Author Topic: Laid back and waterproof  (Read 8316 times)

Laid back and waterproof
« on: 03 December, 2011, 01:53:53 am »
Since starting to ride a recumbent trike (full recline) the nearest I have got to staying dry is with an old Gore Tex Karrimoor jacket, no outside pockets and a  good storm flap over the zip, I have tried North Face and Madison only to get soaked through pit zips or pockets as the rain (of course) just lays on top of you.
    I would like Gore Tex preferably with no pit zips or outer pockets, any ideas  :)

PS: I have resorted to wrapping myself in a yellow cycle cape from Argos when it pours but however you do it it flaps about and looks daft (and Barbara says I look like a giant jelly baby in it :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Re: Laid back and waterproof
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2011, 07:07:31 am »
I gave up with a zipped jacket and went for an over the head job it does have a chest pocket ideal for your phone etc.
A shitter and a giggler.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2011, 08:32:10 am »
To move this message to the Dark Side forum section that discusses wheelbarrows recumbents and such like use the "move topic" button, at the bottom of the page on the left

This brings up another screen and there is a selector which is initially set to "The Knowledge".  "The Dark Side" is about 8 down in the list.

« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2011, 05:14:31 pm »
Wheelbarrows  :o only the uninformed amoeba could call an ICE trike a wheelbarrow, quick (in the right hands) and incredible fun.
     However if the post is in the wrong place it shall be moved,
                                                      :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2011, 05:18:14 pm »
*watches thread with interest*

I'm not a big fan of waterproofs, generally preferring to be wet with rain rather than my own sweat, but for the odd occasion where they're actually useful it would be nice to have something that's a bit better suited to lying down on the job...

Drain holes in the elbows, anyone?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2011, 05:25:23 pm »
Like any jacket I find once the rain's heavy enough to go through any zip I'm going to get wet anyway. Cold and wet is bad, warm and wet not so.
I currently have an ICE recumbent jacket that I got 2nd hand which is good but expensive.

Rich

« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2011, 05:35:03 pm »
*watches thread with interest*

I'm not a big fan of waterproofs, generally preferring to be wet with rain rather than my own sweat, but for the odd occasion where they're actually useful it would be nice to have something that's a bit better suited to lying down on the job...

Drain holes in the elbows, anyone?

4c at 04-00 and wet this morning on my ride home, a storm flap over the zip is essential (the pocket on the Karrimoor was under the storm flap-intelligent design) and preferably Gore Tex

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2011, 05:38:08 pm »
Yeah, I tend not to ride in those sort of temperatures if I can avoid it (asthma kicks in below about 6C), and when I do, it's usually on an upwrong.

« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2011, 09:18:44 pm »
i find that the "sealed zips" do the job for me.

« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2011, 09:43:28 pm »
Yeah, I tend not to ride in those sort of temperatures if I can avoid it (asthma kicks in below about 6C), and when I do, it's usually on an upwrong.

Minus 14c is my lowest so far  :P

Sealed zips !  My Madison had those front/pit/pocket zips and the sitting water just seeped in

« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2011, 10:31:58 pm »
Wheelbarrow seems good to me.  ;D
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2011, 10:35:10 pm »
Wheelbarrow seems good to me.  ;D

Especially if it means we're allowed to compete in the wheelbarrow race...

Wothill

• over the hills and far away
« Reply #12 on: 05 December, 2011, 09:44:42 pm »
i find that the "sealed zips" do the job for me.
That's very interesting. I had been wondering whether these zips would resist the small puddles of water I sometimes get on my front. I presently have a paclite smock (over the head) but it was quite expensive even in a sale and I don't know if Haglofs still make them. Works very well but it was available only in black, which I am not keen on. Bit more choice with the sealed zip jackets.

« Reply #13 on: 06 December, 2011, 07:46:49 am »
I'm currently considering a cycling cape and attaching it using elastic to my knees/thighs to see if that helps keep the worst of the rain off and yet keep me from boil-in-the-bag syndrome. However I'm worried that wind in the wrong direction would inflate the whole think like a Zeppelin.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #14 on: 06 December, 2011, 07:38:47 pm »
I'm currently considering a cycling cape and attaching it using elastic to my knees/thighs to see if that helps keep the worst of the rain off and yet keep me from boil-in-the-bag syndrome. However I'm worried that wind in the wrong direction would inflate the whole think like a Zeppelin.

This is what I am trying at the moment, Barbara is going to trim and re profile it so it is less bulky (make it like a long tuck under Tabard), it works in its original form quite well (heavy rain), also stops the wind very well  :)

« Reply #15 on: 06 December, 2011, 08:56:18 pm »

http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/products/commercial/aviation_drysuits/typhoon_over_water_passenger_/

Happy to help!

Being serious, a decent kayak drysuit might just work..

« Reply #16 on: 06 December, 2011, 10:22:37 pm »
Good way to lose weight (sweating)

« Reply #17 on: 07 December, 2011, 11:44:08 am »
I find that a cycling shirt, wool jumper with pertex top copes with just about everything.

« Reply #18 on: 07 December, 2011, 11:58:41 am »

http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/products/commercial/aviation_drysuits/typhoon_over_water_passenger_/

Happy to help!

Being serious, a decent kayak drysuit might just work..

Great. The new rainproofs for recumbent riders.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 07 December, 2011, 03:05:49 pm »
The one in front is modelling the HPVelotechnik version, presumably?

« Reply #20 on: 08 December, 2011, 01:30:38 pm »
One selection of apparel sported on the HPVelo website used to be on the frame colour selection page.

Whilst the material itself might have been waterproof,  I don't think the young lady wearing it whilst sitting on a trike would have been dry. Rubber/pvc and long kinky boots (probably spd-less) probably didn't do a lot to stop rain going places where she really wouldn't want it..

(Yes, I know this isn't much use without pictures...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 08 December, 2011, 03:18:01 pm »
I know the picture of which you speak.  I may have studied the impracticality in some detail.  Maybe.   :demon:

« Reply #22 on: 08 December, 2011, 07:18:37 pm »
Worth getting wet for though  :o

One selection of apparel sported on the HPVelo website used to be on the frame colour selection page.

Whilst the material itself might have been waterproof,  I don't think the young lady wearing it whilst sitting on a trike would have been dry. Rubber/pvc and long kinky boots (probably spd-less) probably didn't do a lot to stop rain going places where she really wouldn't want it..

(Yes, I know this isn't much use without pictures...)

« Reply #23 on: 15 December, 2011, 12:08:19 pm »
Wheelbarrows  :o only the uninformed amoeba could call an ICE trike a wheelbarrow,

IIRC upright trikes are/were know as barrows, and the riders thereof as barrow-boys.

« Reply #24 on: 15 December, 2011, 01:11:21 pm »
And I called my Ken Rogers tandem trike many other things as well, however, it doesn't appear that any company makes anything that will keep me dry on my back and Gore Tex has stated that the production run is to big to think about it, ah well.