Author Topic: access to BBC radio mp3 files from abroad  (Read 2508 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
access to BBC radio mp3 files from abroad
« on: 18 April, 2008, 01:43:52 pm »
apparently if you have a non uk internet connection (presumably a non uk isp) then you are told you can't download the mp3 versions of bbc radio (or so says my uncle)

is there a nice workaround available or a reason why he can't download bbc mp3 stuff to la belle France?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Re: access to BBC radio mp3 files from abroad
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:48:17 pm »
You may not be able to download BBC programs, but if you can play them via Listen Again you can record them (albeit in lesser quality, but it's quite good enough for speech programs).

You need a program that can grab the audio off the soundcard. I use Total Recorder, which works very well. There may be freeware equivalents, but I didn't begrudge the modest cost.
Profit or planet?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:51:35 pm »
The .ra files that Listen Again serves up can be downloaded directly, without having to grab the soundcard output. These can then be converted to MP3.

I use FlashGet to download and Erightsoft Super to convert.  Audacity to edit (chop off the continuity announcer, boost the level).

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2008, 02:41:23 pm »
Is there a UK proxy server you could use (I'm sure there is but I'm not enough of a geek in that area to know where it is)