Author Topic: Speedfit caps on CH pipes  (Read 729 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Speedfit caps on CH pipes
« on: 20 September, 2023, 08:59:05 am »
In the bathroom, while I wait for the radiator to be ready to connect, the rad pipes appear to have 'John Guest Speedfit' caps on them.
Does the panel think these will be ok in the short term for me to turn the central heating on? It's freezing and I don't know exactly how long it's going to be before that rad gets connected up. (I'd ask the joiner but he's on holiday).
I don't want to create an unexpected water feature in my new bathroom  :-X
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Speedfit caps on CH pipes
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2023, 09:06:30 am »
Yes.

« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2023, 09:14:19 am »
yes - try pushing them down hard to ensure they are properly seated. (obviously hold the pipe while doing this, you dont' want to push on other joints)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2023, 10:03:32 am »
hooray, this is what I wanted to hear :)

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2023, 01:56:45 pm »
If they are on copper pipes, they are fine.

If they are on plastic pipes, they are OK as long as the inserts have been fitted. Unfortunately, the inserts can't be seen with the caps in place.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2023, 07:57:36 pm »
'turning the heating on' If the heating system has been pressurised since the caps were fitted then turning the boiler on will have no effect especially as you must have two dead end 'T' sections they won't even warm up  - the biggest risk (maybe) is Legionella..!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2023, 04:37:24 pm »
I turned the heating on on Friday night. On Saturday night it was my turn to cook and when the heating came on there was this loud sound of running water which made me shit myself, but after running through to the capped pipes and finding no water feature I eventually realised it was the kitchen radiator grumbling about not being full of water. It was definitely more of a running water sound than the usual gurgling though!