Author Topic: man down  (Read 9313 times)

markg0vbr

man down
« on: 01 February, 2011, 09:49:22 am »
i broke my hip on Saturday morning :'( surgeon put some bolts in Saturday night under a local aesthetic  :-X i came home Monday tea time.
i am told i can not put any weight on my foot for six weeks, i have organised a wheel chair for tomorrow so i will be out doing cardioid and pushing my self about with my good leg.
 has any one else done some thing like this how soon where they back on the trike? it is only Monday and i am climbing the walls aaaaaaarrrrg :-[ you are now all responsible for cheering me up  ;) i need good news any good news about any thing  ;D just to cheer me up and put the bounce back in my bungee  :)
has your buggies laid a egg have you won a bottle of whine in the raffle?

LindaG

Re: man down
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2011, 09:57:35 am »
Oh, bad luck that man!  Local anaesthetic?  You are hardcore!

Good news?  Um...

The local racist just put a card and some chocolates through my letterbox!

The good news is that it's excellent chocolate with lemon meringue in it.

Get well soon.

« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:01:05 am »
Bloody hell that's bad luck.

MrNesbitt is the expert on recovery from hip damage - but his was rather more major.

I think you should investigate hiring a handcrank trike - it will boost your cardio fitness.  Give your body a bit of time to heal, tho' - healing takes energy too.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

markg0vbr

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:25:39 am »
i am having the lone of a wheel chair for a bit so i can go up and down the road out side to keep my cardiovascular up, and push my self about with my good leg so just the standing on one leg doing imitation of a ballet dancer to keep the hip moving, do you know where i can any one lay there hands on on a size 18 tu-tu?
and a Viking helmet?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:39:46 am »
Crikey.  Glad you're still with us.  How's the bike/trike?  You didn't say what happened.

There's plenty of good news going on all the time, so I hope you find enough to cheer you up.

My latest good news is that I've got a neurologist appointment tomorrow evening, so I don't have to take time out of work :)
Getting there...

markg0vbr

« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:47:33 am »
fell of my bacchetta saterday had op saterday night under local aesthetic got home monday night. i think i broke a mirror and a brake cable on the bike, i have not seen it yet and asking one of my kids if it is all ok is like asking next door cat ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2011, 10:50:52 am »
...asking one of my kids if it is all ok is like asking next door cat ::-)

;D  Know where you're coming from.
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2011, 12:45:03 pm »
Brilliant you still have your sense of humour, The Oracles (D-tek) wife has had a hip replacement and he she was on a trike (up right I think) pretty quickly, maybe he will see this and be able to help.
        My good news is not only has wife kept job after various shenanigans by employer but I have discovered Dr Zhivago (the book, author is what I call a word artist - a few words and you are there) ALSO my new trike should be here Friday.
         Keep your spirits up, you will get there.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

markg0vbr

« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »
Brilliant you still have your sense of humour, The Oracles (D-tek) wife has had a hip replacement and he she was on a trike (up right I think) pretty quickly, maybe he will see this and be able to help.
        My good news is not only has wife kept job after various shenanigans by employer but I have discovered Dr Zhivago (the book, author is what I call a word artist - a few words and you are there) ALSO my new trike should be here Friday.
         Keep your spirits up, you will get there.
i have  trice q that i ride most days and tour with but friday i had three spokes brake or i would have been out on that saterday :-\
so as soon as i can i will be out on that.
good about the wife i know trade unions have lost most of there power now but they are a good resource for knowing what a employer should or should not be doing.
i think i will just go and have a not stand up for a bit as i am suddenly feeling all tired. keep it up all. ;D

« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2011, 01:04:27 pm »
Hope you're feeling better and the recovery is trouble free! :o

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2011, 01:26:25 pm »
If a message from a non-benter is of any interest.......

I was back up on my upwrong bicycle about three months after breaking my hip.  Some other people have been quicker.

At first I was putting 99% of force through the good leg, gradually normalising to 50/50 as the weeks and months went on.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

markg0vbr

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2011, 02:57:03 pm »
If a message from a non-benter is of any interest.......

I was back up on my upwrong bicycle about three months after breaking my hip.  Some other people have been quicker.

