Linked Events

• Beer Festival camp.: 15 October, 2016 - 16 October, 2016

Author Topic: Yorkshire vs Cumbria Beer Festival + Walk/Ride/Camping (13th - Sat 15th Oct.)  (Read 7305 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
This below is out of date, but still gives you an idea and info. Here is updated info - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=93787.msg2065269#msg2065269

Beer Festival Thurs 13th - Sat 15th 2016

Eh up you lot.

Just back from a spot of camping at the wonderful Masons campsite in Appletreewick - http://www.masonscampsite.co.uk/, We were testing out, if Peli's mum could sleep in the campervan and if there was room for the three of us and Tilley. We could, so more jaunts around the UK to come :)

Lo and behold the local pub a mere 0.2 miles away had a beer festival on, which was rude not to partake in for a drop or two. The beautiful Craven Arms - http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/ - also serves wonderful yummy food, if that was needed.

Every year they have "Yorkshire vs Cumbria" beer festival, about 12 ales from each, this year it was a victory for Yorkshire (again), I think the locals are a bit biased :)

This got me thinking, since it is about 9 miles away from Skiptonia, over one steep hill and via quiet country lanes. The Dales way passes at the bottom of the campsite next to the river Wharfe, so plenty of walking is possible too. The campsite got some of the best toilets/showers I have seen on a campsite, ever.

At the moment the campsite charges £7.00 for hikers and bikers. About £20 for camper/car/tent things (hit the link above for more details)

Wharfe View Cafe (brilliant food and cakes and a good pot of tea too) in Burnsall is about 1.2 miles away, Bolton Abbey, which got two cafes (one does cream teas with a view over the Abbey), is about 6 miles away (a bit longer if you are walking). So there is plenty of stuff to do around there, like Parcevall Hall Gardens (look for it on Farcebook) etc

I'm sure that Peli could come up with a ride for you all, one - crossing fingers - that I will be able to join.

Yesterday and today the weather was just stunning autumn weather cold over night but nothing that down would keep at bay. Though I sadly have no control over weather so be warned at this time of the year it could be much different by the hour. But the pub and cafes will have their log fires going :)

So, if we could rock up Friday (go for a small taster at the pub), Saturday go for a walk or a ride via the a cafe, retreat to the Pub for some tasting. Sunday head home, go for a ride, finish emptying the kegs or what ever floats your boats :)

I will keep an eye out for the dates and post them here as soon as I know. The only warning is that the campsite told me that they were rammed packed on the Fri/Sat/Sunday, so early bookings is in order.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: Yorkshire vs Cumbria Beer Festival + Walk/Ride/Camping (Oct. 2016)
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:18:58 pm »
I've ridden past the Craven Arms on quite a few occasions and never had the excuse to stop. Sounds good to me.

Mike

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2015, 11:30:20 pm »
Sojounermike: Do stop and pop in, the pub is great even to look at, on the inside too. And then there is the new barn made in the old style, it is well worth a look.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2015, 09:38:59 am »
The Craven Arms pub was one of the featured pubs on the recent Greene King IPA beer adds shown on the Telly recently.
Wharfedale is a magic place.
Wooly - what steep hill would that be? No need to go over Embsay Moor.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2015, 09:49:50 am »
The Craven Arms pub was one of the featured pubs on the recent Greene King IPA beer adds shown on the Telly recently.
Wharfedale is a magic place.
Wooly - what steep hill would that be? No need to go over Embsay Moor.

I know, I'm trying to make the ride interesting for the riders :)

You could go over what we called the gated road which is more rolling roads, via the Ice cream factory, the working farm and Bolton Abbey. Or most of the gated road then enjoy the long down hill to the big roundabout just south of Bolton Abbey but that is a busy/fast road. There is a steep short one out of Barden. Or Longer via Grassington rooling or make it a silly off road ride, right over Embsay/Barden Moor. If I can't cycle I might walk over, quite nice, we did that nearly four years ago in 4-5 feet of snow, great fun :)

« Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2015, 10:42:41 am »
That looks rather splendid.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2015, 10:47:33 am »
Another vote for the good food served at the Craven Arms.
Wharfe view is my favourite cafe.   Although it is a bit downmarket for a certain Mr Deano... :P

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2015, 04:43:09 pm »
Put me down as officially tempted!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:23:43 pm »
The one regret I have of the time we did the WoTR is that we stopped in Settle for beer and chips so had to just ride past this pub. I would say count me in but I don't do camping, unless a music festival is involved.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2015, 09:41:36 pm »
Well there is Yurts and Glamping there :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
We have dates - Thurs 13th - Sat 15th Oct 2016.

That said last year also finished on a Saturday, though even Sunday (which was the day I arrived) there was a still some left to drink.

Will update when I have planned more.

Providential idea:

Saturday : Ride to campsite, potential a further ride or walk and for the brave a dip in the river, then enjoy beer.
Sunday : Ride to brilliant cafe, stuff ourselves, ride on to Skipton via the lanes.

Beer - cycling - Yorkshire - camping - Woollypigs & Peli..........how perfect is that!

I'm coming.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Interested, if the beer isn't compulsory :)

I'm going, so it's definitely not.  :thumbsup:

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
I will  ride there for a beer and a chat.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
We have dates - Thurs 13th - Sat 15th Oct 2016.

That said last year also finished on a Saturday, though even Sunday (which was the day I arrived) there was a still some left to drink.

Will update when I have planned more.

Providential idea:

Saturday : Ride to campsite, potential a further ride or walk and for the brave a dip in the river, then enjoy beer.
Sunday : Ride to brilliant cafe, stuff ourselves, ride on to Skipton via the lanes.

There is a great cafe in Airton. Not a great distance from Appletreewick, but there is many route options to make it as easy or difficult as you would like it to be.

Sounds fantastic, and I'll definitely be there.

Another vote for the good food served at the Craven Arms.
Wharfe view is my favourite cafe.   Although it is a bit downmarket for a certain Mr Deano... :P

Only cos I expect you to take me somewhere upmarket when you're paying ;)

Dammit,  I'm previously booked.   On holibobs in Rome  :D

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Very tempted. Sunset approx 7:30pm sunrise 8:16am mmm. Not sure about >=£20 a night due to car tho' but (understand the logic). Will look at rail fares.

Rail fares are silly expensive atm.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
What a brilliant idea (if rail fares permit, as Canardly notes). Camping in October though, way up in the Frozen North at that?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Registering provisional interest

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
How far is it from Leeds? Tickets are much cheaper there than to Harrogate!

And why do Google maps have to be so crap at showing railway lines and stations.  >:(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Skipton will be the nearest railway station and Ilkley is also on option. Both are accessed via Leeds.

Leeds to Appletreewick is 35 - 40 mi!es.