Author Topic: Is it the end of cash?  (Read 38544 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Is it the end of cash?
« Reply #200 on: 02 July, 2022, 05:21:29 pm »
Professor Sir Field Marshal Timelord Jun Nogami is about to owe me a substantial sum of money for the purchase of an anemometer and sending to Canada, where the BEARS live.  I'm going to suggest that he pays me in crispy folding USAnian banknotes in Battle Mountain rather than faff about with international money transfers or enriching the thieves at PayPal.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #201 on: 02 July, 2022, 08:00:25 pm »
I did pay my airport taxi with cash (mostly because I remembered that my account there is an old corporate card from an employer I no longer work for). You know we don't use them now he says, regarding my handful of proffered £20s.

They have changed them into some kind of weird plastic thing. I knew it had happened to £10s but no one told me about £20s.

He took them anyway. It's also gone up to £50 for a trip to Gatwick.

Is it the end of cash?
« Reply #202 on: 02 July, 2022, 09:05:49 pm »
When I go running I have a Garmin watch on one wrist, set up for Garmin Pay, and an Apple Watch, set up for Apple Pay, on the other as backup.

Apart from that all I have is my house key.

Cannot recall the last time I used cash, or even had any on me, so retailers so are ‘cash only’ lose my business.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #203 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:03:53 pm »
When I go running I have a Garmin watch on one wrist, set up for Garmin Pay, and an Apple Watch, set up for Apple Pay, on the other as backup.
But where's the backup to your backup?
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87521.msg2733346#msg2733346
 :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #204 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:05:38 pm »
I did pay my airport taxi with cash (mostly because I remembered that my account there is an old corporate card from an employer I no longer work for). You know we don't use them now he says, regarding my handful of proffered £20s.

They have changed them into some kind of weird plastic thing. I knew it had happened to £10s but no one told me about £20s.

He took them anyway. It's also gone up to £50 for a trip to Gatwick.

If you find any more, you can pay them into your bank account at the post office.

ian

« Reply #205 on: 02 July, 2022, 11:00:59 pm »
I presume that’s what he did. But I didn’t know, we have a taxi cash stash in the kitchen that has been sitting around for a while. I pilfered that as I forgot to go to a cash machine.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #206 on: 02 July, 2022, 11:22:51 pm »

Yebbut, what time is it?

;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #207 on: 03 July, 2022, 01:03:57 am »
My local pub are cash free.  Anyone who pays with their phone or watch (looking at you Syd) I accuse of being a witch and reckon we should burn!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #208 on: 03 July, 2022, 07:15:08 am »
A local pub has reintroduced a £5 minimum spend if paying by card.  Pre Covid that was fairly common in some shops too.  Since this is not in a big city, a pint costs considerably less than that £5.

« Reply #209 on: 03 July, 2022, 07:39:49 am »

Cannot recall the last time I used cash, or even had any on me, so retailers so are ‘cash only’ lose my business.

Crikey.  And people used to think that bank charges were exhorbitant!  Close to a grand of tech on your wrists to avoid carrying a banknote.

In your risk analysis, what happens when you find no signal, the reader in the shop is playing up, or even a power cut? 

It's horses for courses of course.  I would choose not to patronise a place that was exclusively contactless. 

Is it the end of cash?
« Reply #210 on: 03 July, 2022, 08:00:18 am »
But where's the backup to your backup?
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87521.msg2733346#msg2733346
 :D
Telephone connectivity built into Apple Watch and a wife able to respond

ian

« Reply #211 on: 04 July, 2022, 09:46:54 am »

Crikey.  And people used to think that bank charges were exhorbitant!  Close to a grand of tech on your wrists to avoid carrying a banknote.

In your risk analysis, what happens when you find no signal, the reader in the shop is playing up, or even a power cut? 

It's horses for courses of course.  I would choose not to patronise a place that was exclusively contactless.

What happens if you lose your cash, etc? I don't think the only use for a smartwatch is payment, they do other things. I've heard a rumour that they even tell the time.

It's not a battle, of course, cashless offers a convenient payment mechanism, I rarely carry a wallet which is liberating, I could wear a nice dress, and be pocketless like a lady. Huzzah. That doesn't mean cash should disappear, we still need it for paying off blackmailers and those late-night transactions in the pub toilets.

« Reply #212 on: 04 July, 2022, 09:53:08 am »
My main use for cash is buying eggs from roadside eggboxes.
Oh, and paying for weekly veg box.

Since both are from neighbour-over-the-hill I could start paying him online I guess.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #213 on: 04 July, 2022, 10:24:26 am »

It's not a battle, of course, cashless offers a convenient payment mechanism, I rarely carry a wallet which is liberating, I could wear a nice dress, and be pocketless like a lady. Huzzah. That doesn't mean cash should disappear, we still need it for paying off blackmailers and those late-night transactions in the pub toilets.

