Author Topic: Highland Fling 1000 from Darlington, - now Friday 29/04/2022  (Read 40178 times)

Phil W

Re: Highland Fling 1000 from Darlington, Thursday 07/05/2020
« Reply #75 on: 11 February, 2020, 09:56:19 pm »
How many riders is that then?

100 plus volunteers. The calendar page does tell you this, Phil.

Ah hidden in facilities, hadn’t spotted that.

bairn again

« Reply #76 on: 11 February, 2020, 09:56:56 pm »
Oh, and if anyone is audax-curious, I'm still after a few helpers at the finish in Darlo, at Castle Douglas on the Thursday night, and at Shilbottle on the Saturday night.
Deano - there is a possibility that I might not be able to ride due to a Real Life commitment on Saturday 9th - if so I could help out at CD on the Thursday.  I wont know for sure until nearer the time unfortunately.   

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #77 on: 11 February, 2020, 11:56:53 pm »
How many riders is that then?

Enough for Comrie to live up to its sub-title?

"The Spiritual Home of Scottish Audaxing"?
Erm well I was thinking of the more common one "the shaky town" but, aye.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #78 on: 12 February, 2020, 01:33:48 am »
I've read the Tyne cycle tunnel is daytime use only (6am - 8pm) although ambiguously it does also say it's open to shift workers as well?

I also notice that the access is using the vertical lifts which are large enough for 2 people and 2 bikes, but I can't find any information on their physical dimensions, does anybody know?

Finally can anybody recommend an alternative cycle friendly crossing?

The Tyne cycling/pedestrian tunnel is open, certainly during the day.

Not sure about overnight, but as you say the tunnel traditionally served factory and shift workers so it probably remains open.

I was there a few weeks ago and access is either the stairs - one of my party shouldered his upright bike and walked down, or the lift.

The lift is small, we got two bikes in, opposed, but there was very little spare space lengthwise.

My mountain bike needed to be at a slight angle.

Not sure if a velomobile would fit, you might have to lift the nose - if that's possible.

The Shields Ferry is open again.

That runs during the day into the early evening, later on Thursday to Saturday.

A velomobile ought to roll on OK, although it might ground on the ramp.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/ferry/timetable

« Reply #79 on: 12 February, 2020, 07:21:35 am »
Thanks for the info.

I don't think the lift will be doable, the velomobile is 2.7m long just getting it in through the doors at an angle would be hassle, also getting there and finding it won't fit would be a royal PITA.

Ferry does look better option, I can always get out and manhandle over ramps or approach at an angle, I've done both methods previously.

Being honest with myself I don't think I'll be in any form of fitness suitable for riding such a long distance in 11 weeks, which is my fault as I had a lay off from cycling between Oct and early Jan.

« Reply #80 on: 12 February, 2020, 09:33:43 pm »
Oh, and if anyone is audax-curious, I'm still after a few helpers at the finish in Darlo, at Castle Douglas on the Thursday night, and at Shilbottle on the Saturday night.
Deano - there is a possibility that I might not be able to ride due to a Real Life commitment on Saturday 9th - if so I could help out at CD on the Thursday.  I wont know for sure until nearer the time unfortunately.

Cheers G, but here's hoping you'll be riding!

« Reply #81 on: 13 February, 2020, 01:21:04 am »

I do still have to check the instructions for Cramlington-Washington (be still my beating heart), but nae rush, I don't expect that to change, barring the appearance of a magical cyclepath from the south end of the tunnel to Fatfield Bridge.

Have you considered the Monckton Cycleway?

Easy access from the south end of the tunnel.

Some of the A frame restrictions have been removed, probably to improve wheelchair access, so reasonably swift progress can be made.

Restrictions aside, it's all tarmac or well made gravel track.

You would pop out just by Heworth golf club, then make a left (south) turn onto the A195 to cross the graded junction with the A194(M) at Follingsby.

Continuing on the A195 takes you, via a series of roundabouts, to Fatfield.

I suppose some may see it as less than ideal cycling, but it is mostly wide single carriageway, and is fairly flat, so you could bowl along at a good pace.

Nowt wrong with your proposed route, although it is narrower and may involve mixing it with car transporters and other HGVs going to and from Nissan.

« Reply #82 on: 13 February, 2020, 02:03:45 pm »
Thanks, PR - I might give it a look. That's the Bowes Railway Path, right? Someone (probably Dale) put me off that, but it would save crossing and re-crossing the A19.

« Reply #83 on: 13 February, 2020, 03:14:11 pm »
Thanks, PR - I might give it a look. That's the Bowes Railway Path, right? Someone (probably Dale) put me off that, but it would save crossing and re-crossing the A19.

The Bowes railway path in that area is very badly eroded. Two thirds the width of the track is an axle deep washout gully and the remaing thin strip of tarmac is overhung by brambles and the like. It's an interseting and challenging ride if you have the track to yourself. If you were to meet someone coming the other way it could be carnage.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #84 on: 13 February, 2020, 03:59:43 pm »
That would be the route IroIroMono and I took on the dinner dart
https://ridewithgps.com/trips/42005637

It was ok but not great, better than what followed right enough...

« Reply #85 on: 13 February, 2020, 06:24:38 pm »

It becomes the Bowes railway path which, as said elsewhere, is a bit iffy in places.

But you will have turned off it before then.

The stretch you will be using - from the tunnel to the A195 junction, is all well made, either tarmac or gravel.

Mind, it looks like I can't spell Monkton.

Going back to the name, this map calls it the Bowes Railway Path for the whole length from the tunnel.

