Author Topic: Flights of Fancy  (Read 85050 times)

Re: Flights of Fancy
« Reply #425 on: 12 April, 2022, 12:13:51 pm »
You may be interested to know (if you didn't already) that a lot of rubber powered duration models (e.g. Wakefield & similar classes) use single blade props.
As do some of the F2A models (control line speed, models can go over 180mph, propellor blade tips a lot more).

« Reply #426 on: 12 April, 2022, 12:33:14 pm »
It gets worse, the latest C-130T (the J is now 25 years old), which is an upgraded H-model, has 8-bladed props. They're multiplying!
Wind turbines are an interesting comparison, they have different constraints from aircraft and are almost all three blades. With three blades turbines get close to the theoretical efficiency limit (the Betz limit), but they could get closer with four blades and a lower efficiency per blade. Using four blades would improve an individual wind turbine, but in a wind farm a better use of the extra blades is to add more three bladed turbines. There are a few two bladed wind turbines, which would be an even better use of blades in a wind farm, but they are not common. I think the reason is that mechanical control of the rotation about the vertical axis is more difficult with two blades, because the moment of inertia changes so much between blades vertical and horizontal.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #427 on: 16 April, 2022, 09:11:57 pm »
What's the difference between this iteration ...

... and this iteration?

Clue.  The first iteration *didn't* do this ...  https://vimeo.com/ 700046074 (yes, yes I know - bolt em together)  which is why the second go has brand new wings, with *matching* dihedral top & bottom and the longitudinal dihedral (decalage) is about half what it was.  The 1st attempt "flew" like a drunken turkey.

Andy's launching it on my behalf for many complicated reasons, but mainly because my hand launches are a bit hit & miss.

For those that need to know these things.  Flying weight is 24.6g inc. motor (16" loop of 1/8") at 2.8g and the flight filmed was at 600 turns, which is about 50% max for the motor fitted. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

TheLurker

« Reply #428 on: 29 April, 2022, 07:56:06 pm »
Indoor Scale Nats. last weekend.  Second day was FF.  Some newsreel (not mine) from the FF day.

A summary showing both how well models can fly as well as how tricky it can be to get them to fly well.   Pedaldog, keep an eye out for the Consolidated Coronado    https://youtu.be/L2ior65DF54

A couple of the winners :

Jon Markovitz' electric Bristol Scout  https://youtu.be/NedV_PXS6cE
Richard Crossley's Aeronca Chief - https://youtu.be/MZgSJxzO7eo

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #429 on: 01 May, 2022, 08:26:15 am »
What's the difference between this iteration ...

... and this iteration?

Work of art Lurk, work of art.  Very nicely done.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #430 on: 01 May, 2022, 10:52:42 am »
Indoor Scale Nats. last weekend.  Second day was FF.  Some newsreel (not mine) from the FF day.

A summary showing both how well models can fly as well as how tricky it can be to get them to fly well.   Pedaldog, keep an eye out for the Consolidated Coronado    https://youtu.be/L2ior65DF54

A couple of the winners :

Jon Markovitz' electric Bristol Scout  https://youtu.be/NedV_PXS6cE
Richard Crossley's Aeronca Chief - https://youtu.be/MZgSJxzO7eo

Amazing stuff!

How is the flying part judged? And how does the “pilot” get it to land? Does the engine cut out after, say, 20 seconds?

TheLurker

« Reply #431 on: 01 May, 2022, 11:42:06 am »
Quote from: AndyTheFlyer
Work of...
*Blushes*  If you think that's OK, you should see some of the stuff that the experts knock together.  Stunningly good work.

Quote from: PaulF
Amazing stuff!
Isn't it though?  Way out of my league.

