Author Topic: Wrekin to Sea 300  (Read 4512 times)

frere yacker

Wrekin to Sea 300
« on: 12 June, 2008, 01:23:17 pm »
*bugle call to the parade ground*

Who's riding this one?

I sent off my entry this morning as I couldn't resist those sweeeeeeeeeeet Welsh hills.  The 2007 ride was one of my personal favourites.

Determined to get up the fecker of a climb out of Macynnleth (I know that's not spelt correctly) without putting foot to floor.  Last year, a friendly camper van slowed down beside me and a jolly family asked me if I wanted a lift up.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.

JohnHamilton

Re: Wrekin to Sea 300
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2008, 05:44:10 pm »
No other yACF'ers that I recognise. Still plenty of space left if anyone wants to enter though.

Jes

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2008, 06:12:45 pm »
Yes....just decided a couple of days ago to ride it. Maybe I too can get up that blasted hill - if it's the same way we came up it on the BCM, I have a LOT of ghosts to put to rest.

Jane
(Chelmer CC)

frere yacker

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2008, 07:47:40 pm »
Different hill - this one is a a couple of notches harder than anything on the BCM.  See grid reference SN 83663 95858.

ACFers - this is a cracking ride.  Right up there with the best.  Enter it and enjoy.

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2008, 07:58:35 pm »
Half tempted, but still feeling a bit broken at the moment.  John, is it OK to fire an entry in on Monday once the weekend is out of the way?

Thanks,

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

JohnHamilton

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:19:19 pm »
Half tempted, but still feeling a bit broken at the moment.  John, is it OK to fire an entry in on Monday once the weekend is out of the way?

Thanks,

AC

No problem Andy. Just PM, e-mail or phone if you want an entry next week.

Chris N

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:29:45 pm »
Damn.  Forgot about this one and have arranged to ride a Perm instead.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:45:05 pm »
Damn.  Forgot about this one and have arranged to ride a Perm instead.

Still time to change your mind :) You can ride your perm any time.

Chris N

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:46:34 pm »
Can't sorry John, hotel's booked and everything.  I'll have to try Offa's Dyke instead.

« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2008, 07:49:43 am »

John - Thanks again for last year. Absolutely superb event, as others are saying.

(Sorry I'm unable to fulfil my ambitions to ride your events this year... combination of compulsory wedding parties and cataract operations.)

Jes

« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2008, 10:45:57 am »
Different hill - this one is a a couple of notches harder than anything on the BCM.  See grid reference SN 83663 95858.

ACFers - this is a cracking ride.  Right up there with the best.  Enter it and enjoy.

oh dear.....best I pack an extra dummy then as I'll be spitting a few on the way up......

frere yacker

« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2008, 12:49:01 pm »

oh dear.....best I pack an extra dummy then as I'll be spitting a few on the way up......

I suggest you also pack some string.  To tie your jaws together after you see the view over the Irish Sea as you swoop from the mountains down to Borth.  Stunning.

The route has a fair few long and enjoyable climbs - if you did the Scenic version of the BCM then you'll be familiar with the undulations through the Elan Valley and on to Devil's Bridge.  We also get to enjoy a twiddle up Long Mynd (from the easy side).

Jes

« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2008, 01:01:31 pm »

I suggest you also pack some string.  To tie your jaws together after you see the view over the Irish Sea as you swoop from the mountains down to Borth.  Stunning.

The route has a fair few long and enjoyable climbs - if you did the Scenic version of the BCM then you'll be familiar with the undulations through the Elan Valley and on to Devil's Bridge.  We also get to enjoy a twiddle up Long Mynd (from the easy side).
[/quote]

Yes...did the Scenic and loved the Elan Valley bit.  ;D.  It does sound like a fantastic ride and I am looking forward to it.

« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2008, 01:07:34 pm »

Meh, the sea is the sea.  All looks the same really.  And Borth is a dive  :sick:

I'm a bit suspicious of the 'easy side' of the Long Mynd.  We did the Plain 400 and Sheila claims that involved the easy side.  It wasn't a particularly hard climb, but how many easy sides can it have?