At first I was putting 99% of force through the good leg, gradually normalising to 50/50 as the weeks and months went on.
good to know i am hoping my doe the same

« Reply #12 on: 02 February, 2011, 07:16:23 pm »
get well soon  :)
the slower you go the more you see

markg0vbr

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:00:35 am »
thank you all
did not have a bad night awake most of the night but not in pain, tarted freting about getting back to work i do pest control so lofts ladders crawling about in confined spaces, will i be able to do it what will happen if not ect ect man 2 - 6am can get you thinking but bad when you can do nothing about it, i don't even know if i will end up with a hip replacement. ???

« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:22:17 am »
What did you actually break?

I don't think they do hip replacements for breaks - more for when you have joint rot.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:33:05 am »
What did you actually break?

I don't think they do hip replacements for breaks - more for when you have joint rot.

If you break the neck of femur (a favorite of old folk[1]) and it heals badly or not at all, the only option is to do a replacement. Likewise if you break the socket in some way.

1. lots of older folk used to die following a bad break. Not form the break it's self, but because they ended up being immobile for a long period and pneumonia would see them off. Don't know if this is still the case though, as SWMBO doesn't look after older folk any more.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2011, 02:54:48 pm »
Compared to if you hadn't broken your hip, there is an increased risk of the head of the femur dying from avascular necrosis after a break lower down, due to impaired blood supply through the bone (if that happens), so you have an increased chance of needing further hip treatment or a replacement later in life.

This may be mentioned several times, but try not to let it worry you.  You're still more likely than not to not need any more hip operations.  My bones are fine (as far as I know) six years on.

« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2011, 04:41:29 pm »
"avascular necrosis"?  I've not come across that term before. It's what I had as a kid.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

markg0vbr

« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:00:33 pm »
six hours is the magic number. if you brake the neck of your hip, if they can get it pined before six hours the chances are good it will be ok.

i broke my hip at 9:15, i was left in a A&E bay from 9:45 to 14:00 they had forgotten about me. it is only that the morphine had worn of and i started shouting that the nurse came to have a look.
 i was in x-ray at 14:30 on the word for 15:15 and operated on at 21:40
when the surgeon came to see me at 8:00 he explained that the pining most likely would not work but at 46years old it was worth a go, as i would most likely wear a hip replacement out.
he did bring the head of department to see me to get the time line from me, because he was not very happy about the delay of almost 12hours.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:18:04 pm »
six hours is the magic number. if you brake the neck of your hip, if they can get it pined before six hours the chances are good it will be ok.

That's interesting.  I had my accident mid-evening, but they left it until the next morning to operate - presumably because no surgical team was available sooner.

markg0vbr

« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:32:45 pm »

That's interesting.  I had my accident mid-evening, but they left it until the next morning to operate - presumably because no surgical team was available sooner.

if you do not displace the head the blood flow is not interrupted. if your leg is at a odd angle or twisted around, the blood flow is most likely interrupted   and the clock starts.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #21 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »
I wonder if it's also why you only had local aesthetic - as that could be arranged more quickly than a general?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2011, 08:50:53 am »
Lots of very good reasons for using a local anesthetic over a general, without worrying the man :)

It is faster, that's good for all sorts of reasons.
It has less side effects.
It's safer.
Recovery time is less
It's cheaper, no only in administering, but also because of recovery rate.
It gives the surgeon someone to talk to while he works.

See lots of good reasons, none of which will cause worry for the poor chap :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

markg0vbr

« Reply #23 on: 04 February, 2011, 09:46:39 am »
I wonder if it's also why you only had local aesthetic - as that could be arranged more quickly than a general?
i had tb when a child, so only have 2/3 normal lung capacity + hart murmurs, extremely low blood pressure and slow hart rate  that is slightly erratic. bless when the nice lady was looking at the chart i could see the cogs going round"er how do you feel about having a epidural?"  ;D i was happy with that as i could give helpful suggestions and tips to the Surgeon "you don't wont to do it like that give it some hammer ho my not using 8mm crews are you? tut tut" and as i was on some happy juice give them some hart felt renderings of my favourite songs, including some baron nights, as they where wheeling me out he was laughing his ass off.

« Reply #24 on: 05 February, 2011, 01:41:00 pm »
Mark,

So assuming you make a full recovery, are you going to get back on the giro? And are you going to look into body armour? I have to say your misfortune worries me. I came off my Giro 20 last year in the wet but my hip escaped the fall. It was my hand, the brake lever and my elbow that mainly copped it. I have some elbow pads that I might consider using, I'm not sure how practical hip protection is. It does have me wondering if a low racer is safer, just less far to fall from.

Hope you're feeling more comfortable.

Paul