Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3883160 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #25275 on: 12 June, 2022, 08:53:21 pm »
Lovely day. 33 miles with local group to the very good Blossom cafe at the garden centre cafe in Willington near Bedford. Lots of folk out and about enjoying the sunshine which was good to see, including lots of cyclists. I still have a mysterious creak on my road bike despite things being greased and nipped up. Will need further investigation. Feels like the bottom bracket so it is bound to be something else.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #25276 on: 12 June, 2022, 09:37:32 pm »
A Derbyshire weekend!

Yesterday - 45.98k, 958m ascent, average speed 16.9kph.

Today - 39.44k, 672m ascent, 17.1kph.

On today’s ride, the long freewheel between Chelmorton and Sheldon was exhilarating, with the speed ranging between 45kph and 63kph.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25277 on: 13 June, 2022, 09:42:18 am »
Excellent news T42

Thanks, LWAB. Alas, it was on the eBrute rather than my honest bike. Still, I believe I supplied most of the oomph.

It's all good.   :thumbsup:

That's true, and to prove it my legs still hurt today.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #25278 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:19:11 am »
Out yesterday on the long barrow for the Tandem Club treasure hunt that I'd organised. Two and half teams entered, which was two and half times more than when I tried to run it last year. Add us and another crew who joined the ride for the morning and we were just about quorate.
Slow coffee at a garden centre, relaxed lunch at a Thee Pubbe then gate crashed tea and cakes in Itchingfield church yard. Only one ditch finding moment on a rough bridleway. Need to address stoker saddle comfort but kther than that a Grand Day Out.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #25279 on: 15 June, 2022, 09:24:04 am »
A lovely 60km ride yesterday from our campsite on the outskirts of La Roche sur Yon to Les Lucs sur Boulogne and back.

Lunch at Les Lucs was perfect - a small place with three courses for €13 including a self service buffet starter, steak frites main and a strawberry flan for dessert. 

The thermometer read 35 deg. on our return to the campsite.  It didnt feel uber hot but in Scots parlance it was gey warm.

I think its our 2nd longest ride on the tandem we got in Feb 2020. 

The evening was spent with Grimbergen & Scrabble. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/93308213

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #25280 on: 15 June, 2022, 05:08:57 pm »
51 miles with pub lunch - a "training run" for our 10 day French tour that starts on 22 June - Loire Atlantique area, 10 cycling club members this time.

A bit on the warm side but enjoyable and the bike behaved itself.

« Reply #25281 on: 15 June, 2022, 08:48:29 pm »
51 miles with pub lunch - a "training run" for our 10 day French tour that starts on 22 June - Loire Atlantique area, 10 cycling club members this time.

Was the training for the cycling or the eating aspect?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #25282 on: 15 June, 2022, 08:48:53 pm »
Sleepy and allergic, but dragged myself out belatedly to do my regular loop, having failed to get moving early enough for the longer ride I had planned.  Was the right decision, snot notwithstanding.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #25283 on: 16 June, 2022, 07:38:20 am »

Was the training for the cycling or the eating aspect?

Don't forget the drinking aspect - part of the daily schedule is "beer o'clock" at about 1500hrs - then beers when we get to the hotel before showers, and dinner.  One of our members has the nickname "pichet" as in jug of wine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25284 on: 16 June, 2022, 03:07:43 pm »
76k coffee trot on th eBrute. Ran into this bunch:

Sorry for the crappy retouching, it's too warm to redo.

« Reply #25285 on: 18 June, 2022, 11:15:57 pm »
The last two days riding has been limited to taking the folder to the baker's, couple of kms return trip. Already too hot by 10am to consider riding anywhere (and late to bed due to staying on the terrace enjoying the "cool" air until 1.30 in the morning). Yesterday afternoon 46° on the terrace, didn't bother to take a reading today - just rather too much warm. Same promised for tomorrow and we're not even in a red listed département (although I might just try to get out for an hour before bakery duties tomorrow). No climatisation in the house but it stays about 30° in the afternoon, which is manageable (lthough the cats and dog might disagree)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #25286 on: 19 June, 2022, 01:49:16 pm »
Cafe run.  Took the fast winter bike as it was still a bit wet out.  Slogged there against a tailwind but had a very easy run back.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #25287 on: 19 June, 2022, 06:24:16 pm »
Tandem tarts time trial down in the New Forest.