Chris N

« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2008, 01:12:19 pm »
Same side, I think.  From Picklescott to Bridges, IIRC.  I couldn't ride all the way up it on the audax last year (68" fixed + headwind >:(), but did later on in the year with a 61" gear.  Teethgrinder was there too and I would think he made it up there on some massive TT gear.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2008, 06:56:59 pm »
I'm a bit suspicious of the 'easy side' of the Long Mynd.  We did the Plain 400 and Sheila claims that involved the easy side.  It wasn't a particularly hard climb, but how many easy sides can it have?

Same side, I think.  From Picklescott to Bridges, IIRC.  I couldn't ride all the way up it on the audax last year (68" fixed + headwind >:(), but did later on in the year with a 61" gear.  Teethgrinder was there too and I would think he made it up there on some massive TT gear.

Yep, that's the one. About the only easy side to the Long Mynd. It's just the hors d'ouevres on this ride though to get you warmed up for the Stiperstones.

If you want to go up the hard side then try The Burway or Asterton Bank

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:00:16 pm »
This was one of my favourite ries last year. It was a shame i had to rush around to get to another event. Won't be riding this year, but I'll do the Offas Dyke.
I reckon this is the best 300 on the calendar for scenery and not a killer, but still got a few good climbs in it.

frere yacker

« Reply #17 on: 20 June, 2008, 09:34:52 am »
Hmmm.  That weather band sweeping north-eastwards across Wales tomorrow doesn't look very friendly for randonneurs.

I've decided that I won't be doing this ride.  A 6 hour round trip to Telford for the dubious pleasure of getting drenched doesn't float my boat.  Not an easy decision, as I was looking forward to the ride.

« Reply #18 on: 21 June, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »
It's a bit of a grim day for it today.  We were going to perm in North Wales today, but didn't.  Got the train back to Aberystywth and saw a couple of riders just outside of Aberystwyth (Bow Street, just before the turning to Borth) at about 3.30 pm.  It had stopped raining in mid-Wales by then but I couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for them as there is a strong easterly wind at the moment.

frere yacker

« Reply #19 on: 21 June, 2008, 05:25:37 pm »
You have to admire their stupidity bravery.

Sitting in my front lounge catching up on real life.  The world on the other side of the glass is dreecht as they say in my home town.  And that was out of the path of the rain dump.  Sometimes you just know you've made the right decision not to ride.

Alternative plans have been made for tomorrow to compensate for the loss of miles in legs (a local permanent over the hills of Surrey, Sussex and Kent) and a couple of rides towards the end of July to make up for the loss of Welsh bonnyness (two of the Cambrian Series rides; A and E).

JohnHamilton

« Reply #20 on: 22 June, 2008, 07:24:22 pm »
Well it was fairly grim in places but overall not as bad I was thinking it might be on Friday, when my phone and email were busy with those abandoning. On Thursday I had 22 starters. By 9pm on Friday it was down to 10.

So it was a fairly select band who gathered in the car park in Wellington to a grey and drizzly morning. The rain soon intensified and with the cloud base low the climbs of the Long Mynd and Stiperstones were distinctly short on scenery. The actual rain had pretty much stopped by the first control though, to be replaced by general wetness and we made a small lake on the floor of the cafe in Rhayader when we arrived.

Things got much better after that though. The cloud lifted off the tops of the hills, the Elan reservoirs were moody and atmospheric and there was even enough sun on the mountain road to cast our shadows. Plus the wind, which had started behind us was shifting round to the south to continue to blow us towards the coast. I even ventured so far as to take my waterproof off at the top of the reservoirs and this bit was almost pleasant.

The cafe at Borth was deserted (a wet afternoon in Borth is pretty low on most people's list of things to do) but the food was welcome. The rain started to return though by the time I got to Machynlleth and the endless climb over to Dylife was done in the drizzle. A couple of heavy showers on the run into Newtown (those behind us were not so lucky and got drenched on the Dylife road). The wind had continued to swing round as the day went on and was now a strong south westerly to blow us home on the last leg.

All 11 who started finished - with the last three (all on their first 300 - quite an achievement) putting in a sterling effort to finish at 02:55am. Well done to everyone for finishing a tough event on a fairly horrible day.