Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 425422 times)

Davef

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2150 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:56:24 am »

Morning run. 12km with flyby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2151 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:14:46 pm »
Went out this eve for another 6km to push April's total over the 60km mark. Slightly torn as due to my morning runs and today's later run have hardly cycled during lock down and realising if I'm going to push on with the running whole still finding time to do allotment and taking kids out on weekends it's not gonna leave much space for cycling if only doing one exercise a day

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2152 on: 01 May, 2020, 07:25:31 pm »
10k run with 6 × 2min vo2max (3:40) intervals; escaped the rain!

« Reply #2153 on: 02 May, 2020, 12:29:00 pm »
Due to the lack of commuting and accompanying MrsC on her permitted exercise walks, I have now run further this year than I have cycled.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2154 on: 02 May, 2020, 12:38:13 pm »
Due to the lack of commuting and accompanying MrsC on her permitted exercise walks, I have now run further this year than I have cycled.

I don't keep records, but I'm sure I have too (which isn't saying much - I've only ridden a bike a handful of times!).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2155 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:15:52 am »
did my 5k "race" today, started off ambitiously at 3:50, then couldn't hold the pace after 2k. ideal weather (cool and still), not a single person on the pavement. overall time 19:35 and one cheeky kom.

« Reply #2156 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:10:30 am »
6 weeks later and my left hamstring is still playing up.  I borked it doing some silly interval sprinting  ::-)  Pulled up immediately with a pain to the back upper thigh from the hip down to the knee.  Never had hamstring trouble before but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Looked online and because I could walk without limping it sounded like a grade 1 tear (2-3 weeks recovery).  I laid off running for a couple of weeks and since then have been tentatively doing test runs once a week.

There isn't much pain during the run or immediately after, but the next day I get a dull pain - it's moved higher up so almost feels like it's in the rear hip.  Anyone else had similar?

I'm still cycling and am near the end of a TrainerRoad plan so quite hard going.  Cycling doesn't seem to be a problem but I'm wondering if this might be slowing recovery?
The sound of one pannier flapping

Davef

« Reply #2157 on: 03 May, 2020, 05:42:32 pm »
Never listen to medical advice on the internet .... but I injured my pisiformis muscle (did not know I had one either) in a bike tumble. For quite a while (months) when I ran I got pain down the back of my leg to the knee even though the injury was much higher up. Something to do with sciatic nerve. Having googled I see it can be caused by running as well as falling off bikes.

« Reply #2158 on: 03 May, 2020, 06:58:17 pm »
did my 5k "race" today, started off ambitiously at 3:50, then couldn't hold the pace after 2k. ideal weather (cool and still), not a single person on the pavement. overall time 19:35 and one cheeky kom.

Go out fast and fade;) actually, you held in pretty well for a time trial I reckon. Wish I could crack 20 at the moment.

I’ve just lost a week of running to work - stupid when I’m at home all day, but that’s how it is. The very low level of safety net does create some pressure in these times.

Any, got out and managed 9.5 miles this afternoon, off road and that lovely damp late spring early summer feeling. Realised I first ran the route in the autumn of 1988!

« Reply #2159 on: 04 May, 2020, 07:49:57 am »
Screaming fast times there, zigzag.

Think I might have to give up running. Taking my dodgy hip 2-3 days to recover from a run.

Shame as it is such convenient exercise. Can do it in all weathers, quick to get ready and go.

Might try a bike ride tonight. Lanes around here are few and very boring.

My legs are definitely weaker; I went for a paddle yesterday, following Maff principles (80% at 80% of race pace, 20% at 105% race pace). Legs were the part of my body that fell apart. They were trembling with exhaustion by the time I'd finished.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2160 on: 04 May, 2020, 08:52:26 am »
MrC - are you running on-road or off-road? I know quite a few people who can't run on-road because the harshness of the impact is painful on joints, but who are completely proficient on off-road trails. Some trails might have weird camber, which might not be good with a dodgy hip, but if you could find some not too technical but softer off road stuff you might find that less painful?

« Reply #2161 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:22:59 am »
MrC - are you running on-road or off-road? I know quite a few people who can't run on-road because the harshness of the impact is painful on joints, but who are completely proficient on off-road trails. Some trails might have weird camber, which might not be good with a dodgy hip, but if you could find some not too technical but softer off road stuff you might find that less painful?
I was running mostly off-road, but the hummocky ground is worse for my hip (and a damaged ankle). It's all pancake flat round here.

Did 10km on friday, reduced my pace a bit (normally I run about 6km, 4km of that off-road). Even my reduced pace resulted in fastest 10km since I started using Strava ('fast' being a relative term; this would be walking for zigzag).

Using Hoka shoes, so plenty of cushioning.

Used to be able to run half-marathons without hip pain (but that was nearly 20 years ago).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2162 on: 04 May, 2020, 11:00:46 am »
C25K W2D1 done.

Didn't seem much harder than W1 so that's good. Glad I went earlier before it gets too warm.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2163 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:28:26 pm »
I was running mostly off-road, but the hummocky ground is worse for my hip (and a damaged ankle). It's all pancake flat round here.

