Author Topic: Laid back and waterproof  (Read 8245 times)

Re: Laid back and waterproof
« Reply #25 on: 19 December, 2011, 03:29:07 pm »
I don't like long sleeves as there is nothing to stop the water running in on the left hand side.
This means I always get a nice stream of cold water dripping down my left armpit when it rains.
Plus I find getting at the elbow lock a lot more fiddlely through the fabric.
I ended up looking at canoeing tops and found they do half sleeve cags.
So I've just ordered a Reed Short Sleeve Dry Cag.
I'm not sure how well I'll get it on over the armour plating but they looks interesting.

I've also ordered some pre-bent shorts from there as well ......  :facepalm:

I'll report back on how well they work once I've tried them in the rain .........  ;D

« Reply #26 on: 20 December, 2011, 12:50:37 pm »
What would do it for me (as the leak I get on the North Face is the chest pocket, being as we know laid on me back) is a waterproof tabard/reflective type waist coatie thing.
        When raining I look like a bloody canary at the moment as I wrap myself in a cycle cape which however hard I try still billows about  :o
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #27 on: 20 December, 2011, 01:17:49 pm »
One thing I've just bought, but yet to try in anything other that a few spots of rain - so may yet be just an expensive experiment (or at least, a short sleeved windstopper/waterproof gilet) - is one of these:
http://www.probikekit.com/uk/clothing/mens/cycling-clothing/jerseys/castelli-gabba-windstopper-rain-cycling-jersey-1.html

- not exactly given away at 75 quid for a large in white (that's way cheaper than the other sizes..or rrp :o ) - and I've got the water-resistant-but breathable nanoflex arm/leg warmers and shorts to suit. My main nuisance is getting soaking on cold/fastish commutes to somewhere where I then sit for an hour or two getting cold and miserable, (beer/exercise permitting), before returning home.

First indications are that it certainly does the windstopper bit - had just a jersey under it when it was pretty cold last week, and it was fine. Minor drawbacks are the seams aren't sealed (mebbe washing durability?) and the zip's not waterproof, but being pretty breathable may well offset any odd zip leakiness - I can always stick a spare t-baselayer in my bag, so long as I'm not p*ssed through and getting cold as a result, I'll be a happy bunny.

« Reply #28 on: 20 December, 2011, 02:03:05 pm »
What would do it for me (as the leak I get on the North Face is the chest pocket, being as we know laid on me back) is a waterproof tabard/reflective type waist coatie thing.
I ride in a waterproof tabard/gilet at the moment.
I find they leak to much water in at the armpits.
Plus water leaks in through the zip.
So they are only good in a light shower.
Hence getting/trying out the more T shirt type half cag.

« Reply #29 on: 20 December, 2011, 06:19:18 pm »
maybe a full fairing would be the answer  :).although i cannot keep up with you now  ;D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #30 on: 20 December, 2011, 06:38:56 pm »
Happy Christmas Chris, I would love a full fairing but I don't think Barbara would be happy as it would most definately have to live in the house  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #31 on: 20 December, 2011, 06:51:02 pm »
you will have to buy her one as well ;). have a great christmas  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #32 on: 20 December, 2011, 07:03:06 pm »
tis the season to be merry, lots of whiskey, pies and jelly, chers Chris (and all others)  ;D

markg0vbr

« Reply #33 on: 23 December, 2011, 11:41:50 pm »
well i just put my rain jacket on back to front and leave the zip undone.
as i am very reclined on my catrike speed my back stays dry and cool if the rain lessens as the ride goes on, i just pull it down and bunched up across my lap, leave my arms in the sleeves to keep the spray from the wheels of them.
it works well in the cold as well on long slow climes pull it down so it is all bunched up on my lap at the top just pull it back up to keep the wind off on fast down hills.
i never have a cold back and i can use the big pocket across the back of the jacket as it is now at the front.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 27 December, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »

Believe it or not, I've never thought of doing that. I'll try it.

Er... or was that a joke? And I fell for it.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #35 on: 27 December, 2011, 06:30:01 pm »
Barbara did sugest this but (always a but) when one leans forward to use the water bottle it will (the law according to sod) flap loose, I am sure though that this idea could be adapted with a solid front and a double storm flap side zip, will Gore be brave enough to try this.
        Doubt it

:-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 27 December, 2011, 06:30:44 pm »
What is this 'water bottle' of which you speak? :)

« Reply #37 on: 27 December, 2011, 06:34:59 pm »
the sort one drinks from ;D Tis the poxy computer I use at work, it sends stuff at will

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 27 December, 2011, 06:37:51 pm »
You appear to have a recumbent with a usable water bottle holder.  What is this madness?   ;)

« Reply #39 on: 27 December, 2011, 06:53:14 pm »
You appear to have a recumbent with a usable water bottle holder.  What is this madness?   ;)

You want a usable water bottle holder? See this and weep tears of envy  :P

Note also the rear view mirror (stowed for maximum aerodynamic efficiency), MP3 player, lights (two visible in the photo, there's a third too), radio (Long Wave for Test Match Special) and, of course, the GPS.

Two nil, Kim I think.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 27 December, 2011, 07:00:06 pm »
Oh my.   :o

You are Captain Dashboard AICM5P.

« Reply #41 on: 27 December, 2011, 07:05:49 pm »
Captain Dashboard?!?

You mean there's someone out there with even more stuff cluttering the handlebars?

Dammit woman I need to know. Who is this masked hero?

« Reply #42 on: 27 December, 2011, 07:09:59 pm »
Look of awe  :P

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 27 December, 2011, 07:57:38 pm »

« Reply #44 on: 27 December, 2011, 08:15:32 pm »
Glove compartment? Hmm.....

« Reply #45 on: 27 December, 2011, 10:44:33 pm »
You just know that there's somebody out there with a handlebar mounted ashtray, with matching lighter  ;D

« Reply #46 on: 27 December, 2011, 11:05:45 pm »
I used (many moons ago) to smoke a pipe with a ventilated lid on top  ;D

markg0vbr

« Reply #47 on: 28 December, 2011, 10:29:09 am »

Believe it or not, I've never thought of doing that. I'll try it.

Er... or was that a joke? And I fell for it.
no it is not a joke there is some video of me, at the Sheffield council  strike with the jacket on back to front!
i pull the hood/collar up to cover the bottom part of my face and chin keeps me warm and dry

i did think about making a net panel to zip in but gave it a go without and it works so why got to all that trouble.
the only thing you have to remember to do it pull the draw strings tight at the bottom of the jacket so the jacket dose not hang down to low and ether rub on the chain or in my case drag on the floor, my trike has only 2" ground clearance.

« Reply #48 on: 28 December, 2011, 12:11:20 pm »
And this looks cool, yes?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 28 December, 2011, 01:38:54 pm »
And this looks cool, yes?

If you're on a recumbent, it's sub-zero by definition, surely?   :D

The usual rule about the dorkiness of cycle-specific clothing increasing with the square of the distance to the bike applies.