Author Topic: garmin 530 not starting properly  (Read 1975 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
garmin 530 not starting properly
« on: 26 January, 2020, 03:51:23 pm »
put the GPX file for the weekend's audax onto it, now it seems to have gone into a non-start up loop.

Displaying "Loading courses workouts and locations..." with a ... going acros the screen.

I've tried the "hold the power button for 10 secs" routine but it keeps cycling back to the same point. It's charging from the laptop connection, but not connecting as a device.  This one is too new for me to know all the foibles and workarounds yet. Don't fancy Audaxing off of the Fenix this weekend.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Phil W

Re: garmin 530 not starting properly
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:03:48 pm »
You can usually force a hard reset by holding down multiple buttons at once. Well you can  with it’s predecessor Edge 500.  Suggest you try that once you’ve looked up which buttons need holding.

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:11:34 pm »
nothing in the manual, hence posting here

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:24:05 pm »
This is for edge 500 but worth a go

To perform the master reset:
Power device off
Press and hold Page/Menu, Start/Stop and Power simultaneously
Release buttons when the word "Garmin" disappears
After the Edge 500 is reset, it will walk through the initial setup. After completing this, leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for approximately 15 minutes to acquire satellite data.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:25:26 pm »
Try forcing it into mass storage.
Power it off. Then hold down the lap button for 10 seconds or so, while plugging it into the computer.

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2020, 04:32:09 pm »
Thanks Fuaran, also had that from another forum, deleted everything in the new files folder and re-added the gpx file I want.  Does not seem to have cured it, so I suspect a corrupt gpx file.  It seems about ten times larger than the rest

Had a sync issue earlier today as well, not sure if that is connected.

Deletion of that file in total seems to have done the trick.

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2020, 05:18:17 pm »
The files in new files are converted into fit file format. That’s what it is doing when you see that message. I’ve found in the past when I used my edge 500 to navigate that crs or tcx files convert much more reliably.  But does sound like the GPX was heavily bloated. Ride with GPS is notorious for it, providing files with a track point every 7m on average , which is ridiculous.

ElyDave

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2020, 06:59:30 pm »
not entirely sure why, but it did finally work, transferred last year's file as a "just in case", that worked, so then tried again with this year's "avoid Market Street" option and for some reason it worked fine.

I've used plenty of ride with GPS files downloaded as .gpx before from ones I've drawn myself and had no issues, Garmin, go figure

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:43:07 pm »
It may be different on newer Garmins but the older ones didn't simplify bloated GPX files. So if the GPX had 10 times as many track points as necessary then the GPS would use 10 times as much CPU processing time on it. Which often led to slow redraws or the map display lagging a second or more behind your position. Leading to missed turns in many cases.