Author Topic: Ridding Mum's driveway of weeds.  (Read 10834 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Ridding Mum's driveway of weeds.
« Reply #25 on: 30 May, 2022, 04:13:39 pm »
A few years ago it was simple - sodium chlorate.  Now that's been banned, you can try Roundup but IME other weeds will spring up to replace the zapped ones.  Sodium chlorate used to stop anything growing for six months.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #26 on: 30 May, 2022, 06:07:24 pm »
I use a simple solution for dandelions in our garden , on a hot day it kills them within 1 day.   Get one of those small 1 1/2-2 ltrs pump up hand spray bottles, £ shop had them I think.   pour in a bottle of NEAT malt vinegar, IIRC Lidl/Aldi are about 40p a bottle, (maybe 30p?) , then put in a squirt of neat washing up liquid (acts as a surfactant), then replace lid, give it a good shae, give it a few pumps, and away you go. Spray at the base as it kills the roots, but remember it will kill anything elase as well. Works wonders on slugs and snails as well, (just don't watch).
Tests were done, with neat vinegar, diluted vinegar, and the above. Guess which was best.  ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 30 May, 2022, 06:12:05 pm »
I'm sure the USAF must have some Agent Orange left.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #28 on: 30 May, 2022, 06:33:22 pm »
Spray at the base as it kills the roots,
You can also spray on the leaves of the weeds, as the crease on the leaves act as a funnel to
let all liquid (rain or weed-killer solution) drain into it's digestive system.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #29 on: 31 May, 2022, 09:25:58 am »
I use a simple solution for dandelions in our garden , on a hot day it kills them within 1 day.   Get one of those small 1 1/2-2 ltrs pump up hand spray bottles, £ shop had them I think.   pour in a bottle of NEAT malt vinegar, IIRC Lidl/Aldi are about 40p a bottle, (maybe 30p?) , then put in a squirt of neat washing up liquid (acts as a surfactant), then replace lid, give it a good shae, give it a few pumps, and away you go. Spray at the base as it kills the roots, but remember it will kill anything elase as well. Works wonders on slugs and snails as well, (just don't watch).
Tests were done, with neat vinegar, diluted vinegar, and the above. Guess which was best.  ;)

Stupid question can I get away with white vinegar?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 31 May, 2022, 12:47:53 pm »
Sounds like a job for industrial strength non-brewed condiment...

« Reply #31 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:03:57 am »
I am finding malt vinegar truly awesome against weeds (and ants). :thumbsup: