Author Topic: Warning: football content.  (Read 1253 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Warning: football content.
« on: 30 November, 2008, 06:42:35 pm »
Histon 1 - 0 Leeds United

Ha bloody ha! It must be Leeds' worst result since they lost to Colchester when I was in the sixth form 37 years ago.

Histon is a small village just outside Cambridge.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

simonp

Re: Warning: football content.
« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2008, 06:45:22 pm »
The plucky team from yorkshire were no match for their more experienced rivals.  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2008, 06:49:03 pm »
No. Leeds' worst result ever was, and always will be the day they swaggered out onto the pitch for the FA Cup Final against Sunderland, thinking they just needed to hang around for about an hour and a half then stroll home with some silverware.

Wrong.

And a reminder they were just a football team.
Getting there...

Dave

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2008, 06:50:49 pm »
Amusingly, I used to work with someone who supported both Leeds and Histon.

Was from Yorkshire, but worked in Cambridge and lived in Histon. I remember him saying that it was OK 'cos the two of them would never meet in anger, so there'd be no chance of emotional conflict...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 30 November, 2008, 06:59:21 pm »
No. Leeds' worst result ever was, and always will be the day they swaggered out onto the pitch for the FA Cup Final against Sunderland, thinking they just needed to hang around for about an hour and a half then stroll home with some silverware.

Wrong.

And a reminder they were just a football team.

I remember both games well. I suppose losing an FA Cup Final is a pretty bad thing, and it's amazing that people remember this result in which a 2nd Division side beats a first but forget others. I'm pretty sure Man Utd. lost to someone relatively lowly in one final, but no. Colchester were languishing at the bottom of Div 4 and it wasn't just a one-goal wonder like most of these "upsets" are. Colchester were 3 - 0 up against a team of seasoned internationals before they woke up and scored a brace of consolation goals. This was a far worse result for Leeds than the 1973 Cup Final.

A pal of mine (Ken Hills) who was the Class Gomm (a 1970s word for socially-challenged but nonetheless highly intelligent individual) had his photograph in the Grauniad, hugging the Colchester manager, a pig-farmer by trade to judge by his appearance. Ken always denied it was he, but Colchester only had about 8 supporters so the likelihood of there being two who resembled each other was infinitesimally small.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2008, 07:01:20 pm »
Blimey! I've just noticed that Saarfend are away to Chelsea in the next round.

« Reply #6 on: 02 December, 2008, 11:34:38 pm »
And Burnley beat Arsenal tonight.

Despite having a waning interest in football, I enjoyed watching the highlights of the Histon-Leeds game on Sunday evening - an old-fashioned cup tie on a crap pitch in shite conditions.  They don't like it up 'em.