Author Topic: LED room lighting (again)  (Read 70968 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: LED room lighting (again)
« Reply #325 on: 19 November, 2020, 08:50:00 pm »
Note for next time: Turn one of the Sansis on and see if they're stable.

Voltage dropped (though to about 220V, not actually below spec) again this evening.  No flicker that barakta could perceive on the 18W or 22W Sansi, and we couldn't pick anything up on the flicker-o-meter either.  With careful use of attenuation I was eventually able to detect the switching ripple of the 22W one using my somewhat less bandwidth-impaired oscilloscope (which happens to be in the same room), at about 67kHz.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #326 on: 22 November, 2020, 10:04:55 pm »
Been looking out for an option to replace 60W incandescent candle bulb, finally took a punt on these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0822B5B3G and very impressed. Not quite the quality of the Sansi but build quality appears ok, the light quality appears excellent, along with the luminescence (>60W candle, more like 75-80)

I've not yet found a similar dimmable, the one from the same manufacturer is a bit pricey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JR3SQF4/

« Reply #327 on: 10 December, 2020, 07:11:56 pm »
I have bought eight Aurora EN-PLPC18/40 downlighters for a hobbies room - These are sold as non-dimmable but product docs mention a dimmable driver that I cannot find. Supplied driver is marked 48-60 Volts and inside is a regulated DC supply with output of 58 Volts on load (300 mA). Connecting a bench supply light goes from dim, no flicker at 48 Volts to full brightness at 58 Volts. Would be convenient to feed all eight lights from one 3 Amp 48-60 Volt variable DC PSU  - and yes, I know how to, just is there a ready-made solution?

« Reply #328 on: 10 December, 2020, 07:35:53 pm »
Just found the answer to my own question  48-60 Volts DC seems to be a standard for 18 Watt downlights. Eight seperate drivers will though cost as much as the lights :-(
https://cpc.farnell.com/v-tac/18w-8075/dimmable-driver-for-led-panel/dp/LA08364

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #329 on: 14 December, 2020, 06:07:01 pm »
Sainsbury's have actually supplied the R63s they have intermittently listed but not delivered for the last three months...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #330 on: 04 January, 2021, 05:39:16 pm »
So what are people recommending for bulbs these days? Nothing weird required, just candle bulb type with SES fitting for desk/table lamp porpoises..
I hve previously bought Phillips a long time ago which were expensive and didn't last long. Currently I have Lumilife which don't last very long (or go a bit weedy as if battery power is getting low!).
Do I just need to suck up the type of cost of the Sansi ones for something decent?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #331 on: 04 January, 2021, 10:29:24 pm »
Unfortunately Sansi don't make anything in the smaller sizes (SES, GU10 sort of thing).  I suspect it's not easy to fit a proper power supply circuit and a sufficiency of heat-sinking in the space available.

« Reply #332 on: 04 January, 2021, 10:43:45 pm »
I hve previously bought Phillips a long time ago which were expensive and didn't last long. Currently I have Lumilife which don't last very long (or go a bit weedy as if battery power is getting low!).

LEDs go dim when they overheat. I suspect your fitting is what's killing your bulbs.

« Reply #333 on: 04 January, 2021, 10:55:11 pm »
LAP led  lamps from Screwfix seem OK, Dial from B and Q, (Probably the same thing) and Energizer. No issues as far as I know. Avoid Eveready due to short life and failure to work in some touch operated fittings. Phillips are usually very reliable ime.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #334 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:06:18 pm »
Unfortunately Sansi don't make anything in the smaller sizes (SES, GU10 sort of thing).  I suspect it's not easy to fit a proper power supply circuit and a sufficiency of heat-sinking in the space available.
According to Amazon they do...  https://www.amazon.co.uk/SANSI-E14-Led-Candle-Bulbs/dp/B07T483YCT

« Reply #335 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:53:12 pm »
I've been quite happy with these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0822B5B3G for quality of light and brightness

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #336 on: 05 January, 2021, 05:48:08 pm »
According to Amazon they do...  https://www.amazon.co.uk/SANSI-E14-Led-Candle-Bulbs/dp/B07T483YCT

I hadn't noticed those before.

