Author Topic: Dauntsey Dawdle 400 - 19th May  (Read 6353 times)

Vigna

• always climbing!
Dauntsey Dawdle 400 - 19th May
« on: 19 April, 2018, 06:09:45 pm »
We still have space on the inaugural running of the Kingston Wheelers 400, it`s a varied and at times challenging route but should be a great day out.

Sleep over facilities are available on the Friday night. Please let me know in advance if you require a space. You will need to arrive between 8 and 10pm and supply your own mattress.

Re: Dauntsey Dawdle 400 - 19th May
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2018, 10:09:59 pm »
When will this ride be closed for entry?

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2018, 07:03:42 pm »

Dauntsey Dawdle 400 - 19th May
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2018, 09:30:57 pm »
May 12th.  http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-297/

Thanks! Should read things more carefully.  :facepalm: I may have to bring a drill with me if the weather is projected to be nice by then hah!

Edit: I am out. Too many clashes that weekend.

Vigna

• always climbing!
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2018, 07:20:24 pm »
If I still have spare brevet cards I'll keep ride open for entries after 12th May, but of course it makes an organiser's life easier if you don't leave it to the last minute. No need to wait for the weather forecast.....you know it's going to be wonderful  ;)

Vigna

• always climbing!
« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2018, 11:02:20 am »
Helpers and final test ride done yesterday, all looking good no major problems found. I'll do the final tweaks to route sheet today and details will be emailed out to all entrants early in the week. They'll of course be available to download from Audax site. To date we have 65 riders entered. Few places still places available but I'll be closing ride on Tuesday.

Vigna

• always climbing!
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2018, 10:58:50 pm »
Ride information, routesheet, notes etc. has been emailed out to entrants. If you can't find it check the spam folder first, then contact me. See you all Saturday

« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2018, 10:34:53 am »
It only dawned on me how close this starts to me as I happened to pass the scout hut last night (daughter does cricket training nearby) and saw the big Audax UK banner out front.

One day I'll be back to do some longer Audaxes and I hope this one continues to run.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2018, 01:06:02 pm »
Hi Alex, our 600 starts from same place in June
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-65/

And next year, a full SR series, all BRM[PBP]  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2018, 04:15:38 pm »
Hi Alex, our 600 starts from same place in June
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-65/
Entries for your 600 have been closed for ages, but:
"Event now full. 75 rider limit due to small overnight control in Chepstow. If you are an AUK member, and you can sort your own accommodation, you can ride. Email organiser for more info."

« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:43:09 am »

Firstly thanks to Gavin and all at KW for putting on this great new addition to the calendar - we were treated to a beautiful route in glorious weather and a perfect opportunity  to avoid the other 'event' of the day.

Good to see a few familiar faces at the start and a large group of is got together for the run to the first control at Midhurst. A little sting in the tail with the steep climb before town, shades of Barhatch Lane on it's 20% max gradient. Alas, the cafe was rather underprepared for the first wave of riders so many left having placed their order and waited a while for it to materialise. 3 of us set off having waited out for our order, this next section was pretty undulating on quiet lanes so progress was slow. Overton came and went and we picked up many of the original crew including the SWRC boys Sloth and Rumps, and a very accomplished solo female rider who would eventually ride us all off her wheel. To Pewsey then, the halfway point with a large group of 8 or 9 of us. Here the cafe control was excellent, great service and very friendly.

We set off together as a group but started to splinter on the rolling terrain to Cirencester and I ended up in a group with the 3 riders from Midhurst, a young chap from Brixton Cycles on his first 400 and a seasoned campaigner from Sydenham Wheelers. We made for a good team and the miles clipped by on the flat roads to Oxford. The usual Audax devastation greeted us at the Oxford control, Peartree Services, people slumped on the charcoal briquettes and asleep on the tarmac. A joyous sight to behold. Ok, 100km to go and still warm in the late evening sunshine. A big climb up How Hill wasn't as grippy as we feared followed by a fast blast from Christmas Common via Pilshill on familiar roads to the 24hour garage in Henley. A strong rider from our group earlier in the day was ill and looked in a bad way here but the SWRC gents looked after him and got him back safely, we caught up with this group somewhere near Chertsey and pushed on together to the finish. I had good legs all day and managed to eat well (salads and fruit mainly) but once we arrived I felt a little secondhand and could'nt face the magnificent looking chicken stew. Ran the gauntlet of Putney High street at 1am and got home with 426km on the clock. I'd recored the Giro so stayed up to witness the Brit 1-2 on the Zoncalan, Chapeau!

Thanks to all I rode with but especially to Gavin for putting on this superb addition to the London Audax scene, long may it continue. Having helped at the arrivee for Liam's LWL400, and as a first-time organiser I'm beginning to understand the effort that goes into creating these wonderful events we all enjoy.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-198/

« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:59:12 am »
thanks for the helpful comments above, and for the critique of our Midhurst control, which next year will probably move to here which looks a lot better and saves the trek into and back out of Midhurst

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:06:26 pm »
Yes many thanks to Gavin and all the volunteers for a great day out!

Cracking route, I loved the design with lanes and scenery in the morning and giving way to flatter faster roads as the afternoon wore on. We had a false start, having left our water bottles at home, and then some stoker illness called for some unscheduled stops, but managed to pull through all that and have a good blast in from Cirencester right to the end.

