Author Topic: Spotted on a recumbent  (Read 9574 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Spotted on a recumbent
« on: 06 June, 2014, 09:32:22 am »
Lets have a thread for times when you spot a recumbent, and perhaps link up riders.

Today on the bus into work, I spotted a recumbent on the way to work in Dalgety Bay. The handle bars were the 'over the knees' type which are most comon (in my mind) on the Bacchetta, of which I am lucky enough to know two riders here in Scotland.

So were you riding through Dalget Bay in Fife this morning on your Bent?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Re: Spotted on a recumbent
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2014, 09:46:27 am »
I saw at least 20 recumbents ......
....all parked up  ...
...on my way to work this morning  ;D

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2014, 09:50:10 am »
....all parked up  ...

Ha ha!! Yes I expect I would spot a few on my way past Laidback Bikes in the Burgh. So anyone else spot any recently being ridden along?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2014, 10:05:20 am »
In the ten weeks on my ride down the Black Sea, I've seen ............
One velomobile, a couple of delta's, half a doz tadpoles of which two where hand cycles, a doz or so two wheel bents and a unicycle.
So this trip has been a good one for seeing bents.

« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2014, 10:22:52 am »
I keep seeing a guy at the top of my road wheeling his Cheetah off the steep cobbles. I keep hoping to show off my rather similar Fujin but I'm sticking on the fixed at the moment as it's less susceptible to children dicking about at my less than satisfactory work parking. New job should be starting soon which will be recumbent friendly though.

I know there are at least a couple of other recumbents in Sheffield though.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2014, 10:59:18 am »
Riding round this bit of Germany - flat as a pancake, just 10 miles from the Netherlands - I see on average two other recumbents on a 50km ride. Which is very cool!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2014, 11:23:37 am »
I've only seen three in all my life, they seem to be a bit thin on the ground in my area, but that could all change soon, but I can only afford a cheap one. :'(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2014, 11:41:35 am »
I think it's been almost a year since I spotted a recumbent rider that I didn't know.  Last time was probably a pair of German tourists on fully loaded Azub tourers outside a pub in Machynlleth.  As I was on a fully loaded Streetmachine, it would have been rude not to pull in and say hello.

I don't see many 'bents in the wild around Birmingham, though I know a handful of local riders (mostly of tadpole trikes).

Of course if you hang around (say, at a railway station) with a recumbent, you'll get approached by incognito recumbentists from time to time.  You know the conversation:  "Ooh, short-wheelbase.  I've got a Windcheetah in the garage.  Must get round to sourcing a new $pingfuckit so I can ride it." sort of thing.  I don't think that counts for the purposes of the thread though.

« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2014, 12:16:41 pm »
There's one I see fairly regularly in Durham (though I've never seen it ridden). I always find it parked outside a city pub of a certain type (Queens Head, Elm Tree, Woodmans). It's usually sometime mid afternoon. One of these days I must pop into the bar and see who owns it.

« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2014, 12:44:37 pm »
Mrs Trekker12 and I came across a dutch couple on their journey from Inverness to Harwich a few weeks ago lost in Ipswich looking for their campsite. We rode with them half a mile or so until we could guide them back onto the road they needed.

The lady was on a recumbent which is probably the first I've seen in the metal and definitely a fully loaded touring example, should have asked for a picture...

Did make me think I'd quite like one some day.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2014, 01:30:26 pm »
I see two most times I go out in London, but that's because I'm generally cycling with them ! Often see Wendy in Hyde Park doing skating lessons and a few others when we go out on London recumbent Group runs. Although was cycling in Uppsala Sweden a few weeks ago (on an up wrong -sorry !) and saw and trike and a high racer !
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2014, 06:53:16 pm »
Not me Dave - commuted the long way home tonight but that only took me as far as Carrbridge - which is even further north from Dalgety Bay. Last weekend 20% of Quinaig Quest 300 were on recumbents, me, Alf and Julian from Edzel. It's all getting a bit too mainstream for my liking.

Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2014, 08:26:34 pm »
I went into a cycle shop in Windsor this afternoon and met a chap with a nice vortex trIce .based in Windsor :-)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2014, 09:04:29 am »
Greetings from a newly converted bent rider. I've had a grasshopper for two weeks now and while out riding yesterday saw a delta regime rider. Stopped him and had a chat. I thought he was "cheating" with an electric assist as he shot by me. But when he stopped I realised it was just being peddle powered.

Earlier in the afternoon saw at least a dozen trikes at the Olympic site.

Earlier in the year I spotted a velobike coming past battersea cats and dogs home. That's the only one of them I've ever seen.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2014, 09:09:26 am »
I've seen quite a few velomobiles recently...

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 09 June, 2014, 10:43:05 am »
At least 2 x handcrankers (either 2 pairs or the same pair twice) seen going the other way during Sunday's Herts High Five 200. They may have been doing a sportive.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16 on: 09 June, 2014, 12:58:50 pm »
Whilst on the way to the sun morning club ride (on the speedmachine), saw a handcycle coming t'other way near thames ditton/esher (mebbe the same one another member spotted earlier).

On the Wiggle bournemouth sportive a few weekends ago a young guy came across for a chat - turned out he'd had a Trice and a Nocom (!) but no longer had the space so had sold 'em..he mentioned the bhpc but iirc I don't think he'd raced with them as such..

« Reply #17 on: 09 June, 2014, 04:59:20 pm »
On one of the hills in the end section of the FlitchBikes 200k, Saturday, I and the tandem whose wheel I was sucking encountered a recumbent with a hard shell, possibly similar to that shown by Auntie Helen. I haven't seen too many of those, usually I see a plastic type cover when I do see an enclosed one.

Obviously him doing his missile thing on the down hill as we climbed a very narrow lane, gave us a bit of a start, but there was enough room for all  :)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #18 on: 14 June, 2014, 01:27:17 am »
....all parked up  ...

Some of 'em didnt look too bad either!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19 on: 14 June, 2014, 09:32:41 pm »
This evening (18:45?) I saw a chap on a recumbent trike with his dog running alongside - as he cycled down Piccadilly past the Ritz.  :o 

Anyone we know?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »
I saw a very - very low hand cranked trike in the centre of Crawley on the weekend - although it might have been yesterday.  An impressive looking machine - white two wheels at the back and I think front wheel drive.  I wasn't able to stop and gawp because I was driving a bus in the opposite direction.  About 45 minutes earlier I saw a LWB bicycle parked near Morrisons with a child trailer attached, although I've seen that one round and about Crawley a few times.

« Reply #21 on: 09 August, 2014, 09:08:36 pm »
Two bent trikes on top of one car in Southwater the other evening.  I saw them twice - once each time the bus passed.  Then I went home.

« Reply #22 on: 13 September, 2014, 09:26:15 am »
Thursday evening as I rode home from work a red SWB highish recumbent, looked a bit like a street machine but OSS. On the back road cycle cut through of Winnersh a little after 18:00.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 13 September, 2014, 12:30:57 pm »
I've seen quite a few velomobiles recently...

Guessing which one's yours is a bit easy...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2014, 09:38:00 pm »
No point in being incognito when you're in a purple "Rakete" or "U-Boot" or "Zigarre" or "Formel Eins Fahrrad".