Out of stock, thobut, and not listed on https://eu.sansiled.com/led-light-bulb.html

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #337 on: 05 January, 2021, 06:33:02 pm »
I've been quite happy with these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0822B5B3G for quality of light and brightness

Also not in stock..

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #338 on: 05 January, 2021, 06:58:54 pm »
Based on a look at my brother's Which subscription I'm going to give Integral a try, but not from Amazon where they're 3 times the price.

« Reply #339 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:18:48 pm »

I hadn't noticed those before.

Out of stock, thobut, and not listed on https://eu.sansiled.com/led-light-bulb.html

Whistles innocently.  :-[  ;D

They only had 1 x 3

ian

« Reply #340 on: 05 January, 2021, 09:18:21 pm »
I just buy the generic bulbs from whatever online LED bulb supplier pops up. I can't remember which since I think, in the last five years, precisely one of the LED constellation has popped its little electrical clogs*. Minus those in the bathroom, which was fitted by the sparky and they all went flickerywonk. That's when we discovered that they were (or the fittings) glued into the ceiling and changing them required grown-ups who weren't me to get them out, refit them, and re-paint the bloody ceiling.

*and where do LED bulbs go after they die. It might be Heaven. It might be Hell. It doesn't seem our local council wants to express an opinion on their fate, so I put it outside in the bag as an electrical item. I swear half the time they fling them in the back of the lorry anyway.

« Reply #341 on: 05 January, 2021, 10:01:29 pm »
"interestingly" (and some would say, obviously), not all lumens are the same.

Our upstairs bathroom has languished in GU10 halogen-y-ness as it needed the conjunction of (a) LED dimmer (b) decent dimmable LED to happen in reasonable historical proximity. The recent dimmer change (forced, at an odd time) was to a bit of a dodgy unit which was a turn-to-off rather than push-to-off. The replacement I'd bought from Screwfix, supposedly suited to both LED and halogen turned out to be negatively optimal for halogen. Scrabbling around in my stash, I found the 4 x Phillips Master that I'd bought to replace the halogens and forgotten about. Switched over, and all is not only well, but VERY bright, despite them being listed as "only" 4.9W/365 lumen - they outperform others supposedly 550 Lumen by a comfortable margin, and the higher CRI is evident.

This could get expensive. The Master ExpertColour is higher still CRI (97), and they are 100% glass cased - none of my GU10 fittings are fire rated.

ian

« Reply #342 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:30:09 am »
I think the general logic is to buy more than you need, you will never ever find the same bulb again, or anything with the same brightness or colour, no matter what it says on the label.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #343 on: 06 January, 2021, 12:49:30 pm »
One thing I have noticed is that many of my older bulbs, although being the right equivalent number of Watts, are distinctly lower in the Lumens department than those I've found online this week.

« Reply #344 on: 06 January, 2021, 01:05:29 pm »
Plz to be seeing my post up there ^^- the Phillips I just put in have "2017" on the box, so not current generation. I wouldn't trust any of the wattage equivalences, and few of the lumen outputs quoted.

« Reply #345 on: 08 January, 2021, 07:09:39 pm »

Well. here's a turn up for the books. They don't fit. Or, to be exact, the E14 thread is fractionally too short for my holders - to be more exact, for 2 out of 3 of the holders. Quality is as expected, the luminaire surface is horizontal, which would have been exactly what I wanted. So, they are going back. Happy to sell them on to anyone, that would have to be associated with a money back return through to Amazon if it didn't work.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #346 on: 08 January, 2021, 08:11:10 pm »
That's one reason for not buying brand XYZZY type stuff from Amazon....

« Reply #347 on: 08 January, 2021, 09:08:04 pm »
The build quality of the Sansi is there, though.....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #348 on: 16 February, 2021, 09:01:22 pm »
Just checked the council's website again and it turns out they don't take light bulbs in the recycling. I thought they counted as WEE, which – at least officially – will be collected. But no, light bulbs are in the list of things that have to be put in the wheelie bin. Mind you it does literally say 'light bulbs' which kind of implies they haven't grasped the LED era...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #349 on: 16 February, 2021, 09:42:46 pm »
Tungsten filament bulbs are supposed to go in the landfill wheelie bin here but LEDs are considered WEEE and bloody awkward.