Author Topic: LED room lighting (again)  (Read 71307 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: LED room lighting (again)
« Reply #375 on: 13 October, 2022, 04:35:06 pm »
Having posted about frequent failure of the R63s in my kitchen, I saw these were on Special Offer at Sainsbury's last week, so stocked up.

It's now a year since I replaced a kitchen lamp and my 'bargains' might never be used...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #376 on: 03 April, 2023, 02:06:25 am »
North lamp in my kitchen has failed after 3 years.
That's about 6500 hours at 6 hours per day every day.
East has not been replaced since I started keeping records in 2017.
South has been replaced 5 times.
West has been replaced 3 times.

« Reply #377 on: 03 April, 2023, 10:19:40 am »
E decided that a small chandelier in the window of our local antiquarian book-seller would be perfect for the vestibule.  It's metal-framed with chain and metal ceiling rose. 

On removing the old fitting I found we have 2-core lighting wiring, so metal fittings not allowed.  My solution was to use an LED driver to convert to 12v and source a suitable LED bulb (found one under bus & caravan fittings).

Separately, I have been replacing the 12v halogen downlighters in the dining room with LEDs, until I fried the transformer.  So a replacement driver bought, which is when I discovered that a 25w driver won't cope with 20 watts of LEDs (at least the make I bought), so I had to daisychain another one.  Everything works now. 

The hall is also 12v downlighters, so that's going to need attention at some point as I replace the current lamps.  Only trouble is the hallway is about 25ft long and I've no idea where the transformer is (somewhere under the landing floor).

« Reply #378 on: 03 April, 2023, 10:41:24 am »
E decided that a small chandelier in the window of our local antiquarian book-seller would be perfect for the vestibule.  It's metal-framed with chain and metal ceiling rose. 

On removing the old fitting I found we have 2-core lighting wiring, so metal fittings not allowed.  My solution was to use an LED driver to convert to 12v and source a suitable LED bulb (found one under bus & caravan fittings).

Separately, I have been replacing the 12v halogen downlighters in the dining room with LEDs, until I fried the transformer.  So a replacement driver bought, which is when I discovered that a 25w driver won't cope with 20 watts of LEDs (at least the make I bought), so I had to daisychain another one.  Everything works now. 

The hall is also 12v downlighters, so that's going to need attention at some point as I replace the current lamps.  Only trouble is the hallway is about 25ft long and I've no idea where the transformer is (somewhere under the landing floor).
I suspect you'll get issues with voltage drop.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #379 on: 03 April, 2023, 12:11:54 pm »

More than with the current 12v halogen lamps?

« Reply #380 on: 03 April, 2023, 12:27:00 pm »

Under-volted halogen will just be a bit dim.

Under volted leds might not work.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #381 on: 03 April, 2023, 01:56:38 pm »

Oh well.  Here's hoping I don't have to take too much floorboarding (and carpet) up.

« Reply #382 on: 03 April, 2023, 10:54:20 pm »

Oh well.  Here's hoping I don't have to take too much floorboarding (and carpet) up.

Probably easier to take out the ceiling from below;)

Or is that for shower traps…