Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815531 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #25250 on: 05 June, 2022, 04:08:28 pm »
I actually rode a bike for the first time in over a year. Only about a 5-mile round trip to get some compost from Homebase (also an opportunity to test out the new-to-me trailer).

My disc brakes appear to have become screaming banshees from hell, though. ??? I had the bike serviced a couple of months ago and the brakes bled as part of it, but they've never made noise like this before in the 6 years I've owned the bike. Not great on shared paths, because all the pedestrians just assumed I was slamming on the brakes when actually I was trying to use them as gently as possible. And no, random passerby who helpfully suggested I need some WD-40, that really wouldn't help. :hand:

We’re they still effective? If not, then no doubt oil contamination, and the only sensible solution is to ditch the pads for new ones and clean the rotors with IPA or Acetone. Yes, you can try and resurrect them by baking/burning spect, but really new ones are the best solution.  If effective, then maybe just dirt, or possibly misalignment. Loosen the 2 securing bolts, clamp on the brake and re-secure. Take the pads out and clean with IPA/Acetone, as well as discs.

I was fortunate, when I needed new pads recently, I was able to get my stepson to buy some for me from Bike24 (he lives in Berlin) and bring them over, at a substantial saving over ones bought in the UK.

I was out today, third time this long weekend, and today was cool (9C as opposed to the forecast 14C) and wet-ish - heavy drizzle I guess you’d call it. But a refreshing 30km.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #25251 on: 05 June, 2022, 04:32:09 pm »
I actually rode a bike for the first time in over a year. Only about a 5-mile round trip to get some compost from Homebase (also an opportunity to test out the new-to-me trailer).

My disc brakes appear to have become screaming banshees from hell, though. ??? I had the bike serviced a couple of months ago and the brakes bled as part of it, but they've never made noise like this before in the 6 years I've owned the bike. Not great on shared paths, because all the pedestrians just assumed I was slamming on the brakes when actually I was trying to use them as gently as possible. And no, random passerby who helpfully suggested I need some WD-40, that really wouldn't help. :hand:

We’re they still effective? If not, then no doubt oil contamination, and the only sensible solution is to ditch the pads for new ones and clean the rotors with IPA or Acetone. Yes, you can try and resurrect them by baking/burning spect, but really new ones are the best solution.  If effective, then maybe just dirt, or possibly misalignment. Loosen the 2 securing bolts, clamp on the brake and re-secure. Take the pads out and clean with IPA/Acetone, as well as discs.

Yes, still working fine - just noisy! When I had it serviced they actually said the pads were in good nick.

Cleaning the rotors + pads with IPA will be my next port of call, I think...

« Reply #25252 on: 05 June, 2022, 04:37:59 pm »
Could also possibly be damp pads - drying them in th3 oven after cleaning may help.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #25253 on: 05 June, 2022, 04:38:20 pm »
Possibly the brakes telling you that you need to ride your bike more?  A bit of hard braking might sort them out...

Contragulations on getting out, though.

« Reply #25254 on: 05 June, 2022, 06:18:44 pm »
A gentle potter fr.from. wing  hall Rutland to slough yesterday and overnight getting home at approx 0630 .from Mentmore varying amounts of rain from light to  biblical including a soilatre crack of lightning. I met a  family group riding for the first time on the Bampton cycleway with new cycles and mentioned the York rally and of course yacf. I also met three cyclists near the end of the Bampton  cycleway  one of whom was riding a nice 90s or
late 80s Road cycle and one of the others riding a 26 inch wheel folder. Pictures will be on the interesting bikes thread shortly 😀
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #25255 on: 05 June, 2022, 07:13:55 pm »
A gentle potter fr.from. wing  hall Rutland to slough yesterday and overnight getting home at approx 0630 .from Mentmore varying amounts of rain from light to  biblical including a soilatre crack of lightning. I met a  family group riding for the first time on the Bampton cycleway with new cycles and mentioned the York rally and of course yacf. I also met three cyclists near the end of the Bampton  cycleway  one of whom was riding a nice 90s or
late 80s Road cycle and one of the others riding a 26 inch wheel folder. Pictures will be on the interesting bikes thread shortly 😀

It was certainly biblical in the early hours - I live about 5 miles from Mentmore and it woke me on 2 occasions, no lightening/thunder though.

« Reply #25256 on: 06 June, 2022, 04:19:53 pm »
About 1/3rd of a mile on the folder to watch the start of the women's tour which went very close to my work and then obviously back to work

« Reply #25257 on: 07 June, 2022, 01:28:45 pm »
Just 5.5km to the railway station. Then there will be another 6km to Hull ferry port for the overnight sailing to Rotterdam. When does excitement become trepidation and when does the need to pee every 5 minutes stop?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #25258 on: 07 June, 2022, 04:28:49 pm »

Yes, still working fine - just noisy! When I had it serviced they actually said the pads were in good nick.

Cleaning the rotors + pads with IPA will be my next port of call, I think...

