Author Topic: Fasthosts. How do I stop a hosting package?  (Read 4693 times)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
Fasthosts. How do I stop a hosting package?
« on: 21 April, 2008, 10:24:08 am »
How do I terminate my hosting package for one of my domains. I want to keep the domain name, I just want to stop the hosting for the time being. It's just they automatically take your money one month in advance and I want to prevent that!!

Re: Fasthosts. How do I stop a hosting package?
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 10:30:08 am »
I've never used Fasthosts, but most hosts will generally make it a pain in the arse to cancel their services (although some are better than others) Sometimes a phone call will sort it out, or even just raising a "ticket" in their support section.

I can't remember who it was, but a few years ago I wanted to can the hosting package and they just wouldn't play ball, so I just canceled the credit card I was using and got a new one. They can't take money from a nonexistent card!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:29:38 am »
Phone em, they are really friendly and easy to get on with.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:35:25 pm »
Set the domain not to renew automatically and they won't charge you.

Then change the IPSTAG for the domain to that of your new host. With .com domains I don't think you can transfer during 2 months before renewal although that could have changed.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2008, 10:09:03 am »
Thanks. I want to keep the domain name, but stop the hosting. I am not hosting it anywhere else.

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »
You'll need to renable the charge before the expiry date to allow them to renew it. I'm not sure what happens immediately after the expiry date but with .co.uk after 3 months it's released so anybody else can register it.

With fasthosts you can "park" a domain to remove all services but you'll still need to pay for the renewal if you want to keep it.