Author Topic: man down  (Read 9324 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: man down
« Reply #25 on: 05 February, 2011, 02:48:15 pm »
. . . do you know where I can lay hands  on a size 18 tu-tu?
and a Viking helmet?

Can't help with the tu-tu but I'll check with Mrs Torslanda . . .  ;D <<runs>>

Glad you came thru' it, keep mobile and keep your spirits up

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #26 on: 05 February, 2011, 10:17:14 pm »
It does have me wondering if a low racer is safer, just less far to fall from.

Sadly I have come off my Raptobike lowracer several times now at various speeds. Certainly I can't imagine you'd ever be able to break a bone, although it's no protection against road rash. You just sort of find youself sitting on the ground, at speed  :-[

markg0vbr

« Reply #27 on: 06 February, 2011, 01:43:01 pm »
Mark,

So assuming you make a full recovery, are you going to get back on the giro? And are you going to look into body armour? I have to say your misfortune worries me. I came off my Giro 20 last year in the wet but my hip escaped the fall. It was my hand, the brake lever and my elbow that mainly copped it. I have some elbow pads that I might consider using, I'm not sure how practical hip protection is. It does have me wondering if a low racer is safer, just less far to fall from.

Hope you're feeling more comfortable.

Paul
arrantly i have osteoporosis, at about 5mph and just landing on your butt, you should not brake a hip. but it looks like i will have to stick with riding the trike from now on.

« Reply #28 on: 06 February, 2011, 05:07:22 pm »
 but it looks like i will have to stick with riding the trike from now on.

Well, at least the only option is a pleasant one, can you not combat osteoporosis by diet and exercise ?
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

markg0vbr

« Reply #29 on: 06 February, 2011, 09:48:00 pm »
but it looks like i will have to stick with riding the trike from now on.

Well, at least the only option is a pleasant one, can you not combat osteoporosis by diet and exercise ?
i have a very healthy diet do not drink or smoke and do exercise every day, so god knows what state i would be in if i was the same as this the blokes i work with.
how  think it is hysterical that the exorcizing health food nut that will not ever drink caffeine has as much wrong with them as me, gives you a insight into the kid of people i work with.

« Reply #30 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:52:40 am »
One can be to healthy (if you know what I mean), I more meant some calcium rich foods, even (shreik in horror) more dairy coupled with load bearing type exercise.
     Theoretically Vegans should be extremely healthy yet a consultant I spoke to said a lot of vegans suffer from excess fat round the organs through the high vegetable fat (some pulses etc) in their diet.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #31 on: 10 February, 2011, 01:32:05 am »
Damnit. You seem to be on the road to recovery.

I was hoping to come here later and trade gibberish with you when my meds kick in. This whole falling off a 'bent thing is getting a bit popular round here. :)

First one on two feet unassisted wins.
 :demon:  ;D
Andy.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

markg0vbr

« Reply #32 on: 10 February, 2011, 09:54:42 am »
typing improved as pain increased, the pain the pain Igor i will need your stoutest rubber gloves a daffodil two yards of knicker elastic and one large wall-nut, tally hoooooooooooooooe

yesssss masssster, will sir require his giggling hat it is slightly chilly out to day.

no Igor a hearty manic laugh at the hill top launch sight will suffice.

<tune of dick Barton special agent> will oure hero ever reach escape velocity in his faired wheel chair of will sanity prevail <sound of woman making feeble attempt at a scream> dont mention the sanity i had some ointment for it and it dried up and fell off.
tune in next time to find out.

markg0vbr

« Reply #33 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:17:36 am »
Damnit. You seem to be on the road to recovery.

I was hoping to come here later and trade gibberish with you when my meds kick in. This whole falling off a 'bent thing is getting a bit popular round here. :)

First one on two feet unassisted wins.
 :demon:  ;D
Andy.
gosh i hope it is nothing drastic, of course i need gory and detailed retelling with dramatic similes, what was going through your mind at point of impact? what treatment did you get? er...... what.......er .. drugs cough.

for my part i have adjusted some what and find the lack of sleep stimulating  my creative side, sofa i have reinvented my poking the lad how is asleep on the sofa because i need something stick, several times it is now a multi function device, tripping passing dogs when i am board, i think they pity me as they sort of flop over for me to rub there tummy rather than a proper trip.
open and close the draft thing on the front of the log burner, tap the ceiling for attention, scratch feet, back lads head very delicately so as not to wake him but enough to annoy him and point expansively when describing the location of a item that need retrieving.

a new rodent control method,  using a S.E.P.-trap.
a Somebody Else's Problem tap is a feed in chamber where mouse or rat runs in to get a tasty bit of bait, triggering the clockwork mechanism that flips them in to a chamber at the base of a air canon firing them out of your property and thus becoming some body else's problem. the difficulty i have is range two high a pressure and splat two low an lack of range the best compromise i found is to shave a spiral in to the rats fur giving the same affect as barrelling a gun, this tends to give the game away a it is quite distinctive negating the S.E.P. so this needs some thought.