How is the flying part judged? And how does the “pilot” get it to land? Does the engine cut out after, say, 20 seconds?
For the scale stuff flight is judged on meeting some minimum qualifying time plus extra for time above the minimum.  Often there are bonus seconds for ROG (rise off ground i.e. a take-off) to compensate for the reduction in endurance that goes with ROG* and an aesthetic judgement of "realistic" flight characteristics.  I don't know how the realism bit is judged, one of life's mysteries on a par with the scoring for ice-dancing & rhythmic gymnastics to me.

All sorts of incredibly clever and astonishingly light electronic wizardry is available to those who use electric motors.  Speed controllers that can be programmed to give a particular engine rev profile over a given timeframe.  So a burst for take-off, drop to cruising revs at desired time/height and then wind the revs down to bring it into land.  See Jon's Bristol Scout.

It's a bit simpler with rubber & CO2.  Gravity wins after the motor no longer has enough torque (rubber) or gas (CO2) to keep the model at the Vmin required to hold level flight and after that you're into little more than a power assisted glide.  See Richard C's Aeronca Chief.

*You often have to use smaller airscrews to avoid having ridiculously oversize and non-scale undercarriages.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #432 on: 01 May, 2022, 12:32:37 pm »
Thanks!

TheLurker

« Reply #433 on: 18 May, 2022, 07:17:06 pm »
Flying last Saturday.  These are Andy Blackburn's snaps of the BE2c in flight.  As you might imagine I'm quite pleased with them.

And a random aero thought for you; if Willy Messerschmitt had been a Brit he would have been called Bill Cutler.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #434 on: 18 May, 2022, 07:36:47 pm »
Very, very well done Lurk.  Sits in the air very nicely.

TheLurker

« Reply #435 on: 16 July, 2022, 07:06:18 pm »

TheLurker

« Reply #436 on: 31 July, 2022, 05:18:42 pm »
And the next one.  It's the Dumas Ryan M-1, with ermm... improvements*.

*We shall see whether or not they** really are.
**Mostly some quite aggressive weight*** reduction measures.
***28.2g as seen.

« Reply #437 on: 01 August, 2022, 10:23:12 am »
What are the cone shaped things under each wing? I looked and some photos of the original M1 have them but it doesn't say what they are. Lights?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TheLurker

« Reply #438 on: 01 August, 2022, 03:37:29 pm »
Quote from: pcolbeck
What are the cone shaped things under each wing?
According to the plan, they're landing lights.  Me, I'm not convinced. :)  Doesn't help that representing glass well with a mix of balsa, tissue & paint is a bit tricky.   

It is likely they'll be removed at some point, but they have to stay on for now becos this one is for a comp* so has to be according to plan.  It looks better without them.

*Fun, not at all serious, more party games than comp.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #439 on: 01 August, 2022, 05:54:50 pm »
Another masterpiece Mr. L......

TheLurker

« Reply #440 on: 25 September, 2022, 09:51:32 am »
Quote from: andytheflyer
Then again, perhaps not. :)  Niche Stupidity.

On the plus side, it is *nearly* trimmed and weight without motor is a gnat's over 31g which, if ballast doesn't alter as trim is finalised, will give an AUW of 34g-35g (a 16" loop of 1/8" is typically 3.5g) which I shall be very pleased with.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #441 on: 25 September, 2022, 10:13:18 am »
Quote from: andytheflyer
Then again, perhaps not. :)  Niche Stupidity.

On the plus side, it is *nearly* trimmed and weight without motor is a gnat's over 31g which, if ballast doesn't alter as trim is finalised, will give an AUW of 34g-35g (a 16" loop of 1/8" is typically 3.5g) which I shall be very pleased with.
Well, Mr. L, I can't imagine that you have anything else to do with your time other than build and mend model aeroplanes of great lightness....

Since dispersing my fleet, I seem to spend all my time fettling motorcycles and bicycles - different toys, same result.