10 miles on the tandem trike.

We didn't win (we didn't expect to), we didn't come last, we caught our minute pair, we did keep upright and out of the hedges. We did enjoy ourselves.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25288 on: 22 June, 2022, 12:58:21 pm »
Yesterday, 200 km via Obernai & Mollkirch. Had a mechanical during a refuelling stop in Saverne

(Sorry about the intrusive finger, I was half zonked at 144 km)

but managed to make it home. Pleased - first 200 in 5 years, even if it was on the eBrute.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #25289 on: 22 June, 2022, 08:26:57 pm »
You aren’t the only one happy about that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #25290 on: 22 June, 2022, 09:16:20 pm »
Somewhat more humble 35 mile cafe run in glittering sunshine. Wonderful.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25291 on: 23 June, 2022, 10:02:06 am »
You aren’t the only one happy about that.

Merci monsieur!  I'm still knackered this morning. ;)  I can't remember how I used to do 300k days back to back. I just remember that it didn't hurt as much as I did the day after this effort.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #25292 on: 23 June, 2022, 06:40:04 pm »
Do you manage to recharge the battery during food stops?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25293 on: 28 June, 2022, 04:01:05 pm »
Do you manage to recharge the battery during food stops?

Sorry, Wow, didn't notice this before.  Yes, I had about an hour for lunch and they very graciously let me plug in. An hour didn't top it up all the way, though.   In future I'm going to swap to my spare while the other battery is charging, then I can see how far I can manage on my two batteries without having to recharge.

I hadn't realized before how cheap charging up is: a kWh here costs 0.174 € and my batteries are 252 & 222 Wh each, so charging for a long ride costs about 8 centimes.

---o0o---

Today, coffee toddle with El Prez, remarkable only for the disagreeable NE wind and the fact that the bolts holding my saddle to the seat-post came loose, so that the saddle suddenly pointed at the sky and slid back/downwards, with interesting anatomical consequences.  Once El Prez had stopped laughing he obligingly held the bike upright while I fixed it.  He paid for the coffee & cakes, too.

« Reply #25294 on: 29 June, 2022, 10:18:35 pm »
A 30km circuit through Richmond park via the "Beach" at Teddington lock. I finally figured out how to get to it.

Then an expensive, but very tasty toasted sandwich in the middle of Richmond park.

A nice afternoon for a ride.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25295 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:18:04 am »
Yesterday, 161k on the eBrute.  Didn't feel much like riding at first & so pussy-footed it down to the Rhine-Marne canal, then 35k in the sunshine to lunch in a superb patisserie - chicken/salad sandwich in a fresh bâtard with cumin on the chicken, followed by a vanilla/strawberry eclair. Much better after that, returned via La Petite Pierre (tourist trap, didn't stop) and down to my favourite patisserie in Ingwiller. Thereafter didn't feel like going straight home so inserted a few more loops up through the forest until I decided that was enough & headed home. Very pleasant ride in the end: think I'll go again tomorrow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25296 on: 02 July, 2022, 03:23:28 pm »
And 86 k on the aforesaid brute today, usual coffee run. Lovely day, brisk breeze, countryside incredibly beautiful - I stopped a couple of times just to sit and look:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #25297 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:32:39 pm »
A 30km circuit through Richmond park via the "Beach" at Teddington lock. I finally figured out how to get to it.

Then an expensive, but very tasty toasted sandwich in the middle of Richmond park.

That water looks very inviting. Does anyone ever swim there?

« Reply #25298 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:51:18 pm »

Which bank is it on, and how do you get to it?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #25299 on: 02 July, 2022, 11:30:05 pm »
I'm guessing it's on the island, here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Teddington/@51.4302283,-0.3218983,106m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48760b5fde736955:0x9698be6c38d6b979!8m2!3d51.4268694!4d-0.3338681

Edit: am I right, or... ;)

https://teddington.nub.news/news/local-news/teddington-39beach39-returns

2nd edit: that piece, dated November last year, was claiming temperatures of 24°C. Really? In late October/early November?

3rd edit: my weather station recorded 3 days in excess of 18°C in late October last year. I suppose it's just feasible that it could have been 6°C higher 50 miles or so inland of us.