Isn't that what bitcoin is for?

Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #214 on: 08 July, 2022, 07:59:53 pm »

Over £2k depending on which Garmin I wear. I wear way more than that in value with some of my mechanical wristwatches.

I’ve been caught out in the past with shops that would not take cash. Not yet been caught out contactless. My local buses take contactless payment so have got a way home if necessary.

« Reply #215 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:02:39 pm »
My main use for cash is buying eggs from roadside eggboxes.
Oh, and paying for weekly veg box.

Since both are from neighbour-over-the-hill I could start paying him online I guess.
Roadside egg boxes I’ve used lately have a choice of cash box or PayPal. They give their details on a notice so you can send them money.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #216 on: 08 July, 2022, 09:03:49 pm »
I'm reading a history of King John. It mentions that in 11th and 12th century England there was only one denomination of coin in circulation, the silver penny. It even gives a rough estimate of the total number of silvery pennies in existence at the time. And mentions that historians calculate that one silver penny in around 1200 was worth the equivalent of approximately £20 now. But there was, apparently, no smaller coinage. A time before cash for most people in daily life?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #217 on: 09 July, 2022, 11:35:26 am »
I'm reading a history of King John. It mentions that in 11th and 12th century England there was only one denomination of coin in circulation, the silver penny. It even gives a rough estimate of the total number of silvery pennies in existence at the time. And mentions that historians calculate that one silver penny in around 1200 was worth the equivalent of approximately £20 now. But there was, apparently, no smaller coinage. A time before cash for most people in daily life?

Yes. but if you look at the coins, you'll notice that there was a cross on one side. This is nothing about religion, but rather so you could cut the coin to make halves and forths.

Because the penny was worth 1 penny of silver, if you needed a quarter pennyth of silver you just cut the coin up.

There was also a system of taxation whereby every x years you had to take your coins to the local mint to be remade, whereby you'd give them 100 old coins, and they gave you back 90 new coins.

Useless trivia, if you have £1 of new pennnies now, they weigh. One pound. It's not the same as the pound we use for tomatoes, but rather the tower pound, as used for a pound sterling for centuries. So in theory £1 of pennies now, should weigh the same as £1 of silver pennies from 800 years ago. Also 100 1p coins weighs the same as 50 2p coins...

This is why our currency is sterling. £1 was literally 1 pound of sterling silver.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #218 on: 09 July, 2022, 01:37:01 pm »
Only whole coins could be used to pay taxes though. Besides which, a quarter of a penny is still the equivalent of a fiver. Okay, stuffs were more expensive generally, but that still seems to leave a lot of things below the minimum payment possible.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #219 on: 09 July, 2022, 04:03:23 pm »
I am annoyed to see that since McColls run into trouble. My local newsagent now requires cash if I choose to buy a paper.

« Reply #220 on: 09 July, 2022, 05:42:34 pm »
You still need a pound coin (or at least something the size and shape of a pound coin) to get a trolley at Sainsos.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #221 on: 09 July, 2022, 07:21:17 pm »
I have a few old pound coins which I use for the gym locker, shopping trolleys and any other purpose if I can think of one.  🤔

A very good small local cafe has asked customers who can pay using coins to please do as they struggle for change in a world of contactless and cashpoint offerings.  Apparently their bank is quite expensive for drawing coins.  As they use an iPad and a card reader all transactions are recorded so I don't see any issues with the usual bleating about tax evasion.

I am more than happy to buy my chai latte and cookie or cake with a pocketful of loose change.  👍

« Reply #222 on: 09 July, 2022, 07:27:25 pm »
You still need a pound coin (or at least something the size and shape of a pound coin) to get a trolley at Sainsos.
Not used a shopping trolley in years. Home delivery with it paid online beforehand.

On the rare occasion I need anything extra it’s a short walk to the local supermarket and the use of a basket for a few items.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #223 on: 09 July, 2022, 08:35:36 pm »
Also not used a trolley in years, but because I buy no more than I can carry on my bike. Unless you count a pull-along basket as a trolley – like so many things, it's no longer a binary choice. But whatever you call them, they require no deposit coin.

« Reply #224 on: 09 July, 2022, 10:05:03 pm »
Not used a shopping trolley in years. Home delivery with it paid online beforehand.

I don't currently have a postcode so home delivery is not an option. A trolley is easier with panniers in it than a basket. I used to have a plastic Euro from Carrefour that would also operate Sterling trollies, but sadly lost.

But as per the thread title, it won't be the end of cash until trolleys accept contactless.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.