« Reply #442 on: 06 October, 2022, 01:40:25 pm »
Having finally given up on old semi-functioning cars, I'm in the process of learning to fly RC planes. Also, hopefully build foamboard style ones. I have bought myself a Bixler to learn on (and had a couple of goes with it on a buddy box), and a Wot4 foam-e for further progression.  Also a random balsa "wingbat" 'cos it was under £20 with all electrics included. A somewhat different scale to Lurk's masterful creations, mine are somewhere between 800g and about 1.5kg AUW.  Secondhand stuff is surprisingly cheap, I think the only new things I've bought so far have been batteries and a charger.
Photos may follow if anyone wants to see them...

TheLurker

« Reply #443 on: 06 October, 2022, 03:42:25 pm »
Quote from: DuncanM
Photos may follow if anyone wants to see them...
This thread is useless ... :)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #444 on: 07 October, 2022, 09:28:36 am »
, and a Wot4 foam-e for further progression. 
The Wot4 is a brilliant aerobatter.  Never had a foamy version as I was into building and proper engines (cough, sorry Lurk) but the foamy one is as good.  You'll really enjoy it once you get the hang of flying a trainer.

« Reply #445 on: 07 October, 2022, 03:04:20 pm »
Here's the photos:
Planes by duncancmartin, on Flickr
And the wingbat is this:

All came with motors, servos and escs, the Bixler came with a receiver and a (somewhat puffy) battery. Between them I think they cost £110? So I'm spending a load of time in the sim (Phoenix RC) and getting to go on the buddy box with the Bixler at the moment. I want to build as well, but I'm starting off with Flite Test plans and foam - I'll stick a picture up here when I've actually made something! Don't expect anything spectacular though - this is the opposite end of the hobby from Lurk's beautiful creations!

TheLurker

« Reply #446 on: 07 October, 2022, 03:33:12 pm »
Nice little fleet you've got there.

Quote from: DuncanM
...I want to build as well, but I'm starting off with Flite Test plans and foam...
If you're learning to fly RC that's far and away the most sensible approach.  Far better to risk pranging something relatively cheap and easy to replace than something you've invested weeks or months of effort in building.

> I'll stick a picture up here when I've actually made something! Don't expect anything spectacular though...
You might want to have a look at an RC version of one of Vic Smeed's designs.  Slightly old fashioned to look at, but most of them are relatively straight-forward to build and most are inherently stable.

ETA.
Or, if you are particularly interested in foamies rather than stick & tissue,  have a look in the sub-categories here : HPA Plan Gallery RC Foam/Depron

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #447 on: 07 October, 2022, 06:28:14 pm »
Here's the photos:

All came with motors, servos and escs, the Bixler came with a receiver and a (somewhat puffy) battery. Between them I think they cost £110? So I'm spending a load of time in the sim (Phoenix RC) and getting to go on the buddy box with the Bixler at the moment. I want to build as well, but I'm starting off with Flite Test plans and foam - I'll stick a picture up here when I've actually made something! Don't expect anything spectacular though - this is the opposite end of the hobby from Lurk's beautiful creations!

That do look like an Obelix in the last photo though the original kit was polystyrene foam.

Plus: Zoe! :)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #448 on: 08 October, 2022, 10:25:00 am »
If you're learning to fly RC that's far and away the most sensible approach.  Far better to risk pranging something relatively cheap and easy to replace than something you've invested weeks or months of effort in building.

What he said.......x10.  Bend a foamy, repair it with parcel tape until it's so heavy it won't fly any more.  Then get another.  Then think about building.  The 'proper' Wot4 would be a good one - easy to build and fly but very aerobatic, and forgiving.  Electric or glow are both options.

If you need a good glow engine, just ask - I've got a few doing nothing.

« Reply #449 on: 17 November, 2022, 01:08:38 pm »
I've finished my <250g plane, but it's too windy to fly it at the moment.  Here it is (approx 63cm wingspan, weighs 206g including 2s 800mAh battery under the belly to fix the CoG):
Mini scout by duncancmartin, on Flickr
It's a Flite Test Mini Scout, built out of insulation foam and tape rather than foamboard.

Thanks for the offer Andy, I'm sticking to electric for the moment...