Author Topic: Places for food along PBP route  (Read 8173 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: Places for food along PBP route
« Reply #25 on: 14 July, 2023, 03:22:21 pm »
I arrived at Carhaix at 20:00 (ahead of the bulge and slept), when I woke the control was rammed, but the breakfast servery was still quick. Brest was busy but not crazy.

I could have pushed on but was worried there would be no beds left at Brest after midnight.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #26 on: 15 July, 2023, 09:20:07 pm »
You only need your own supplies for the first 220km. After that the controls in my experience worked well for food. Unfortunately a lot of the food is beige and the third of a cup of coffee they offer you isn't great. I wish they could do a large mug of tea, that's what I craved for in the mornings.
Un flan in a boulangeries is my favourite. Two on the way out, 2 on the way back. Also had a couple of cheeky halves in a bar and a roll up a drunk offered me.
Controls also offer a chance to mingle with people and each one is different. You will feel better getting back on the bike.

Tom

« Reply #27 on: 12 August, 2023, 11:10:46 am »
Do any anciens know whether there's food available to buy at the start? Got a v really start on the Monday so would be good to know whether I can grab some breakfast scran. Apologies if this has already been covered....

« Reply #28 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:45:09 pm »
I had the first Monday start slot in 2015 and there was nothing. I would take everything with you.

« Reply #29 on: 12 August, 2023, 02:16:17 pm »
This chap has some good advice regarding food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQ2Q9n_KLQ

Tom

« Reply #30 on: 12 August, 2023, 07:45:45 pm »
I had the first Monday start slot in 2015 and there was nothing. I would take everything with you.

Thanks, noted!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #31 on: 12 August, 2023, 10:51:04 pm »
Someone on FB posted this excellent map of supermarkets, cafes, bakeries, kebab shops, bike shops, etc along the route
https://goo.gl/maps/fC18YRxS9G4nq2fX7

« Reply #32 on: 13 August, 2023, 01:11:58 pm »
Someone on FB posted this excellent map of supermarkets, cafes, bakeries, kebab shops, bike shops, etc along the route

Only shows controls and the toilets symbol when I opened it, and no way to export the data that I could see.

Tom

« Reply #33 on: 13 August, 2023, 02:14:18 pm »

Only shows controls and the toilets symbol when I opened it, and no way to export the data that I could see.

When I open it on a desktop I get the trace and the option to select tick-boxes for toilets, bike shop, supermarkets, bakeries etc - all f which appear as different icons on the trace.  Looks really useful assuming I can bookmark it on my phone.

« Reply #34 on: 13 August, 2023, 02:46:01 pm »
Was looking on iPad. Clearly not designed for anything other than a PC / Mac

« Reply #35 on: 13 August, 2023, 04:04:35 pm »
You can tap the title at the bottom and enable the other facility types.

If you’re viewing it on the web (rather than the Google Maps app) you can tap the … you can download a KML file which can easily be converted to whatever your heart desires.

(If that doesn’t work demand a refund)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #36 on: 13 August, 2023, 06:50:06 pm »

If you’re viewing it on the web (rather than the Google Maps app) you can tap the … you can download a KML file which can easily be converted to whatever your heart desires.

+1 Works fine for me on my (Android) phone and I consider it useful. If it's not helpful to others then sorry not sorry for sharing it.

« Reply #37 on: 13 August, 2023, 06:57:03 pm »

Nope tapping on title does nothing, and tapping on legend brings up null.

« Reply #38 on: 13 August, 2023, 09:57:18 pm »

Nope tapping on title does nothing, and tapping on legend brings up null.

Reading this on my iPhone, if I press and hold down on the link, open on a new tab, then it works for me, pressing the title on the bottom I can them select other filters.

Doesn't work on my iPhone when it opens on the Google Maps app.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #39 on: 14 August, 2023, 11:24:15 am »

Doesn't work on my iPhone when it opens on the Google Maps app.

You don't get "View Map Legend" at the bottom, which if you tap, you get the filters?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 15 August, 2023, 08:19:00 pm »

+1 Works fine for me on my (Android) phone and I consider it useful. If it's not helpful to others then sorry not sorry for sharing it.
Tapping LEGEND works on Android (for us Luddites!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles