. It was all rather pleasant, if very muddy.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #24267 on: 29 January, 2021, 07:17:35 am »
Too nice yesterday, so I went out twice...

I know, I know... infringement of the lockdown guidance, but I always ride on my own

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24268 on: 29 January, 2021, 10:52:49 am »
Went out this morning for a  1/2 arsed ride, really felt lethargic, struggled into strong wind, sat on a bench, then though bllx, I'm going home. A pathetic 17km. Sat indoors with a hot coffee, and it came over dark, (was sunny), now, 1/2 hour later its hammering down.  Sometimes you just know, don't you.  ::-)

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #24269 on: 29 January, 2021, 12:24:06 pm »
30 miles this morning at a decent 18mph training pace... trying to stock up on mileage ahead of another bout of crap weather, which is on the way.
Saw the first snowdrops... made my day  :thumbsup:

« Reply #24270 on: 29 January, 2021, 03:13:52 pm »
An outing to the west in mildly damp weather. Rode through a flood that got deeper and deeper till it reached recumbent seat.  But managed to fight my way to the other side.  Cut short and made way home after that to get dried out!  Saw two other cyclists out on my travels.

Likely give hubs some fresh grease tomorrow

« Reply #24271 on: 29 January, 2021, 04:57:55 pm »
A pleasant, mild if windy 20 miles. Must have seen at least 2 dozen other cyclists out as well. Only one flooded area, and I pavement-rode to go around that.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24272 on: 29 January, 2021, 06:48:03 pm »
I pottered to Windsor bike company this afternoon on sun ez3 to get a adjustment made to the new bearings and drive axle. Then pottered to the slough halfords to get a new front lamp for the trice   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24273 on: 30 January, 2021, 01:06:37 pm »
Went out this morning for a  1/2 arsed ride, really felt lethargic, struggled into strong wind, sat on a bench, then though bllx, I'm going home. A pathetic 17km. Sat indoors with a hot coffee, and it came over dark, (was sunny), now, 1/2 hour later its hammering down.  Sometimes you just know, don't you.  ::-)

Weather dried up, so after shopping, I popped out again, in fading light,on Grunhilda, for a rather energized, spirited 24km. Useful for setting the angle of the front light in the dark.  First time I've ridden the recumbent in the dark, and it is altogether a different experience. Most enjoyable.

« Reply #24274 on: 31 January, 2021, 04:18:59 pm »
 Local ~20km with mrs ao.  Quite cold (though I wasn't), with some light rain towards the end, but good to get out. 

Managed to ride out everyday in January, which is a first for me (in any month).

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson