Author Topic: Flights of Fancy  (Read 88424 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Flights of Fancy
« Reply #475 on: 22 March, 2023, 08:20:12 pm »
Slightly out of my usual line of country, an indoor duration model.  This is, sort of,  the LPP* variant of Chuck Markos' Double Whammy for a one design competition (read: party game) in October.  This one is a bit on the heavy side at 4.33g so is unlikely to be troubling the podium; no matter it'll still be fun.  Heavy? Oh dearie me, yes.  Many people can build film covered versions 1g lighter and tissue covered versions at or under 3.8g and that extra weight will knock a minute or more out of expected flight time c.f. a 3.8g version.

The asymmetric, twisted wing is as per the design.  Odd looking, isn't it?

*Limited Penny Plane.  The "penny" is a U.S. cent which has a nominal weight of about 3.1g and that's the minimum weight, exc. motor, for LPP comps.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #476 on: 23 March, 2023, 07:54:27 am »
Rather lovely.  I take it it's preset to fly in tight circles.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

« Reply #477 on: 23 March, 2023, 04:02:38 pm »
Quote from: T42
Rather lovely.  I take it it's preset to fly in tight circles.
They do have an odd charm about them, don't they?  Yes, trimmed to circle, but it's considered good form to use a decent amount of the available space rather than, almost, spinning it on its axis.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #478 on: 06 April, 2023, 11:40:57 pm »
Seeing as I have a 3D printer, I thought I'd scratch the itch I've had since I built my first Balsa and Tissue glider but couldn't afford radio control.
I was going to go for a big Spitfire but then realised I can't actually fly radio controlled planes so I went for the free Piper Cub from 3DLabPrint to use as a trainer. I don't know how long it will last, maybe 5 seconds, but you've got to give it a try!

The lightweight PLA sections came out really well, as did the PETG for the motor mount and landing gear. I'm having real problems getting the flexible TPE to print the front tyres (the tail wheel tyre was fine for some reason) and have tried a lot of setting changes.

Anyway, I decided it was time to start putting bits togeher and I've glued the fuselage. I haven't printed as many bits of the tail as I thought I had! I'm also dithering about the wings, I might choose another colour so I can see which way it's pointing. There's plenty to do before I build the wings.

It should turn out at 42" wingspan and 500grams with a 3S 1300mAh LiPo. We'll see.

Everyone's favourite windbreak

TheLurker

« Reply #479 on: 07 April, 2023, 08:01:47 am »
Quote from: Morat
Seeing as I have a 3D printer...
That's impressive.  How long to print the various components?  And how did you get such a smooth finish to the surfaces? 

Erm. You do know at twice the 250g limit you'll have to jump through the various CAA* certification stuff, don't you?

I might choose another colour so I can see which way it's pointing.
I'm told by those that do fly RC that this is jolly helpful to reduce the risk of loss of orientation by the pilot and all the unpleasantness that follows therefrom.

If you know someone who does fly RC models, get them to put it through its maiden flight.  An experienced RC flyer will be able to cope with any trim / balance oddities there may be and help you get it set up so that it will be less challenging for a tyro.

Good luck!
Lurk

*Could be worse.  I found out yesterday that the equivalent Canadian regs. for model aircraft forbid the consumption of alcohol in the 12 hours preceding flight at least (AFAIK) the CAA hasn't gone that far.

« Reply #480 on: 12 April, 2023, 09:15:17 am »
If you do want to fly RC models, it's worth joining the BMFA and taking their online test. You'll need to register for an Operators license with the CAA as well. If you can't fly yet, I'd look for a club local to you, and find one with an instructor who can buddy box with you. Crashing is really easy!

I crashed my Wot 4 on Sunday. :( I was doing figure 8s and over banked trying to tighten it to stay the right side of the line. inverted, nose-dived and the instructor couldn't pull up in time. Fixing that will be this week's modelling activity, so I don't think I'll have time to make any progress on this:
2023-04-12_09-12-11 by duncancmartin, on Flickr

I heard that the Canadian regs make no distinction between flying full size private planes and flying models (partly because the Canadian model flying org got into trouble with their CAA equivalent)

TheLurker

« Reply #481 on: 15 April, 2023, 08:19:52 pm »
PedalDog, you might be especially interested in one of the models flown at Trinity today.

Morat

« Reply #482 on: 16 April, 2023, 05:17:33 pm »
The finish on the 3D printing is pretty good, but not perfectly smooth. It's rough to the touch, like decent but unsanded balsa. This is as good as it will get, because i'm not going to risk melting the plastic with the sandpaper. I'm just telling myself it's more efficient due to the boundary layer effects. Or something :)

The red stuff is Lightweight Poly Lactic Acid (LW-PLA) which foams up as it is heated to lower the density. The bonding between layers is very good so the normal horizontal banding is reduced. Of course, it's not as rigid as standard PLA so the designer needs to take that into account and put in reinforcing ribs and other shapes. On the upside, there are some really nice features designed into the fuselage like servo holders and guide tubes for the control wires leading to the tail.

I have also printed the undercarriage legs (one piece) which are in PET-G This type of plastic has more flexibility than the PLA so, along with some rubber bands, I should be able to slap it down on the grass without all the shock being transferred to the fuselage. That assumes it hits the ground wheels first, of-course ;)

I have to say, I'm very unimpressed by the level of regulation that has grown up around the hobby since I last looked into it. Classing all RC aircraft as drones seems like overkill to me. It's not like I'll be flying this thing on FPV goggles over prisons or dropping 3D printed bombs into tank turrets. Hey ho, the law is the law I guess.

If I get everything up and running I'll take the good advice from The Lurker and DuncanM and ask somone else to give it a maiden flight. I haven't been to the local RC clubs before, but the two local ones to me are York and Scarborough. I'll drop an email to them when I'm a bit further on and see what they say.

As for print times, the fuselage represents about 13 hours print time in total. The biggest piece took 4 hours and there are 7 pieces in total (the battery cover catch only took about 20 minutes). Assembly is pretty quick. There was some headscratching and messing about with tweezers as I cleaned up any fuzzy areas to make sure the sections fitted together correctly. Then I superglued them together using Mitre Bond. I was recommended all sorts of expensive CA glues with accelerators but ScrewFix sold me 50g of "Mitre Fast Bond Adhesive" CA and a can of accelerator for about £7. This penny pinching may come back to bite me but so far it seems to create a bond that is stronger than the PLA so I hope it will work out.

The wings and tail are made of more, and much smaller, sections which are usually 30-45 minutes print time each. There's more faff involved in cleaning the build plate and setting off the jobs but it's not exactly a chore. You've just got to keep the printer churning and you soon make progress. For bonus points, I interleave print jobs with laundry loads to keep everyone sweet.

Here's the RC kit list if anyone is interested:
So far, I think I've got most of the spending done. I've bought an expensive (for me) radio controller on the basis that that's probably the only bit I'll still have on day two. I decided to go as cheap as possible on everything else so I've got two ZEEE RC batteries (£32 for the pair), 4 Emax ES08MAII servos, a ToolkitRC M8S battery charger (no power supply, just some croc clips and a spare car battery so far) and a random 30A ESC which arrived without any connectors so I need to break out the soldering iron. For a receiver I  bought a Matek R24-P6 for £15 which I find an incredible price for a 6 channel receiver that weighs 3 grams. Technology really is marching on!
The last thing I think I need is the motor, the recommended options are all out of stock. So I just ordered a Skyrunner 980KV which seems to be the right size. I hope it fits in the mounts!

TheLurker

« Reply #483 on: 16 April, 2023, 06:04:04 pm »
Thanks for that Morat.

"... unimpressed by the level of regulation that has grown up around the hobby."

It's not great, but the BMFA did a bloody good job getting rid of the stupider proposals - some of them would have killed the large RC model side of things stone dead - and at least it is workable.  It's the usual problem, knee-jerk legislation to cope with the idiots as well as the ne-er do wells dropping contraband into prisons ballsing things up for everyone else.  On the idiot front, there was a stunning example of utter stupidity last year.

From,  https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/caa-warns-drone-users-after-bbmf-hurricane-near-miss/151577.article 

UK regulators have hailed the successful prosecution of a drone operator for threatening the safety of a vintage Hawker Hurricane fighter as a warning to other users of unmanned air vehicles (UAVs).

Mark Bagguley, of Chatsworth Road, Fairfield, Derbyshire on 9 January plead guilty to charges of endangering an aircraft and operating an aircraft out of the visual line of sight.

Drone was flown too close to Hurricane’s wing

The incident happened at the Buxton carnival on 9 July 2022, during a fly-past by the Hurricane of the Royal Air Force’s Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Derbyshire constabulary say images captured on the day showed Bagguley’s drone flying dangerously close to the Hurricane’s wing.

The UAV was subsequently seized and data analysis showed it was flying over Buxton at the time of the fly-past, in contravention of an airspace restriction in place at the time which banned all other flying in the area, including of drones.

« Reply #484 on: 17 April, 2023, 04:08:48 pm »
I didn't see which transmitter you chose, but they are the most expensive single component.
You might find this podcast useful: https://aviationrcnoob.com/ They also have an active Discord server, and there's some active 3d printing people on there as well.

Morat

« Reply #485 on: 24 April, 2023, 04:10:38 pm »
I bought a Radiomaster TX16s

Thanks for the Discord recommendation. I'm already subbed to RCVideoReviews which has been incredibly helpful, but I should probably spread the questions out a bit! :)

« Reply #486 on: 29 April, 2023, 02:39:17 pm »
I went flying again today.  I'd repaired the Photon by cutting about an inch off the nose and using a standard plywood firewall with the motor bolted to the front. It's a lot more sturdy, but I crashed it on takeoff (still super roll sensitive, and too close to the ground), and the tail foam broke a little and loosened the rudder servo.
So I flew 4 batteries on the Bixler - all reasonable takeoffs and landings, no major issues while flying. It dives a bit hands off, I don't know if it's a trim issue (it's trimmed full so I need work out how to move that to subtrim) or a thrust angle issue (the motor was loose, and it's a pusher, so it's at a bit of a strange angle).

There was a kid flying one of those volantex spitfires around - with all the safety aids on it was close to uncrashable (unless you try, and he did bounce it a couple of times). It flies so much better than anything that tiny has any right to.

« Reply #487 on: 30 April, 2023, 02:27:50 pm »
Much windier today. Crashed the Wot4 trying to land and broke the fuse!  :'(
Flew a couple more times with the Bixler on the buddy box with my trainer taking off and landing - it was too windy for the Bixler really. It trimmed out OK, so I'm not going to think about the thrust angle.

TheLurker

« Reply #488 on: 30 April, 2023, 07:25:58 pm »
Quote from: DuncanM
Much windier today. Crashed the Wot4 trying to land and broke the fuse!  :'(
Cat 4 or Cat 5?  If it's Cat 5 never mind, it frees up space in the hangar for the next one.  :)

P.S.
I do hope that you've secured the Bixler's motor, you'll never get a consistent trim with the thrust-line all over the shop.

« Reply #489 on: 08 May, 2023, 09:16:35 am »
It was only 2 big pieces, so I was able to stick it back together with glue, cocktail sticks and tape. 3 successful fights yesterday including 2 landings by me!
The only picture I took when it was broken!
Oooops by duncancmartin, on Flickr
The Bixler motor is glued in place, my references to the thrust angle were because after it came loose in a crash I had glued it back in again, and I wasn't 100% sure I had glued it in at exactly the right angle.

« Reply #490 on: 10 May, 2023, 05:00:17 pm »
New project on a rainy bank holiday:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/newton-airlines-big-box-plane-aka-coroplast-tobledrone.74167/
I have Friday off and it's going to be quite windy. Wonder if I can get it completed by Saturday when there's a spot landing competition on the Meadow.

TheLurker

« Reply #491 on: 20 May, 2023, 09:54:31 pm »

« Reply #492 on: 24 May, 2023, 10:13:16 am »
I need to get my act together and go down to one of those. I should probably finish my VMC Pilot first, but I seem to be accruing projects at a rate! Latest 2 are eBay Uno Wot and Wot 4 purchases - both balsa, both needing converting to electric. I've got the motor etc for the Uno Wot, I'm just waiting on some nuts and bolts before I start - I'm due to collect the Wot 4 on Friday, so we'll see where we go once we have it.
I've been making wing bags from the shiny silver insulation from homebase this week - I'll post a picture when I get them all lines up on the grass! :)