My group has always called the first stretch the Monkton Cycleway, not least because there are a couple of blue Sustrans signs which say that.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5480189#map=15/54.9462/-1.5258

« Reply #86 on: 15 February, 2020, 03:43:34 pm »
Train tickets from London to Darlington for the 7th are now available.
I've booked a 10am outbound. Hopefully I can get a bike on this train and make it in time for the start.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #87 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:17:03 pm »
I've booked a 10am outbound. Hopefully I can get a bike on this train and make it in time for the start.

Thanks but looks like they haven't been released for journey back yet on the Sunday. Looks like usual hassle of finding cheapest prices and booking bike on. Trying to avoid having to drive up...

Phil W

« Reply #88 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:23:20 pm »

Thanks but looks like they haven't been released for journey back yet on the Sunday. Looks like usual hassle of finding cheapest prices and booking bike on. Trying to avoid having to drive up...

Since the cheap advance fares are generally singles you may as well get your outbound then get the return when they come out. Cheap advance returns seem to have disappeared from what I can see.

« Reply #89 on: 15 February, 2020, 07:08:49 pm »
Yeah, I just wanted to lock in the outbound. I'm assuming they're more sought after than a Sunday night return to London but I'll worry about the return when I need to return :)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #90 on: 15 February, 2020, 11:42:06 pm »
Had a bit of a faff last night
Scotrail do web bike bookings but they don't seem to have the LNER Advance tickets listed.
LNER don't do on line web bike bookings
TPE do web bike bookings AND had the LNER advanced fares listed, but their website is s--te... But I got nectar points so all's good...

« Reply #91 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:55:43 pm »
Leaving London costs £26. Returning is going to cost £140 FFS. UK trains >>>

« Reply #92 on: 16 February, 2020, 03:08:07 pm »
There are still some cheapos from Eaglescliffe on the Sunday.  Grand Central trains are pretty bike-friendly too

It's about a fiver to Eaglescliffe from Darlo.

« Reply #93 on: 16 February, 2020, 03:34:45 pm »
I found a £50-ish ticket later on Sunday. Booked that and trying to get bike booked on.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #94 on: 16 February, 2020, 06:54:18 pm »
Leaving London costs £26. Returning is going to cost £140 FFS. UK trains >>>
I do feel sorry for you Londoners. Of course £26 is a lot of money (after you've paid for all those cappucinos and beard-trims). I am therefore happy to pay almost 3 times this to travel 15 miles less to Darlington (from Oxon); it's only fair that us rural rich subsidise our cycling Town Mouse cousins. You can thank me at Darlo, a simple handshake or tug of the forelock will suffice.

(on the plus-side, I got 5 different tickets for the one journey - that's great value for money! I only got the one bike reservation though - getting 5 different ones seemed greedy, it is the same train, after all).

Staying in York Wed night (after much dithering over train ticket prices for various options, etc etc ... ). One of the hostels is quite likely.

Not sure about Sun night; a ride like this, any assumptions about finish time are pretty rash for this rider!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #95 on: 16 February, 2020, 06:54:39 pm »
REmember that for some bizzare reason the full price tickets are often released a week before the Advanced tickets

I only got the notification from LNER about the advanced tickets for the trip south on Friday and not expecting the one for the Sunday night trains north until next friday

The LNER website says "Tickets are available for travel up to and including: Friday 08 May 2020"

But I can get full price ticket and time listings up to the 10th from Scotrails website.

If I look on TPE I get XC Advance tickets (which come out earlier) and this warning on 96 quid LNER Anytime Single fares
"The LNER timetable on this date has not been finalised yet.
If you buy a ticket now, you will NOT have a seat reservation and may pay more than you need to. LNER timetable, seat reservations and Advance tickets are not yet available."
which also means no bike bookings or cheap fares yet...

« Reply #96 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:16:35 pm »
I do feel sorry for you Londoners. Of course £26 is a lot of money (after you've paid for all those cappucinos and beard-trims). I am therefore happy to pay almost 3 times this to travel 15 miles less to Darlington (from Oxon); it's only fair that us rural rich subsidise our cycling Town Mouse cousins. You can thank me at Darlo, a simple handshake or tug of the forelock will suffice.

Why do you think I'm so scruffy looking? Can't afford haircutting of any sort living in London and paying £1200 a week for a dog kennel with en-suite bucket to the land(ed gentry)lords living the high life in their country mansions.

Also, that's the cheapest ticket outbound and to get back it's more (guess that's the price to maintain the M25 border controls). My point is that trains in this country are stupidly expensive and it's no wonder every bugger drives everywhere.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #97 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:40:51 pm »
Why do you think I'm so scruffy looking? Can't afford haircutting of any sort living in London and paying £1200 a week for a dog kennel with en-suite bucket to the land(ed gentry)lords living the high life in their country mansions.
You've got an en-suite?? Crikey, we need to put your rents up! I'll have a word with Spoffy at the club tomorrow ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #98 on: 27 February, 2020, 10:27:09 pm »
I was out the weekend doing the (hopefully) final routechecks. For anyone keeping track, the only change has been to dodge Dunfermline to the west - it's a better route, and avoids Knockhill circuit, which has events on that weekend.

I think I used up all the wind, so you ought to be alright on the day.

« Reply #99 on: 09 March, 2020, 10:29:18 am »
Question for @Deano which I should know the answer to, but don't.

With the Final route now showing 1020km, does this mean the info on the event page is incorrect?

"Time:13:00   to finish by + 16:00"

@CorbieLinnRider