Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 859200 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #6225 on: 25 June, 2022, 10:41:06 am »
Today I are learning that the “Steve” part of Cold War Steve's moniker refers to TV's Steve McFadden, who always appears in his collages.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6226 on: 25 June, 2022, 10:58:49 am »
Today I are learning who Steve McFadden is.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #6227 on: 25 June, 2022, 09:13:12 pm »
That the Woolwich Ferry no longer runs at weekends.... apparently since early June until further notice. I assume it's a TfL cut as they have also reduced to a one boat service every day (was two Mon-Fri). Not a big problem as a cyclist as it is always quicker to go under the river, andthe lifts are moderately reliable there, but sometimes it was nice to use the ferry.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6228 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:25:32 am »
Today I are learning who Steve McFadden is.

Ditto since you mentioned it.  I'll have forgotten by lunchtime.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6229 on: 26 June, 2022, 12:36:26 pm »
That the Woolwich Ferry no longer runs at weekends.... apparently since early June until further notice. I assume it's a TfL cut as they have also reduced to a one boat service every day (was two Mon-Fri). Not a big problem as a cyclist as it is always quicker to go under the river, andthe lifts are moderately reliable there, but sometimes it was nice to use the ferry.
They've also cut down on the staffing levels to the point where it only takes a couple of staff to call in sick, causing them  to have insufficient crew to operate the service safely.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6231 on: 28 June, 2022, 07:33:15 am »
Bloody 'ell.  The bastard should pedal the bike for that price.

ian

« Reply #6232 on: 28 June, 2022, 08:42:27 am »
They've also cut down on the staffing levels to the point where it only takes a couple of staff to call in sick, causing them  to have insufficient crew to operate the service safely.

Every time I've been over that way recently it's been suspended, probably for this reason. I don't think I've seen it running since they added the new boats.

« Reply #6233 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:07:11 am »
TfL website says one boat service 07.00-18.00 Mon-Fri only.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/river/woolwich-ferry?intcmp=16238

Seem to recall there being some dispute with the operating staff.

« Reply #6234 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:09:54 am »
TfL website says one boat service 07.00-18.00 Mon-Fri only.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/river/woolwich-ferry?intcmp=16238

Seem to recall there being some dispute with the operating staff.
I think that the staff's gripe was along the lines of he can only operate one boat at a time.

ian

« Reply #6235 on: 28 June, 2022, 09:18:07 am »
I'm not sure why they bothered replacing the boats (at presumably great expense), that's effectively no longer a ferry service.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6236 on: 28 June, 2022, 10:05:35 am »
They put Chris Grayling in charge?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6237 on: 28 June, 2022, 12:32:54 pm »
That somebody who isn't Radical Designs or Brompton makes a seat pack with a £200 price tag

FTFY   ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6238 on: 30 June, 2022, 01:24:35 pm »
That the Faroe islands had prohibition of alcohol from 1907 to 1992, following a referendum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1907_Faroese_alcohol_referendum
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #6239 on: 01 July, 2022, 06:23:18 pm »
Today I had a dividend from a share I hold.

Suppose I owned 1000 shares.  A dividend of 2.07p per share. I would expect £20.70

The share website showed the payment split in two. So a truncation error occurred and I got a total of £20.69.

Theft! they have stolen a penny from me :-)

So I enquired, WTF.

Apparently the dividend was made up of normal share income and interest payments so the dividend had to be split.  Always good to learn something. My dividend calculation of my spreadsheet has got a little less ignorant.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6240 on: 02 July, 2022, 05:03:50 pm »
If you need to oil your front derailleur, do it the night before you ride and not immediately beforehand.  Mine was sticky for the first 40k and fine thereafter: it took that long for the oil to penetrate.

« Reply #6241 on: 02 July, 2022, 09:00:34 pm »
That John Ashe, the brother of Arthur Ashe, volunteered for a second tour of Vietnam so that Arthur wouldn’t need to serve there and could continue his tennis career.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6242 on: 03 July, 2022, 11:46:46 am »
Watching some wallpaper (well, reading whilst my wife fell asleep to some wallpaper) I learnt that there is a very un-wolf like Spotted Wolf (more like a short haired hyena). Also that on the Galapagos there is a Vampire Finch that pecks at Boobies, principally to annoy them off the nest so eggs can be stolen, but that takes advantage by drinking the blood it draws.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #6243 on: 05 July, 2022, 05:39:51 pm »
By the end of the last little disagreement between the Germanic tribes and almost everybody else, a brown bear had been promoted to the rank of Corporal in the Polish army
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

ian

« Reply #6244 on: 05 July, 2022, 06:11:57 pm »
I discovered you can put '&' in xlookup in Excel to combine two lookup criteria. This gave me inordinate pleasure. Still, spare a moment for those array formulae, now left to contemplate the void.

« Reply #6245 on: 06 July, 2022, 10:04:51 pm »
The Bortle scale of light pollution. A  9 level scale of the background night light level.

« Reply #6246 on: 06 July, 2022, 10:14:32 pm »
When formatting hours and minutes in Excel , the format [hh]:mm , ensures that hours are not mod 24.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6247 on: 06 July, 2022, 10:28:02 pm »
When formatting hours and minutes in Excel , the format [hh]:mm , ensures that hours are not mod 24.

Doing stuff with time in excel is so fraught with pitfalls, I tend to write down what I've done to make it work, such as how I can get actual hours:min:sec, rather than taking (hours-hours in whole days):min:sec, or is tha what you meant?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6248 on: 07 July, 2022, 11:29:26 am »
That former World Chess Champion Mikhail Tal had only 3 digits on his right hand.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6249 on: 07 July, 2022, 11:52:16 am »

Doing stuff with time in excel is so fraught with pitfalls, I tend to write down what I've done to make it work, such as how I can get actual hours:min:sec, rather than taking (hours-hours in whole days):min:sec, or is tha what you meant?

That's what I'd understand "mod 24" to mean - the remainder after division by 24.  It's an operator in most programming languages, often represented by the '%' symbol (though it's 'Mod' in Excel VBA).