Did 10km on friday, reduced my pace a bit (normally I run about 6km, 4km of that off-road). Even my reduced pace resulted in fastest 10km since I started using Strava ('fast' being a relative term; this would be walking for zigzag).

Using Hoka shoes, so plenty of cushioning.

Used to be able to run half-marathons without hip pain (but that was nearly 20 years ago).

Couple of thoughts to, hopefully, encourage you

- running adaptation takes time and you might be well served by doing a bit less for a while and sticking with it. Of course, only you know what the impact on your hip is. After my knee op, where I was actually in pretty good shape for age(!) the surgeon view was that I'd be fine if I made sure I kept my muscles strong - quads for me - but building the support is a slow business.

- I've commented about Hoka above and I am getting used to them. However, I still prefer the much flatter ones. Cushioning is a mixed blessing that we adapt to within moments, stiffening or softening our legs to respond. Footfall and gait may be better in lower or less cushioned shoes, although again building up to use these takes time.

Hope you're able to hang in and find a way to stick with it, even as an adjuct to kayaking or cycling it's a good way to see the world.

« Reply #2164 on: 04 May, 2020, 12:42:19 pm »
It is a good way to see the world. Mixed terrain, not restricted by roads.

I've been running about twice a week since lockdown started. I don't think this is lack of adaption, just legacy from childhood bone disease (perthes).

Doing some exercises to strengthen my flexors, since these wear out when paddling. Maybe that will help.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2165 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:13:29 pm »
I did about 10km on Sunday (9 and a bit followed by C25k early stages with Miss Dan the Elder). That was my first run for a few weeks, coupled with much less walking on lockdown and not walking the hills, I'm feeling it today.

I hope you're on the mend Feanor and finding something that works mrcharly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #2166 on: 06 May, 2020, 08:48:35 am »
Cv16 this morning. I'd be lieing if I said I was up for it. 7 weavung km as basically wanted to go home so kept looping out from near home.

Posted in GPS to see if I can rectify but Strava seemed to have a moment as to my shock I'd averaged sub 5 minute per k splits despite feeling really slow.

When I looked at the splits one is sub 4 minute which frankly isn't right but annoyingly has buggered all my achievements

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2167 on: 06 May, 2020, 11:38:54 pm »
9k run yesterday with four 20s sprints at the end; 12k run today with eight reps up the greenwich park hill (ooh my calves!). gentle 8k run tomorrow.

« Reply #2168 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:20:55 am »
Tried a gentle 10km on Friday. Middle of the afternoon, heat was relentless. Really didn't cope with it, had to walk to cool off several times.

Buggered up my dicky ankle in the process. Two days on and I'm limping like I've had a fracture or major sprain (I haven't, just strained a damaged joint).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2169 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:05:22 pm »
look after yourselves chaps, take it easy if you need to.

good to see structured training is giving results: did my control loop of 4.3km at 3:53 pace, without initial intention to push hard. the first km seemed fairly easy, so decided to maintain the pace. the third km always feels harder, but managed to push through and it became easier again once the end was in sight. crazy wind from random directions.

vo2 intervals tomorrow - 6 x 2.5min at 3:30-3:40

« Reply #2170 on: 11 May, 2020, 04:08:09 pm »
9km run today, enjoyed it despite it including the horrible (but lovely) section behind Putney Vale Cemetery. Still almost 2 minutes slower on that 1.68km segment than my PR but no great surprise at 15kg heavier.

HRavg 5bpm lower than normal on a run although it was noticeably cooler than the last few weeks.

Back to my usual 10k route from next week (which is mostly the same route but with a different ending). First goal is to finish it once, then get it down under an hour (not bad given there's ~100m of climbing over that 10k) and it's actually ~10.7km. Ideally I'll get to sub 50m for it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2171 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:56:41 pm »
Friday took advantage of the day off and went for a slightly longer run on what my mate who knows about running says is a good fast route. He wasn't wrong. My longest run since resuming running at just shy of 8km and 4.44 km splits.

Then pulled back up allotment Saturday so couldn't run Monday. Feeling better today and hopefully will be tomorrow as want to do at least 70km in May

« Reply #2172 on: 12 May, 2020, 06:44:38 pm »
I took advantage of the relaxation of the once per day rule (law in Wales) to get 2 runs in today. Pre-breakfast was hill reps for 7.5km - warm up hill is 1.2km (90m gain), then 5 x 500m (45m gain) with the recovery being the run back down (so 5 x 500m), then 1.2km downhill home.

This evening was 9km rolling off road with my dog. It was a really nice run; I was even properly running downhill. I'd forgotten that I actually run better in the evening. The only disadvantage is that there's a lot of people pottering about, and some of the paths require one person to step off the path completely to pass.

Davef

Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2173 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:39:29 pm »
This evening was 9km rolling off road with my dog..
I am all for a bit of rolling with my dog, but 9km must have got you really dizzy.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2174 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:57:41 pm »
had to cut my interval session after the first interval today as i could feel some unusual pain at the inner back part of my left knee and did not want to take risks; finished with a gentle jog. i hope it goes away soon.