« Reply #493 on: 15 June, 2023, 08:29:31 am »
Wing bags:
PXL_20230526_141948395 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
Amusingly, I made a sort of outdoor window blind from the same stuff yesterday to reduce heat coming into the house. It's amazing how useful modelling stuff can be around the place :)
Also, I've been busy making the conversion kit for the Uno Wot. Here's the motor mount pieces:
PXL_20230526_150630929 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
I ended up making a sort of tongue and groove for the side pieces, so the bix is super string, but I don't have a flickr photo of that, however here it is on the Uno Wot:
PXL_20230603_161205245 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
There was a certain amount of cutting and making to create a battery tray and stuff, but the photos of that were rubbish. I took it to the field last week to get someone to fly it for me, but it was super tail heavy thanks to the previous owner putting about 50g of weights right at the back of the fuse. I've removed them now, so it needs another go - maybe this Sunday (I'm not capable of maidening anything yet). I am getting better at flying though, I'm now able to reliably take-off, fly around, and land my battered blue Wot 4 Foam-e on my own without undue trouble. Just need to practise the A schedule for a while before taking the test...

TheLurker

« Reply #494 on: 02 July, 2023, 02:54:33 pm »
One Malmström Tom-Tit*, a 1943 design.  It's a rush job and if you look (not desperately) closely it shows.  As seen 12.9g so not as light as I'd hoped it would be, but not as heavy as I feared it was going to be.

*Not the same as an antipodean Tomtit, a nickname for the Blue Tit.

« Reply #495 on: 05 July, 2023, 03:05:26 pm »
That's really cool. ;D
I've still not got anywhere with the VMC Pilot or with the various RC projects I have, but I am due to take my A test a week on Saturday, so I've been flying when I can.

Morat

« Reply #496 on: 07 July, 2023, 10:46:19 pm »
12.9g? that sounds amazing to me!!

Here's some progress shots.. nothing fascinating I'm just pleased I've managed to make some progress.

That's the same as TheLurker's whole plane!  :o

I've got to solder the pins on the receiver next and plug all the wires together. Then the fun starts with trying to figure out my over-complicated radio :)

TheLurker

« Reply #497 on: 08 July, 2023, 11:14:30 am »
Here's some progress shots.. nothing fascinating
Quite the contrary.  For those of us wedded to methods and material from the technological dark ages* it is fascinating.  I'm impressed by / surprised at how light the various components are and the cross section of the wing is really rather lovely to look at.  What's the rigidity of the assembled wing like?

*Ackercherlee... balsa is a relative newcomer to the UK aeromodelling scene.  It didn't appear here until, oooh, as recently as the mid 1930s.

Morat

« Reply #498 on: 08 July, 2023, 03:53:59 pm »
Too kind!

The wing isn't stiff enough in its current state. You can easily make the surface ripple, but it does spring back just fine. The last time I made a balsa wing it was much more rigid than this once I had doped the tissue.
The groove that runs along the top and bottom about 1/3 back from the leading edge is for a recessed length of filament (or carbon tube if you're feeling flash) which will be superglued into place. PLA on the spool is made to nice tight tolerences so this model uses it for hinges as well as this reinforcement. Prusa PLA diameter is 1.75mm +/- 0.02mm. It's useless in compression or flexion but needs to be strongish under tension to feed reliably.
I'm currently working out whether to use the standard PLA which is noticeably stronger or the LW-PLA which still contains lots of sodium bicarbonate in its raw state and is easy to snap. I suspect that the PLA may being used just as a wick/former for lots of CA glue in this application which would mean the standard PLA is twice the weight for no advantage.
I'll report back once I've done it :)

« Reply #499 on: 09 July, 2023, 01:55:54 pm »
I can't see the pictures. :(
A useful source for cheapass carbon tubes is arrow shafts.  If you are lucky, apparently you can get ones from archery clubs for free - I just ought a load at about a pound a pop on eBay. If those are too heavy, another way of stiffening it is just covering the surface in packing tape. That's super strong in tension, and very light (and you can use pretty colours).
Progress on the flying today - I passed my internal club "waiver", so I can fly on my own at their site from now on. I'm still hoping to take my A test on Saturday. I've also been flying the Scout (damaged the undercarriage on landing, so that needs some foam safe glue), and the Uno Wot got it's second maiden today - this one was successful, so that's now added to my list of flyable planes. :)