Author Topic: Quick Q. 8 or 9 speed chain on 8 sp cassette?  (Read 2715 times)

Quick Q. 8 or 9 speed chain on 8 sp cassette?
« on: 18 April, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »
So the set up is 8 speed cassette. 9 speed chainset and 9 speed rear mech.

I think it'll run better with a 9 speed chain, am I right?  Cheers.

Chris N

Re: Quick Q. 8 or 9 speed chain on 8 sp cassette?
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:29:33 pm »
Don't know.  Certainly doesn't matter if you run an 8 speed chain with 9 speed mechs and rings.

bobmick

« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:30:18 pm »
No.  need 8 speed chain.  9 speed too narrow for the cassette.

I think

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2008, 01:55:37 pm »
A 9sp chain will actually work because its internal width is about the same as an 8sp's.  But an 8sp chain is cheaper and might shift better.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:53:53 pm »
I doubt you'll notice a difference. Dirt and wear will probably make more difference. What sort of shifters ? Non indexed front shifting makes the set up much more forgiving.

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »
The 9 speed chain will have slightly better clearance through the jockeys on the mech but in reality there should be little or no difference.  What will be significant is the front mech.  An 8 speed chain will snag the side plates more on a 9 speed front mech, and the extra internal width of a 8 speed mech with a 9 speed chain might make front changing a tad more difficult.

« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2008, 10:16:07 pm »
The 9 speed chain will have slightly better clearance through the jockeys on the mech but in reality there should be little or no difference.  What will be significant is the front mech.  An 8 speed chain will snag the side plates more on a 9 speed front mech, and the extra internal width of a 8 speed mech with a 9 speed chain might make front changing a tad more difficult.
This is why I mentioned the front mech and shifter. I am using 9 speed mechs  a 7 speed cassette and 6/7/8 speed chain all in perfect harmony. My friction front shifter allows me to make small adjustments to snuff out any  rub

« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:46:28 am »
This is why I mentioned the front mech and shifter. I am using 9 speed mechs  a 7 speed cassette and 6/7/8 speed chain all in perfect harmony. My friction front shifter allows me to make small adjustments to snuff out any  rub

Indeed.  Sorry, I was in a rush and didn't read up everything posted.  :-[