Author Topic: LEL 2021  (Read 7995 times)

Graeme

• @FatherHilarious
    • Marsden and Slaithwaite Churches
Re: LEL 2021
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2021, 10:57:44 pm »
3am feasts.  Brings back memories.  Sitting on the concrete slab of a disused petrol station south of Horncastle on the way to York for the AUK reunion and knowing that the shortbread fingers in my rackpack were, indeed, the most beautiful thing in the known world.
Fabulous. Right now I'm thinking of the absolutely wonderful sandwich on the north coast of Norfolk just before the Co-op closed, and the instruction to turn left on to a main road. Which I did. The next control was Barton Mills. *Almost five hours later* I rolled into the garage at Barton Mills where a lovely young lady was rather bemused by a dozen cyclists asleep on the floor. I joined them for 20 minutes. Then set off for the final control.
That ride was one of those that got me into PBP. Happy days. Right now I'd give my eye teeth to do that again.

Tadcaster service station, a 24hr jewel in the crown.
Flat earth Bob microwaving wet gloves at a service station in Thirsk.
The all night disco at Lockerbie Truck Stop...

I'm feeling bereft.
:(
37. Because travel is the finest educational system of all; and cycling the cheapest, easiest, and most educational means of travel - Kuklos' 39 Articles

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2021, 10:16:06 am »
Slightly related, for those of us who remember the tranquility of Eskdalemuir valley, the surprise of seeing a big Tibetan temple (that must be sleep deprivation, except it wasn't) and the lovely small community run control: there's plans to end that tranquility by building two shooting ranges for .50 caliber guns. From what I read without bothering to consult the locals what they think about this...

If you want to show your support against this plan you can leave your email (and a donation if you'd like) at http://chng.it/Shs9cCc9DG

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2021, 03:43:28 pm »
Flat earth Bob microwaving wet gloves at a service station in Thirsk.

I feel like I've met the same person but the nickname I have for them isn't very forum friendly

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2021, 06:02:56 pm »
I think Hot Glove Bob is pretty harmless as nicknames go.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2021, 08:04:41 pm »
So my idea is not original? Perhaps Bob did not get caught by 'the management'