Author Topic: Anybody know what happened to any of the following?  (Read 15927 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Anybody know what happened to any of the following?
« Reply #25 on: 23 August, 2023, 12:55:05 pm »
... and lots of water vapour in the air, including thick fog. The dew on my bike outside at Tintineac was so intense this morning, I thought it had rained overnight. All of which makes ‘going nocturnal’ a less appealing option.

Yeah.  I can remember doing the Loudéac-Carhaix climb in 2015 floundering all over the road, blinded by dew on my specs. Took them off eventually but that wasn't much better. Yetch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #26 on: 23 August, 2023, 01:31:01 pm »
... and lots of water vapour in the air, including thick fog. The dew on my bike outside at Tintineac was so intense this morning, I thought it had rained overnight. All of which makes ‘going nocturnal’ a less appealing option.

Yeah.  I can remember doing the Loudéac-Carhaix climb in 2015 floundering all over the road, blinded by dew on my specs. Took them off eventually but that wasn't much better. Yetch.
I fell asleep on that descent in 2015 (we didn't sleep till Brooklyn Brest) but the damp kept waking me up.
Fun times.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27 on: 23 August, 2023, 02:40:11 pm »

I fell asleep on that descent in 2015 (we didn't sleep till Brooklyn Brest) but the damp kept waking me up.
Fun times.

FSVO fun. I fell asleep, firstly on the bike and then at a coffee stop, between Mamers & Mortagne.  I don't think I got more than 3 hours kip on the whole ride.

« Reply #28 on: 23 August, 2023, 07:36:23 pm »
Have just watched a Youtube video of Matt Page's ride which he packed on saying he "wasnt enjoying the ride anymore".

Matt is clearly a very good rider and was first to finish LEL last year.  However, he was clearly looking at trying to finish in the top 10 and being un-supported lost precious time at controls and then lost touch with the leading group.

Well done to everyone else that attempted the ride this year though.

« Reply #29 on: 23 August, 2023, 07:41:58 pm »
I comparison to LEL 2022, two things I think of note. Firstly, pdp start stupid fast. Heartrate high for the first hour or two plus the heat is not good. Second, humidity, it was very humid these last few days.
I addition, I'm sure there were more hills in this edition of PBP compared to 2019.

« Reply #30 on: 23 August, 2023, 09:19:52 pm »
Richard Lake - came off at around 80km suffered a shoulder injury - scratched

Paul Wainwright - scratched at Brest due to knee issues. 600km in 20hrs!

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #31 on: 24 August, 2023, 03:27:07 am »
… being un-supported lost precious time at controls and then lost touch with the leading group.

Well done to everyone else that attempted the ride this year though.

The campervan thing is beyond a joke, and that goes for punters (of whom I count myself one) as well as the vedettes. Shanty towns springing up all over, where those supported suchly are TLC’d up the wazoo while other riders can’t get a bed beyond 2 hrs at some controls.

I overheard at a control earlier, 2 members of a specific national contingent that collectively I have a lot of time for, complaining that “someone had eaten all the ice cream in the camper van”?!

I’ve gone from being unsure about alwyn’s decision to ban from LEL to fully in support. Easier done in theory than practice though.

« Reply #32 on: 24 August, 2023, 08:39:30 am »
nishioka007 finished last night, but not within his aim of 80 hours. That's his target for next time  :)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #33 on: 24 August, 2023, 02:27:45 pm »
It looks as if Ausilia Vistarini (M255) on her Brompton will finish out of time.

I think it's her first PBP, but she's ridden LEL (2009) and the Iditabike,  was MTB 24-hour world champion in about 2008, and goodness knows what else.

But most of all she's partly responsible for my forum name.

2009 LEL:
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

felstedrider

« Reply #34 on: 24 August, 2023, 03:53:41 pm »
It was 36 degrees inside the hall at Dreux at 6:30 last night.

Little sick of all the focus on the front runners.  The real stories are at the back but those riders aren’t bloggers or YouTubers.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #35 on: 24 August, 2023, 04:03:51 pm »
+1.  As ACP never cease to emphasize, it's not a race.  They go on publishing the times, though.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #36 on: 24 August, 2023, 04:08:50 pm »
It was 36 degrees inside the hall at Dreux at 6:30 last night.

Little sick of all the focus on the front runners.  The real stories are at the back but those riders aren’t bloggers or YouTubers.

Some of them are big Instagrammers though!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #37 on: 24 August, 2023, 04:10:42 pm »
Same as TCR I guess. And the Dutch national broadcasting had a piece on their website about PBP, focused on the woman who aimed to arrive as the first woman. The competitive aspect of what is not a race appeals most apparently.

Anyway, 't was very humid and bright sun. We were both cooked and roasted.

Von Broad can tell you a recumbent tricycle is not a good match for PBP, he turned around at Tinteniac.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 24 August, 2023, 05:28:15 pm »
Most folk need the fastest recumbent trike options to enjoy PBP. I spoke with Philippe who finished about an hour ahead of Steve’s/ my upright tandem. He rides a VTX, is strong and got second at last weekend’s recumbent world championships. He wasn’t aiming for a fast ride here and most trikies were on VTXs at the RWC.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #39 on: 24 August, 2023, 06:22:21 pm »
Any news on -

Amy Hudson of Derby Mercury & hubby

Steve Abraham

Adam Watkins

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #40 on: 24 August, 2023, 06:24:39 pm »
I believe Adam quit very early as he was ill.

I saw Steve at the finish. He rode with his delivroo bag😅
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #41 on: 24 August, 2023, 07:12:15 pm »
(and sleeping well in temperatures over 20° is not something you can train for - at midnight in Limousin we are still well over 25°!)
And despite this some knob-heads used their tin foil blankets in a room with 20 other people. Crinkle crinkle

Eddington  127miles, 170km

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 24 August, 2023, 08:32:40 pm »
The Derby pair got round in sub-70 but not comfortably.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tom

« Reply #43 on: 24 August, 2023, 08:46:08 pm »
I believe Adam quit very early as he was ill.

I saw Steve at the finish. He rode with his delivroo bag😅

I saw him with his bag, but didn't realise who he was! Bonkers.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #44 on: 24 August, 2023, 10:48:50 pm »
Any news on Mike Thompson (+074). Not sure what the + means.

Andy Corless

« Reply #45 on: 24 August, 2023, 11:19:33 pm »
Any news on Mike Thompson (+074). Not sure what the + means.
No news. The + designates the group after Z

« Reply #46 on: 25 August, 2023, 12:33:54 am »
Is that Mike from Elland?

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #47 on: 25 August, 2023, 07:24:44 am »
Just to point out these can by checked non-publicly using the search bar at https://track.rtrt.me/e/CC-2023#/tracker/

« Reply #48 on: 25 August, 2023, 11:10:05 am »
Thanks for that!

« Reply #49 on: 25 August, 2023, 12:13:54 pm »
+1.  As ACP never cease to emphasize, it's not a race.  They go on publishing the times, though.

Except that the start banners were carrying publicity for the 2024 Paris Olympics and the starter in his disblurge before starting the 4h50 specials on monday morning described it as a "course" in french and a "race" in english. Getting across the message of exactly what a randonnée is when it's like PBP is difficult when you are dealing with the collectivities and, given that in France money and political clout go hand in hand with "sporting achievement", I am not sure how keen FFVélo are to clear the misinformation away. If some front runners are also keen to treat it as a race or challenge to be first back what hope does truth get of being heard, regardless of what the ACP says or does?

When will PBP be sold to ASO to become a cycling Paris-Dakar, amateurs at the back and pros at the front? I don't think that this is such a far-fetched nightmare as it should be!