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #34 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:43:28 pm »
Very bad luck! I broke a neck of femur 3 years ago - fell off my DF commuting bike on black ice. My hip bone took the whole impact. They couldn't operate for 3 days because I had been on warfarin (for blood thinning) and they had to wait until it cleared. There was no mention of a rush to get the job done, just apologies that I was left lying around for so long.

The other difference was that having put a dynamic hip screw (dhs) to fix the break, the physios were round to me a couple of hours later (op done under sedation, like you) and had me walking up and down the ward and doing all kinds of very painful exercises. It was a case of, "of course you can't finish your lunch first. What do you think this is, a holiday camp, etc? Apart from making sure that I was back on my feet and not forgetting how to walk properly, the purpose of the exercise was to get my leg bending again. That gradually returned over several weeks. Actually I was dead lucky with the physios; they were brilliant. I got back on a turbo trainer after a couple of weeks but like you I was banned from cycling outside for about 12 weeks until the bone had healed sufficiently to take another knock, I suppose.

Anyway, hope you recover well and fast. I would recommend the turbo as soon as you are allowed. Excellent and completely safe exercise.

markg0vbr

« Reply #35 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »
Very bad luck! I broke a neck of femur 3 years ago - fell off my DF commuting bike on black ice. My hip bone took the whole impact. They couldn't operate for 3 days because I had been on warfarin (for blood thinning) and they had to wait until it cleared. There was no mention of a rush to get the job done, just apologies that I was left lying around for so long.

The other difference was that having put a dynamic hip screw (dhs) to fix the break, the physios were round to me a couple of hours later (op done under sedation, like you) and had me walking up and down the ward and doing all kinds of very painful exercises. It was a case of, "of course you can't finish your lunch first. What do you think this is, a holiday camp, etc? Apart from making sure that I was back on my feet and not forgetting how to walk properly, the purpose of the exercise was to get my leg bending again. That gradually returned over several weeks. Actually I was dead lucky with the physios; they were brilliant. I got back on a turbo trainer after a couple of weeks but like you I was banned from cycling outside for about 12 weeks until the bone had healed sufficiently to take another knock, I suppose.

Anyway, hope you recover well and fast. I would recommend the turbo as soon as you are allowed. Excellent and completely safe exercise.
i do not have a trainer so can only sit on the trike and back-peddle it is at least giving me the rang of movement.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #36 on: 11 February, 2011, 12:36:35 pm »
Lift the back wheel with a stand of some sort, and go for a light application of parking brake!

Job is - as they say - a goodun

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 11 February, 2011, 01:31:43 pm »
Lift the back wheel with a stand of some sort

Turbo trainers work well for this.  ;D

Start a thread, a friendly YACFer may be willing to lend you one - I'm currently using robgul's to work on my bike fit / pedalling technique.   :thumbsup:

markg0vbr

« Reply #38 on: 11 February, 2011, 11:17:05 pm »
parking brake! er not fitted.
the best thing about a trike is you can not fall off, my gearing is a 24t front 34t on the back with a 20" = 13 gear inches wheel so quite low just riding up and down the road should be like a trainer :thumbsup:

« Reply #39 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:34:14 am »
What did you actually break?

I don't think they do hip replacements for breaks - more for when you have joint rot.

In some cases the provision of a THR is a better option than pins, plates and the following lengthy and difficult rehabilitation.

« Reply #40 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:49:01 am »
Only just seen this since I don't look at The Dark Side. I was told to be non weight bearing on my broken side for 3 months. I had two operations under GA to repair my broken acetabulum (the socket).  I wasn't discharged until I could walk up and down stairs with crutches. I never used a wheelchair. The two operations were 8 days apart, I was in traction for 8 days before the first operation to allow the internal bleeding to stop.  Total hospital stay was 20 days, total time under GA was about 10 hours. I have never used a trike.  I walked unaided two months after my surgery and was pedalling on an exercise bike at my first physio session which was three months after my surgery. On a turbo trainer afer four month. I was cycling on the road five months later. heres the extent of my inury My Pelvis | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

« Reply #41 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:53:37 am »
PS. A hip replacement wouldn't have suited me, not enough solid bone to embed the cup, and my femour wasn't damaged. My damaged area still aches almost everyday especially when my bowel needs to be moved. I'll never ski again, basket ball is out as it running. Even standing around hurts.

markg0vbr

« Reply #42 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:05:56 pm »
Only just seen this since I don't look at The Dark Side. I was told to be non weight bearing on my broken side for 3 months. I had two operations under GA to repair my broken acetabulum (the socket).  I wasn't discharged until I could walk up and down stairs with crutches. I never used a wheelchair. The two operations were 8 days apart, I was in traction for 8 days before the first operation to allow the internal bleeding to stop.  Total hospital stay was 20 days, total time under GA was about 10 hours. I have never used a trike.  I walked unaided two months after my surgery and was pedalling on an exercise bike at my first physio session which was three months after my surgery. On a turbo trainer afer four month. I was cycling on the road five months later. heres the extent of my inury My Pelvis | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
mine is a clean brake straight through the ball, i have three pins up through the bone.
i had local as with hart and lungs like mine general is out, fell of bike at 9:15am Saturday home 5pm Monday, i have only gave up biking 12 years ago with back wrist and neck problems and was in a mess i could not walk to the shop and back, then i descuverd  recumbent trikes three years ago, i lost over a st, increased my lung capacity to almost normal, i now have a low bp and slow hart rate.
i will have six weeks foot up but have been turning the crank slowly to keep my hip moving.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #43 on: 12 February, 2011, 08:09:34 pm »

I don't think they do hip replacements for breaks - more for when you have joint rot.

If you break the neck of femur (a favorite of old folk[1]) and it heals badly or not at all, the only option is to do a replacement. Likewise if you break the socket in some way.

1. lots of older folk used to die following a bad break. Not form the break it's self, but because they ended up being immobile for a long period and pneumonia would see them off. Don't know if this is still the case though, as SWMBO doesn't look after older folk any more.

It's many years since I worked in orthopaedics, but when I did, the rule of thumb was 1/3 of over 80s would be dead 3 months after a hip replacement if it was a result of trauma, rather than elective.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

markg0vbr

« Reply #44 on: 13 February, 2011, 11:53:10 am »

If you break the neck of femur (a favorite of old folk[1]) and it heals badly or not at all, the only option is to do a replacement. Likewise if you break the socket in some way.

1. lots of older folk used to die following a bad break. Not form the break it's self, but because they ended up being immobile for a long period and pneumonia would see them off. Don't know if this is still the case
though, as SWMBO doesn't look after older folk any more.
It's many years since I worked in orthopaedics, but when I did, the rule of thumb was 1/3 of over 80s would be dead 3 months after a hip replacement if it was a result of trauma, rather than elective.

the seen a dank middle age vermin infested street, a man following a hand cart pushed by several rag covered old crowns (please note one is not called Dennis)  he is hitting a rood bell and shouting bring out your dead.
a man walks in to the street carrying a cyclist over one shoulder, "here you are, got one for you"<in a week and feeble voice> the cyclist mumbles "i am feeling better i think i will go for a little peddle" the man from the corner of his mouth says shut up you old git your not fooling any one "i feel happy, i wont a bite of flapjack"
the man with bell "ear he aint dead i cant take him!"
"go on duse us a favourer, he just flopped down in't road in't frunt er mi" <feeble cyclist>" i will just have a spin up to Scarborough" 
the two men look at each other meaning fully, there is a unspoken conversation, look i know he int dead and i know you know i know but its just a cyclist.
ho alight then just this once mind, he raps the cyclist on the the helmet several times to screams of, oooow givover, stop it, that uuuurt, he then stops hitting the cyclist in the groin and hits him on the head, throws him on to the cart and carry s on.

markg0vbr

« Reply #45 on: 15 February, 2011, 06:53:11 pm »
the time is nigh, <to the tune of the wizard of oz> wear of to see the physiotherapist of Rotherham the wonderful physiotherapist of Rotherham because because because becauseeeee of the wonderful things they doooo, there going to be bending bits and stretching thing about with growing shouts for Mersey pleeeeeeeeeeease i beg you stop whimper.

markg0vbr

« Reply #46 on: 17 February, 2011, 03:19:53 pm »
been to see the quack and light peddling is now ok  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
hooray hooray is a happy happy day

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #47 on: 17 February, 2011, 03:23:13 pm »
That's quick!  :o :thumbsup:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

markg0vbr

« Reply #48 on: 17 February, 2011, 06:10:46 pm »
That's quick!  :o :thumbsup:
he said it would help it heal faster.

« Reply #49 on: 17 February, 2011, 07:23:29 pm »
You spelt it wrong, it is Physio Terrorist    ;D

the time is nigh, <to the tune of the wizard of oz> wear of to see the physiotherapist of Rotherham the wonderful physiotherapist of Rotherham because because because becauseeeee of the wonderful things they doooo, there going to be bending bits and stretching thing about with growing shouts for Mersey pleeeeeeeeeeease i beg you stop whimper.