I don't think IPA means what I think it means here  ???
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #25259 on: 07 June, 2022, 04:32:48 pm »
isopropyl alcohol

One of the many things I have learned from yacf. Previously I only knew it as international phonetic alphabet. And Indian pale ale, but the squiggles you get with that are less intelligible.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #25260 on: 07 June, 2022, 06:50:56 pm »
Yeah, it's International Phonetic Alphabet for "How do you pronounce 'audax'?", Isopropyl Alcohol for broken brakes, and India Pale Ale for slipping Brompton seatposts.

« Reply #25261 on: 07 June, 2022, 07:15:24 pm »
Sitting on the ferry drinking my second  large glass of Merlot and waiting for my steak. Last real meal before Prague. 300kms per day for 5-6 days is the plan. If the weather is awful then it will be 200 for 7 days and a train to Prague for the last bit. Que sera, sera.

« Reply #25262 on: 07 June, 2022, 07:20:16 pm »
Fantastic stuff. Good luck, hope it goes seamlessly (and painlessly).
Rust never sleeps

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #25263 on: 11 June, 2022, 11:54:30 am »
I’m drinking latte in Whaley Bridge. How exotic is that?

I just explored the closed A5004 from Buxton, but when I came within a gnat’s crotchet of the land slip I was turned back by virtue of an impenetrable fence.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #25264 on: 11 June, 2022, 01:41:58 pm »
Got train to Didcot and rode back with mate's new bike.  100% headwind (I even had to head west to catch the train).

At Baulking, we unexpectedly saw Clun Castle on a steam railtour: https://youtu.be/U21PjwD3mJw
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #25265 on: 11 June, 2022, 11:01:21 pm »
Did a short route out to Dyce, on the outskirts of Aberdeen. This is where the airport is, and is mostly Industrial Estates and fancy new Business Parks now.

However, this trip was to visit some archaeological sites I'm not been to before. The Pictish Symbol Stones at the old Dyce churchyard; the Memorial to Duncan Liddell, mathematician and physicist nearby; and then the Tyrebagger Recumbent Stone Circle.

There are many recumbent stone circles in Aberdeenshire, it's *a thing* here.
But this one is interesting in that it's complete, and even though it's within a hundred metres of the major AWPR road, it's actually fairly inaccessible.
Access is via back roads around an industrial estate near the airport, then unpaved farm tracks.
I was on a carbon road bike with aerobars!

https://www.strava.com/activities/7291090346

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #25266 on: 11 June, 2022, 11:44:09 pm »
the Tyrebagger Recumbent Stone Circle.

10/10 for sounding like something you made up for YACF purposes.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #25267 on: 12 June, 2022, 02:33:08 am »
Sitting on the ferry drinking my second  large glass of Merlot and waiting for my steak. Last real meal before Prague. 300kms per day for 5-6 days is the plan. If the weather is awful then it will be 200 for 7 days and a train to Prague for the last bit. Que sera, sera.

I really need to do an adventure like this.   It sounds fantastic    Hope it’s a great trip.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25268 on: 12 June, 2022, 10:53:12 am »
Yesterday, 170k across bits of Alsace. 24 - 31°C, got my first real sunburn of the season, the one you get when you're so used to lousy weather you don't really believe in sunburn any more.  Fun ride.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #25269 on: 12 June, 2022, 11:29:09 am »
Excellent news T42
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #25270 on: 12 June, 2022, 03:14:04 pm »
Just under 30km on the first full day of our holiday-with-bikes-not-a-cycling-holiday in France.

Waited for a light shower to pass before setting off, lovely conditions after that and all but 4km on a dedicated tarmac cycle path (an old railway).

Much fun. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/93100430

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25271 on: 12 June, 2022, 03:43:42 pm »
Excellent news T42

Thanks, LWAB. Alas, it was on the eBrute rather than my honest bike. Still, I believe I supplied most of the oomph.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #25272 on: 12 June, 2022, 06:37:41 pm »
Local club 100 mile reliability ride, postponed from Spring.
Quite breezy outbound, but a nice push home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7297259302

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #25273 on: 12 June, 2022, 06:39:23 pm »
Excellent news T42

Thanks, LWAB. Alas, it was on the eBrute rather than my honest bike. Still, I believe I supplied most of the oomph.

It's all good.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #25274 on: 12 June, 2022, 07:41:22 pm »
30km on the folder this morning, testing (and training?) for doing St Neots-St Ives (and back) on behalf of LEL. I tried a phone with the Openrunner app working off line. It stayed together but didn't show me much map (it might need a SIM card and a pre-plotted route for that. TBA. It will do that on the other phone but that one didn't have a 4G connection when I had it in UK last summer, hence the experiment). Openrunner only records total time not moving time so 2 hours total - but I wasn't rushing and it was a bit hilly.
Bike a bit clunky, might be cheap rubbishy pedals or cheap bb (not helped by a clunky leg with a replacement knee). This will be sorted soon.
Still to do - order travel bag for the bike in the bus and test how it handles with the big front panniers (not predicting any problems, there won't be much weight, just bulk).