Author Topic: I don't think he understands them  (Read 11155 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: I don't think he understands them
« Reply #50 on: 26 November, 2010, 02:09:11 pm »
I'd note that Stu is not as young as the others, and he's clearly taking it easy, as he accelerates rapidly to 'ramming speed' (which is, of course, significantly faster than the upwrongs).
Getting there...

« Reply #51 on: 26 November, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »
It is, given sufficiently high levels of self-control, possible to ride a recumbent at speeds lower than 'flat out'.

Is it?  Where can I get some of this "self-control" stuff - is it a gadget of some kind I should buy? 
::-)

« Reply #52 on: 26 November, 2010, 03:15:03 pm »
I had some years ago (I think) can't find it anywhere   ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 26 November, 2010, 04:00:46 pm »
This is one of those "Do as I say, not do as I do" moments, isn't it?  I seem to remember Llanberis to Corris being spent at or near R17, firmly in the red zone.

There's a Charlotte pun here, isn't there....?

That was a special occasion on account of the copious amounts of DOWN available.   :demon:

Also, I remember taking it extra-easy on the climbs.   :P

Under more normal circumstances I reserve trying to go fast for when the road's particularly inviting, I accidentally find myself leading a paceline, or if there's somebody watching.  And anyway, it's not like either me or the bike are actually any good at fast without a bit of gravitational assistance.  That's probably an n+1 excuse...

« Reply #54 on: 26 November, 2010, 09:13:44 pm »
it is called a drag brake tom_e  ;D.
 or in my case a slight hill  :o
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #55 on: 09 February, 2011, 03:03:57 am »
You get there Chris and that in the end is what matters  :thumbsup:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

ruggtomcat

« Reply #56 on: 09 February, 2011, 02:30:38 pm »
went out for my first long-ish ride on a bent yesterday. got all the usual reactions but one area where drivers really did seem to have trouble seeing me is people pulling out of parking spaces when facing the direction of traffic. they had to get nearly into the road before they could see round the car in front before they caught sight of the lit-up-like-a-christmas-tree lowracer bearing down on them. Im just gonna stay even further away from the death zone.

Im really very bad at it tho, keep stalling at junctions   :-\ was thinking of putting an 'L' plate on the back for the first 1000 miles or so.

« Reply #57 on: 09 February, 2011, 02:41:20 pm »
To be fair though, these sorts of parking situations meant the driver wouldn't be able to see a red double-decker bus, much less an upright bicycle either.  Quite a few places fine people for parking like this, IIRC.

I found that using the bike as though it were a leg press machine helped.  One very hard push in the right gear, using your leg and wedging your lower back into the seat, usually means you can coast enough to get the other leg up and clipped in.  The hard part is then keeping your upper body as relaxed as if you were reading a book with the lightest of touches on the handlebars.  Of course, riding a low racer, you could get into the habit of putting a hand down instead of unclipping, which makes it all much easier.

Another big improvement for me was doing a lot of low speed work.  Some of this was riding very slowly up lots of hills whilst struggling for balance, and the other big one was spending time in a park going around cones, and steadily increasing the difficulty.  That low speed balance will do wonders for your ability to deal with traffic situations.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 09 February, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »
I found that using the bike as though it were a leg press machine helped.  One very hard push in the right gear, using your leg and wedging your lower back into the seat, usually means you can coast enough to get the other leg up and clipped in.

Don't get into a habit of pedalling like that the rest of the time though - I'm fairly sure that's what's been causing my ITB pain.  Once you're moving, spin in circles!

Another big improvement for me was doing a lot of low speed work.  Some of this was riding very slowly up lots of hills whilst struggling for balance, and the other big one was spending time in a park going around cones, and steadily increasing the difficulty.  That low speed balance will do wonders for your ability to deal with traffic situations.

+1

Makes all the difference.  If you can balance at low speed, setting off in suboptimal circumstances becomes so much easier.

« Reply #59 on: 09 February, 2011, 06:59:29 pm »
of course adding another wheel makes it easier too  :demon:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #60 on: 09 February, 2011, 07:07:29 pm »
Yes, I did mean just for the first couple of pushes.  I'm a spinner myself, or so I'd like to think.

I'm not a fan of the whole mashing=injury myth though.  Fixed totally gives the lie to it, and received wisdom from the heavy duty fixed riders is that fixed is slightly positive for knees.  IMO it depends more on what we train our bodies to get used to, and that it's not a good idea to make big sudden changes to the volume and intensity of exercise we do.

ruggtomcat

« Reply #61 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:38:26 am »
Ive been out practicing my low speed maneuvers every day, and have had a UPD (unplanned dismount) every day! normally at extremely low speed trying to get through small gaps! If Im getting this right trying to turn sharply is a case of letting it fall sideways almost to the point of falling then giving it a boot full of power to 'slingshot' round the corner.

Got back on the DF last night, felt so high it was scary!

« Reply #62 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:09:48 am »
Every time I get on one of our ordinary bikes, I feel a little knot of fear at going so fast with my head out in front.

As far as low speed manouvering goes, one thing I found quite helpful at the start was learning on a downhill slope - that way, you can separate out control of the bike from powering it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #63 on: 10 February, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »
I'm not a fan of the whole mashing=injury myth though.  Fixed totally gives the lie to it, and received wisdom from the heavy duty fixed riders is that fixed is slightly positive for knees.

Oh, agreed.  It's not low cadences that are a problem, it's just that the forces involved can aggravate all sorts of existing problems, which may or may not be solvable.  I have a long-standing patella tracking issue that I've noticed objects to mashing a lot less that it used to (that is, I can actually mash now, I never could before) since I've been using clipless to preserve correct foot alignment and have developed my quads through cycling.  My ITB thing seems to be a combination of poor pedalling technique distinct from, but perhaps encouraged by, mashing and having legs that are different lengths.  I suspect it's become a problem now since the amount of force I can deliver is no longer limited by the patella issue.

I can see how fixed would be helpful for learning to deliver power evenly through the pedal stroke, but we have hills here and I like my gears too much.  Anyone suggesting a S3X will be shot.   ;)

As for small gaps at low speed, I find the key is not to panic.  I actually find the Streetmachine is in some ways easier than an upright in that sense, because although it's long and rigid, I have a much better intuitive feel for how wide the handlebars are.  That doesn't mean it's particularly well suited to weaving through gaps, of course, but I do have a reasonable idea if it'll fit.  On an upright, I'm much less confident about the bar width (which is why I'm a complete chicken at filtering).

Successful emergency dismounts are a valuable skill in themselves, of course.  :)

« Reply #64 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:15:14 am »
Every time I get on one of our ordinary bikes, I feel a little knot of fear at going so fast with my head out in front.

LOL, so true!  Just a couple of minutes of the fear, partly from this and partly from being so high above the ground, then I'm used to it again.

« Reply #65 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:46:41 am »
I'll never forget when I first got in the car after the week when David had lent me his demo Raptobike (and I put about 200 miles on it). I had an irresistable urge to lay the seat back - couldn't get happy at all  8)

« Reply #66 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:47:53 am »
Woah!  That's another experience I can relate to after doing the Meopham 150 and first meeting Charlotte and FWN.

« Reply #67 on: 11 February, 2011, 09:46:20 am »
Heh, same here.  The car seat just felt like a crude attempt at a proper recumbent seat, without the proper angle or shape!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 11 February, 2011, 01:37:52 pm »
+1 to both of these.

I have to actively concentrate not to take primary position in a car...

« Reply #69 on: 11 February, 2011, 01:58:29 pm »
I have to actively concentrate not to drive in the bus lane.   ;D