Love having a London based SR but easy egress out to the countryside, is a great recipe. Congratulations on successful inaugural run!

« Reply #13 on: 21 May, 2018, 02:06:12 pm »
Gavin-Congratulations! Great event. Having told everyone about the feast which would await them at the end , I was relieved ( but not disappointed of course ) that you did not let me down. Oh that fruit salad, none of those tinned peaches ( lovely as they are ) for KW. The breakfast was extremely fine as well, dried fruit and nuts supplied -lots of little touches which all the riders truly appreciate.
The route also looked after us with the climbing in the first half and the fast , flatter section on the way home. The first half or more of the route was stunning.
Thanks  to your helpers -all very friendly and welcoming and with a long night ahead of them when we left.
Thanks also to the people I rode with , my clubmates, Parky , Richard and  the Sloth, Blueskies, Andy from HAC the fastest man through a control , Mr Brixton Cycles-see above, and Ian who put in a Herculean effort for the last 100kms with repeated stomach trouble but strong to the last.
Great ride.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #14 on: 21 May, 2018, 04:32:46 pm »
Sounds like one for next year!

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #15 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:38:02 pm »
What they said. ^

Also thanks to the Things for the tow into Pewsey, and Chris and Tony maybe not otp for the company from then on.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #16 on: 22 May, 2018, 09:23:17 am »
Great route! Well done Gavin & the rest of the KWAC team. The majority of the ride was pleasantly traffic free.
There is something very special about relaxing in the setting sun on a garage forecourt with an assortment of long life snacks.

As others have mentioned, very good service from the cafe in Pewsey. The proprietor said she would appreciate a bit of positive feedback on Facebook, so if you were a happy customer and user of the book make it so!

I had a few tubeless issues with the G-Ones. A puncture on the wheel which had problems sealing. A lot of latex sprayed out and if I hadn't had full mudguards I expect I would not have been popular with my riding companions. I forgot to bring any repair worms and so had to top up with air a few times (Ride 24/7 bike shop in Cirencester graciously loaned me a track pump).
Topped up with more sealant and the leak eventually stopped. Much to learn about this "new" technology!

A few photos

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #17 on: 22 May, 2018, 12:03:05 pm »
My experience is that your last line holds the answer.      Unless the hole is already big enough for a "Worm", then just adding a suitable amount of sealant should work.       And topping up monthly with fresh sealant may be needed if you do a lot of miles.

« Reply #18 on: 10 May, 2019, 01:52:51 pm »
I am down to do this next weekend if work doesn't get in the way. I have read a few reports so my questions is if I get the dozies (which i will), where is best to lay one's head down for an hour or so. Any other tips?

Sefi

Phil W

« Reply #19 on: 10 May, 2019, 05:41:02 pm »
With a 6am start you will likely find yourself in the Chilterns when you get the dozies. Personally I know there are some village hall covered verandas in the Chilterns which are suitable for a kip.  The GPX and route sheets will be sent out Sunday I think.  Suggest you look at where it passes through once it is out, and see what you can find.  There is also plenty of woods in the Chilterns where you'd be able to lay down if it's reasonably dry or you carry a bivvy bag.

« Reply #20 on: 10 May, 2019, 09:32:52 pm »
If you're really desperate, Peartree Travelodge have rooms for £129.  :o  The route passes through Oxford, Watlington, Henley and Staines. We're doing the final route check tomorrow and Sarah is planning on having the routesheet and GPX out on Sunday night.

« Reply #21 on: 13 May, 2019, 01:53:22 pm »
Just noticed that the route between Ashmansworth and Linkenholt has changed this year.  There are a couple of extra chevrons (though one can be avoided by a judicious bit of off-roading, if you have fattish tyres).

« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2019, 03:06:30 pm »
The route back from Henley was changed to be more direct so some additional distance had to be added in the middle of the ride to keep it above 400km.  You'll get some great views as you skirt the edges of the North Wessex Downs and Downton Abbey fans may be able to spot Highclere Castle as they head along the ridge from Ashmansworth to East Woodhay. 

There are loads of bus shelters between Cirencester and Lechlade but there are only 3 bus shelters between Oxford and Stadhampton and nothing after than until Henley. The garage in Henley has seating for 10 inside and has hot drinks.

Phil W

« Reply #23 on: 13 May, 2019, 05:25:03 pm »
I did have a look at Streetview around Combe Gibbet and the views are rather splendid. Do hope we get some clear weather so they can be enjoyed.  That reminds me, my rear disc brake needs a little adjustment so it bites earlier...

In other news my BB has started making the kind of clunking noises that indicate death imminent.  Have ordered a couple of replacements and paid for next day delivery.  Better it happened today and not Sat.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 13 May, 2019, 07:42:11 pm »
Downton Abbey fans may be able to spot Highclere Castle as they head along the ridge from Ashmansworth to East Woodhay. 
Does the route still go through Bampton?? :P

There are loads of bus shelters between Cirencester and Lechlade but there are only 3 bus shelters between Oxford and Stadhampton and nothing after than until Henley. The garage in Henley has seating for 10 inside and has hot drinks.

I don't know the exact road you're sending riders on to Henley [although I can guess!], but as PhilW said upthread, it's quite a good area for bivvying, even sans bus shelters; lots of shelter in the woods, and you can probably find some partial cover from a building somewhere.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles